Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

16 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

If DCI Hg did not themselves believe they had some degree of oversight responsibilities of its member Corps, and the authority that empowers them to police the internal affairs of any of its member Corps, and at their discretion, then they'd have not been at least a dozen examples  since DCI's founding where DCI Hg has suspended, or put on probation, and even revoked membership of its member Corps

Yeah, no, I just don't think any judge would give much credence to this line of argument. Enforcing matters of membership -- whether SCV's membership requirements wrt DCI are in order and imposing requirements upon them to bring them into order -- is simply not the same thing, as a matter of law, as having managerial responsibility for the operations of the corps wrt to its own marching members and to whatever local and state regulators are relevant.

As a matter of PR and of protecting the brand, DCI has every interest in disassociating itself from bad odors. But as a matter of law, I don't see any line connecting the DCI dot with the SCV dot.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Perhaps the lawyers among us can clarify.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

I'm choosing to give Santa Clara's Board and Management team the benefit of the doubt.  No, it obviously doesn't look good right now, but the COVID shut down in CA really DID have a negative impact on many business, profit, and non-profit.  I'm hoping their back 990's are submitted soon to avoid a suspension or revocation of their non-profit status.

OTOH....😬.....I have seen "this" movie before.  There once was a national known corps that folded.  Years later, a former director took control of the name in an effort to "restart" the corps.  A 5013c status was obtained and a very-very profitable bingo game was built.  A LOT of cash was coming in but the new corps never materialized.  Occasionally, a small winter guard or drum line was put out but that was it.  The cash coming in was not spent on the product on the field as it should have been.  Where did all the money go.......?  Wellllllllll......

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

... but giving an email address without permission is a personal security no no. 

Funny you say that. SCV sort of did the same thing with drumming up support for members going to other corps in 2023. If one wanted to support a kid at a different corps it was easy to get that information via the alumni association via SCV history of members.

It was creepy as hell, all these SCV senior citizens going around supporting "SCV alumni" that went to other corps (my take is, welp, that's their home now, not SCV) trying to keep the "SCV family" going. 

Good Lord....

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

OTOH....😬.....I have seen "this" movie before.  There once was a national known corps that folded.  Years later, a former director took control of the name in an effort to "restart" the corps.  A 5013c status was obtained and a very-very profitable bingo game was built.  A LOT of cash was coming in but the new corps never materialized.  Occasionally, a small winter guard or drum line was put out but that was it.  The cash coming in was not spent on the product on the field as it should have been.  Where did all the money go.......?  Wellllllllll......

I think I know of whom you speak

As of now if one looks at the CA DOJ registry database SCV has two pending registration submissions that would take them through FY 2022. 

We know me of course so I think it's all a stall tactic, and based on previous history going back to 2020 there is nothing to indicate these submissions will be complete and correct. 

The 2021 submission was rejected for wrong form and wrong fee. 

The 2022 submission is pending. 

BOTH will need accompanying audits to actually remove the delinquency.  Since when the 2021 submission incorrectly posted audited statements in error (they were duplicate of FY19) and pulled the next day, and subsequently didn't quickly follow up with a correction I am suspect that an FY21 audit is not available (let alone 2022). 

I suspect they simply submitted the registration form without accompanying financials. Yes, the FY21 990's are now posted even while FY21 is still pending, but I do not see the FY2022 990s. 

These actions allow the continued narrative from SCV leadership that "we are working with State Regulators.................." but I think they are merely stalling. 

Right???????????? Their registration expired in March 2020, the CA DOJ notified them as of NOV-2020, and not once was it acknowledged until April-2023 when I plastered it all over the internet. 

The Lawyer that SCV sent after me implying legal action turned out to be a board member at the time SCV started their Delinquency. 

Then November-2023 the State Tax Board is brought into the equation through the DOJ, which is after when the CEO has said things are in motion with regulatory filings. 

Presuming the recent filings appease the delinquencies and make SCV current they do not fix the Bingo violations, nor the $1,000,000 of donations that were solicited while delinquent. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It would seem the BETTER tactic is to take a CURRENTLY OPERATING non profit and Bingo Business and feign economic difficulties 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

Funny you say that. SCV sort of did the same thing with drumming up support for members going to other corps in 2023. If one wanted to support a kid at a different corps it was easy to get that information via the alumni association via SCV history of members.

It was creepy as hell, all these SCV senior citizens going around supporting "SCV alumni" that went to other corps (my take is, welp, that's their home now, not SCV) trying to keep the "SCV family" going. 

Good Lord....

Fellow brass alum / SCV senior citizen (or “Uncle”, as locals call us elders here in Hawaii) from the GR era as well here…I will respectfully disagree as I did not see it that way at all. I heard of one brass performer who marched Nirvana 2022 (and hence, is an alum) but was affected by the 2023 inactivity after being contracted; this was not via some “seedy search” done in the wee hours of the night but via their former band director (with whom I marched) who posted it on their FB page * with the performer’s approval *.  Since my son (also an alum) had already aged out in 2021 I opted to sponsor that performer for Crown ‘23 not for “SCV family sake” but for the chance they might win the Ott as I did, and they were very successful. 

Not everything has nefarious overtones. 

Edited by TRacer
Stupid auto-correct
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok we had a disconnect, I was talking about Pioneer in Wl

Yeah I know. Im joking that they are looking for a ceo (maybe) and why not I give it a shot, I can’t be worse than SCV’s management.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm choosing to give Santa Clara's Board and Management team the benefit of the doubt.  No, it obviously doesn't look good right now, but the COVID shut down in CA really DID have a negative impact on many business, profit, and non-profit.  I'm hoping their back 990's are submitted soon to avoid a suspension or revocation of their non-profit status.

What corps?

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

Fellow brass alum / SCV senior citizen (or “Uncle”, as locals call us elders here in Hawaii) from the GR era as well here…I will respectfully disagree as I did not see it that way at all. I heard of one brass performer who marched Nirvana 2022 (and hence, is an alum) but was affected by the 2023 inactivity after being contracted; this was not via some “seedy search” done in the wee hours of the night but via their former band director (whom I marched with) who posted it on their FB page * with the performers’ approval *.  Since my son (also an alum) had already aged out in 2021 I opted to sponsor that performer for Crown ‘23 not for “SCV family sake” but for the chance they might win the Ott as I did, and they were very successful. 

Not everything has nefarious overtones. 

I'll bridge this gap.

I think it was largely well intentioned. It was the execution for me what was concerning, as it was, by some measure, still a recruiting tool. It's best-practice to have a salaried employee in charge of alumni/prospective member contact info/databases, rather than volunteers. For the same reasons we don't see as much unvetted alum housing new members,  AFAIK.

I'll eat my hat if alumni volunteers underwent background checks or some such other safeguarding measures. Also, I'm assuming those contacted weren't minors, as that could break some serious laws without explicit guardian consent.

Posted policies and procedures would go a long way to clear this up.