Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Everyone is typing these long response. Why? SCV is competing in 2024.

well for now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Whatever. Seems like some on here want barriers up for SCV return....for whatever reasons but they are competing whether some like it or not.

or we want them to compete AND be compliant with their home state

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any legal experts know the impact of going on tour as a for profit organization? Keeping track of different state taxes on souvenir sales gotta be a headache.

Not replying as an expert at all here... but just piping in to say that I've mentioned in the past that drum corps could forgo the nonprofit status thing and possibly cure a lot of headaches. Most really aren't using the np model to its fullest anyway. There are B corp- (as in social benefit corps) style business models that totally fit their missions. It would be a sea change, but not impossible. I will throw babies at Vanguard if they're considering such a switch. And definitely offer, again, to lend a hand.

But more than for any other reason, they'll keep fighting for NP status, I believe, because they don't want to lose bingo.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

Lots or response but it means nothing. Very DCP.

Only response that counts will be from the state IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Not replying as an expert at all here... but just piping in to say that I've mentioned in the past that drum corps could forgo the nonprofit status thing and possibly cure a lot of headaches. Most really aren't using the np model to its fullest anyway. There are B corp- (as in social benefit corps) style business models that totally fit their missions. It would be a sea change, but not impossible. I will throw babies at Vanguard if they're considering such a switch. And definitely offer, again, to lend a hand.

But more than for any other reason, they'll keep fighting for NP status, I believe, because they don't want to lose bingo.

When my old car group lost its non profit the concern I heard was taxes (this is PA). Group holds an annual national car show each October which is almost the only way they make money. State taking their cut must have hurt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

When my old car group lost its non profit the concern I heard was taxes (this is PA). Group holds an annual national car show each October which is almost the only way they make money. State taking their cut must have hurt.

I won't argue further for dropping NP status here, it would be a moot point since no org is seriously considering it AFAIK. Survival first. I'm just saying the NP model is clunky and slow to respond to real-world issues, most corps aren't even close to leveraging its full potential, and NP status is a lot to maintain. There are reasons to look to other models, but if corps want to keep kicking the can down the road with the same old ways of thinking I've certainly proven there's nothing I can do to stop them. 🤘🏽😎

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I won't argue further for dropping NP status here, it would be a moot point since no org is seriously considering it AFAIK. Survival first. I'm just saying the NP model is clunky and slow to respond to real-world issues, most corps aren't even close to leveraging its full potential, and NP status is a lot to maintain. There are reasons to look to other models, but if corps want to keep kicking the can down the road with the same old ways of thinking I've certainly proven there's nothing I can do to stop them. 🤘🏽😎

Sounds close to what I saw and heard. With the caveat that general members weren’t told much. And the mantra of “this is the way we’ve always done it” (as laws and times change 🤦‍♂️)

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Cadets were on probation. they were never suspended by DCI unless they didn't change leadership. Pio i believe was suspended unless they changed leadership which they didn't.

oh and technically the corps are DCI

There is probation, and then there is Double Secret Probation 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh and technically the corps are DCI

Yes,  the Corps are DCI.  So if Cadets lawsuit is allowed to add DCI as a defendant (with SoA lawsuit already naming DCI), does that mean if judgement is against DCI then all the Corps (that are DCI) will have to chip in to pay the settlement?   

• Thanks 1