Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

12 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

3 MILLION???? Who’s playing all this bingo?

This is effectively why SCV can totally blow off everyone. They don't need donors. Doing almost nothing they have nearly $4M to work with, a self selecting board, and only lethargic government oversight to keep them in check (and they are even blowing that). 

9 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

The Bay Area silicon valley of California ($$$), and I think SCV gets 4 Bingo Days a week. 

So yea, throw in all the other income sources, and donations (when they can legally solicit them) SCV could be looking at $5,000,000 in working cash flow before collecting once cent from one kid. Easily $4,000,000

So roughly $15k a night. Our corps had bingo for a few years until no smoking laws clobbered all bingo in the state. Roughly how many people show up for a game?

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So roughly $15k a night. Our corps had bingo for a few years until no smoking laws clobbered all bingo in the state. Roughly how many people show up for a game?

I couldn't tell ya. Net $300K a month isn't insane. Net $100K would be a very bad month. I can tell you it takes 17 or so working staff to run a Bingo night. 

What I never understood is bingo players are at war with each other. You only need ONE bingo card to play a game, but folks would buy more cards to play the same game for the same pot. So there could be a little old lady there with 8 bingo cards playing one game and she spent 8X against the guy who only bought one card. 

So then the next time the guy buys 8X cards to match his odds of winning. The Pot is fixed, it is not dependent upon the number of players. If all the players realized they could all just buy 1X they'd still have the same odds against each other bingo income would tank. 

There are all sorts of permutation of Bingo games and it keeps the night pretty active. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

This is, I kid you not from March 2023 on their website, 

“The Taj Palace offered us the opportunity to run bingo on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings as well as some weekends with special events bingos during holidays when the hall isn’t being used.

Also, very importantly, it will be used on Sunday afternoons and evenings for Corps rehearsals” sorry WHAT CORPS??

Wow.  Maybe for parades.  DCA isn’t even around anymore for them to try to weasel in there. 

2 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went through the DCI Ethics Manual line by line, and pointed out violations of DCI Ethics and State Law by SCV employees and core leadership, and I provided the proof and sent that to the entirety of the DCI board at the time, and the generic ethics e-mail, and here we are a YEAR LATER, and SCV is potentially 120 days away from non profit revocation. 

Must be frustrating , I’m sure . I really don’t know what to make of it at the moment . DCI apparently seems to assess that SCV is operating in good faith , will satisfy the state of Calif , get the delinquency status ultimately fixed , and is now good to go as a result of their conversations with them .  I get that this assessment does not jive with yours . I appreciate your input and assessments and status reports . Im intrigued to see this all unfolds . I hope DCI ‘s oversight of SCV and its assessment of its legal means to field a Corps this summer comes to fruition for both SCV and DCI . I shudder to think what could happen if SCV  does not have their obligations completed satisfactorily to enable them to field a corps st this late juncture . SCV is collecting audition income at the moment and holding auditions . 

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

How much money is SCV making from bingo?? It can’t be THAT much

Net profit on their 2019 990 shows over $3 million from gaming, from $11 million in gross. NET profit, after payouts. 

It was/is THAT much. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Net profit on their 2019 990 shows over $3 million from gaming, from $11 million in gross. NET profit, after payouts. 

It was/is THAT much. 

What the hell happened that caused the current situation we are in?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow.  Maybe for parades.  DCA isn’t even around anymore for them to try to weasel in there. 

Don’t worry the Canadian show band association is still around.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

What the hell happened that caused the current situation we are in?

Weirdly enough, they have more money than anyone but BD, but consistently, the worst financial (and self) controls in the business. What happened? Well the problem is that they couldn't really tell ya. Staff turnover at the admin level has been a problem for at least a decade, so there's that.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

in the case of SoA, i believe it was how DCI handled or didn't handle things when the issue came to light in either late 21 or early 22.  From reading the Cadets issue, i don't recall ever seeing DCI was notified early on in the process of the issue.

Yes, the latest Cadets recent lawsuit  issue seemed to come out of the blue on that one . I don’t know what DCI knew , nor when they knew it