Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Doesn’t matter.  It is now in the broader press, and even has CA DoJ docs linked.  Completely predictable that this would happen. 

What would have prevented this from happening?  Transparency from the leadership. Answering questions. Reaching out to alumni instead of alienating them.  Now we shine the bright light on it. It’s generally a very good disinfectant. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

What would have prevented this from happening?  Transparency from the leadership. Answering questions. Reaching out to alumni instead of alienating them.  Now we shine the bright light on it. It’s generally a very good disinfectant. 

Exactly.  

Bad news NEVER gets better with age.  Get the ugly out there early, deal with it before it grows and explodes.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Wrong.  Doing their job would have kept this from happening.  Transparency has zero to do with being compliant.  Hopefully the people working on this are getting the job done.  Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Wrong.  Doing their job would have kept this from happening.  Transparency has zero to do with being compliant.  Hopefully the people working on this are getting the job done.  Time will tell.

The time will tell part is big.  I saw a comment on Reddit this morning that said that there's a total of 7.5 DOJ staff working on processing delinquent organizations in California.  I had previously looked up and found that there were over 33,000 organizations classified as "delinquent" back in May.  With that small of a staff, and that high of a number of delinquencies, I don't see how anything gets resolved quickly with SCV (or any other CA charities either).  Maybe I'm wrong, but government agencies are notorious for working slow even when properly staffed.  Throw in under-staffing, and I can see it being an extended wait for even the slightest update.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Transparency has a lot to do with having your supporters support you, instead of going public with a complaint. That was my point. Not whether they are complaint with the state.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I will say I’m kind of impressed that this thread lasted long enough without a moderator shutdown that we can discuss this latest development without having to open a new thread. 

Beleive it or not, we don't go out of our way to close threads.. quite the opposite actually. You don't see just how much cleaning up of threads we do in an effort to keep them open. THe only time we actually close threads are...

A... The thread has completely and utterly ran its course
B... It has become so off the rails that it is completely unmanagable or
C... it is a clear and blatant duplicate thread.

That's it folks. Believe it or not, the admin team actually LIKES conversations and ENCOURAGES challenging discourse

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Transparency has a lot to do with having your supporters support you, instead of going public with a complaint. That was my point. Not whether they are complaint with the state.  

Yes and no.  There are people that have an axe to grind and people that actually mean to help.  That's why when you see weakness like SCV has shown, the big ugly side comes out in force.  BTW this isn't just an SCV thing to be clear.  This is an ugly human thing that pervades everywhere.

48 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

The time will tell part is big.  I saw a comment on Reddit this morning that said that there's a total of 7.5 DOJ staff working on processing delinquent organizations in California.  I had previously looked up and found that there were over 33,000 organizations classified as "delinquent" back in May.  With that small of a staff, and that high of a number of delinquencies, I don't see how anything gets resolved quickly with SCV (or any other CA charities either).  Maybe I'm wrong, but government agencies are notorious for working slow even when properly staffed.  Throw in under-staffing, and I can see it being an extended wait for even the slightest update.

You aren't wrong.  Going to take moving mountains at this point.  Been there done that on a smaller scale including a liquor license that lapsed for the non-profit (big time one here that dwarfs non-profit).  Going to be a LOT of driving to places of government and sitting in offices.

27 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Beleive it or not, we don't go out of our way to close threads.. quite the opposite actually. You don't see just how much cleaning up of threads we do in an effort to keep them open. THe only time we actually close threads are...

A... The thread has completely and utterly ran its course
B... It has become so off the rails that it is completely unmanagable or
C... it is a clear and blatant duplicate thread.

That's it folks. Believe it or not, the admin team actually LIKES conversations and ENCOURAGES challenging discourse

I appreciate that you go to this effort; option B seems the route many SCV threads take.  

18 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Yes and no.  There are people that have an axe to grind and people that actually mean to help.  That's why when you see weakness like SCV has shown, the big ugly side comes out in force.  BTW this isn't just an SCV thing to be clear.  This is an ugly human thing that pervades everywhere.

So in your view Mr. Lesher is engaging in axe grinding. Got it. Can you tell me what is inaccurate in the article linked by fighterkit a few pages back?