Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

18 hours ago, DAL-27 said:

@Richard Lesher

You appear to have the most inside information and appear to be able to provide supported factual information (i.e., links to the DOJ website/forms etc.)

Can you confirm if the above statement from the auditor is correct?  The auditors completed the audit on Nov 6. 2018 for their Fiscal Year ending Oct 31, 2018.  Am I reading that wrong?  6 days to complete an audit in 2018?  Am I missing something? Also is there a BOD connection to this audit firm?

Also can you (or anyone else) confirm the accuracy of the statement just released by VMAPA that they had accounting/bookeeping turnover (what was the typical staffing there for the organization) in the timeframe that was mentioned?  Also can you (or anyone else) confirm that they changed accounting systems?  Can you provide a timeline on the CFO & CEO situation around the same time period?  If I recall what's been reported correctly it was just basically a case of musical chairs until the recent departure of the CFO?

I'm just looking for some FACTs.  If you don't mind just answering the questions w/o color commentary it would be much appreciated. I get the regulatory issues they currently are in but I'd like to come to my own conclusions.

The below link is a depository for 990's DOJ notices, and relevant laws and ordinances SCV must comply with

http://www.truthindrumcorps.com/

I haven't uploaded the latest DOJ notices or the 2022 990 yet, but those are available through there relevant sources. 

I cannot refute the shown auditor statement. Nor do I suspect it. 2018 numbers are good, and they attest to 2019 numbers (all be it, it took till 2022 to get there). A possible explanation for a quick audit is the CPA firm has been providing the bookkeeping of SCV via an hourly bookkeeper service. So the audit process has probably started BEFORE the actual year end.  This was the practice when I was the SCV Treasurer. 

Disclosure: I Richard Lesher, CFA/MBA and Captain US Army Reserve (current job) served as a board member of SCV from 2006-2012, and am the longest tenured SCV Treasurer since 2001. 

The CPA's that SCV uses were the ones we used while I was there. I am the one that set up the bookkeeper relationship through the CPA firm because SCV couldn't be trusted to hire their own. 

I have the current CPA firm in my e-mail address book from that history. 

I cannot "confirm" the accounting situation. I have sources I highly trust that said SCV got rid of the CPA firm bookkeeper and started doing bookkeeping in house. So I speculate there is no bookkeeping going on at all, certainly not to the level it would make simply filing the 990s very easy. 

Otherwise this wouldn't drag on like this. 

CFO CEO situation:

2019 Charles Frost (championship 2018 CEO) left SCV. 

2020 Brett Bernardini CEO makes a mess of things while COVID is going on and gets fired. 

2020 a combo team of current board members become CEO/CFO Jeremy Van Wert had about 1 year on the board before he became CEO. The chosen CFO Mike Kovalich had been serving on the board since when I had left the board so at this time he's looking at 10 years of experience. 

2021 and 2022 are under the management of Mike and Jeremy. There are no corps operations going on, they have more than two years to figure things out. DOJ delinquency started back in 2020. 

2022 Mike K retires ( I get it, he's an old guy, and was there way back when I was on the board, and he was old then). Now............. here's the kicker. Jennifer Bauman becomes CFO in September 2022. 

Jennifer Bauman started on the Board of SCV in

2016  Director

2017 Treasurer

2018 Treasurer

2019 Treasurer 

2020 Treasurer  

2021 President

2022 President

2023 CFO

That creates a pretty big problem doesn't it? She was in charge of SCV's finances from the time they were perfectly compliant and under the guidance of a CPA firm bookkeeper, to the time they started their delinquency, to the time they ran the finances into the ground, to the time both drum corps were shut down, to the time the DOJ issued a warning that the State Franchise Tax Board has been asked to revoke SCV's nonprofit status. 

Sometimes a duck is nothing more than a duck. 

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

That's probably more likely with SCV than anywhere else (with the exception of Cadets). 

This is just because we know some of what is happening at SCV.  We don’t know what we don’t know - stuff could be happening at other Corps as well but we don’t know.   Happy happy joy joy. 

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is just because we know some of what is happening at SCV.  We don’t know what we don’t know - stuff could be happening at other Corps as well but we don’t know.   Happy happy joy joy. 

Yep, California is a hellish regulatory state. I get to see every single correspondence between the DOJ and every nonprofit in the state. 

I've not found other states to be like that. Everything I've been harping at has been a result of State DOJ disclosure, nothing SCV has provided. 

I've totally written DCI off....... it was very recent DCI rejected my notification to them Cadets are out of compliance in PA

The CEO of DCI e-mailed me, blew me off, and chose to take the word of a defunct predator enabler organization. I had literally forwarded to DCI the direct communication from the Pennsylvania Department of State, and that was insufficient. 

I had literally forwarded DCI the DOJ notices and explicit details of DCI ethics violations. Crickets........

Corps get to continue on doing what they do because no one will do anything at all the levels of preventative measures that are supposed to be in place. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I suppose we all do. Those marcher applicants at recent SCV auditions were told by staff there that all systems are go and that the Corps will " definitely field " next summer.

SCV press releases also state that DCI Hq has been in frequent discussions with SCV and apparently DCI Hq seems satisfied with the info provided to them sufficient enough to not put them on probation nor has there been any public notice of current concern by DCI Hg.

What/who to believe ?  I don't pretend to know the answer to that. I guess only time will tell.

they were told that last December too, then 2 days later boom.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they were told that last December too, then 2 days later boom.

I believe however last season SCV was not in regular discussions with DCI Hq. . I believe Dan A at DCI  was not aware that SCV was registering SCV applicants for auditions and when SCV announced they would be taking this past season off , he and the others at DCI seemed blindsided by that . 
   The difference here however insofar as both SCV and DCI is concerned , SCV in their press release in the fall specifically mentioned that they have been working alongside DCI to get their financials in order . Absent any new update from DCI in a press release , it has to be assumed that as far as DCI Hq. Is concerned , SCV is currently doing what needs to be done to rectify things sufficient enough to make it out to the field again next summer .  Thats my sense anyway . Now , on the other hand , if SCV replicates last season’s fiasco , then my guess , SCV is likely finished for good , as I can’t imagine DCI putting up with any repeat of that ..

Edited by Boss Anova

13 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

page 1 page 2

Yes . It’s been over a month now too . Auditions being held . Last year , the SCV staff were reportedly blindsided by Mgt pulling the plug . This season the staff seems confident they will field , as when the question reportedly came up at auditions , staff told the auditioneers they were definitely fielding next summer . Also last week , a notice even went out on Facebook that auditions for tryouts will be extended for applicants thru the middle of Jan.  Is DCI complicit in anything ?  I guess only time will tell . But DCI at the moment seems satisfied with SCV ‘s public pronouncements they are making there .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Sad 1

This is all so exhausting. (And as I noted earlier, there might be some unhealthy levels of obsession on display.) But I can't stop coming back to the thread. How unhealthy is that?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Is DCI complicit in anything ?  I guess only time will tell . But DCI at the moment seems satisfied with SCV ‘s public pronouncements they are making there .

What else does DCI have to go on besides what SCV is saying? Only other info is the CA paperwork mess but if SCV says that’s being worked out then DCI is 🤷🏻