Member Safety Training and Mandatory Reporting Question

21 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

To answer these questions.

Safesport walks you through a few scenarios of what would be considered harassment, whether sexual or physical (hazing). There are quizzes at the end of each module. 
They also walked you through what the steps for reporting would be and who you could contact as well as each step of the way what to do if you are uncomfortable. 

I cannot speak to how comprehensive it is. Personally I felt like it was pretty comprehensive and useful, but I am not a professional in this scenario, and others may think it is not enough. 

Safesport/DCI tracked completion. I cannot speak to the consequences of not doing it and getting the certificate. 

I can speak for Boston though. If you showed up to spring training in 22 and did not do safesport you were not allowed to rehearse until the training was complete. 

Sounds like what I had. Ours was about an hour for sexual harassment and another hour for sexual assault training. Both on line so we could take as we had time but had to be done by a certain date.

As for Boston not allowing to rehearse until training completed 👍👍👍

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sounds like what I had. Ours was about an hour for sexual harassment and another hour for sexual assault training. Both on line so we could take as we had time but had to be done by a certain date.

As for Boston not allowing to rehearse until training completed 👍👍👍

I want to say this training took me about half a day to do. Videos + quizzes + lots of slides. 

• Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

I want to say this training took me about half a day to do. Videos + quizzes + lots of slides. 

Thanks and I forgot the local agency had training on how and who to report to. That was online slides, online so they could tell you actually looked at them.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like plenty in this thread could feed a long and fascinating conversation about learning styles and Howard Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences as they all apply to this problem and other pedagogies in drum corps. Great link here that totally applies, IMHO: https://www.niu.edu/citl/resources/guides/instructional-guide/gardners-theory-of-multiple-intelligences.shtml

I was introduced to Gardner's theory at a time when it was already being dissected as being too simplistic... or, in other words, there are way more than 12 intelligences. Thus, what folks are saying here about customized learning methods and platforms are key.

This all feeds the notion that a static, 1.5 hr SS training for mandatory reporting is a good start but simply not enough if we want to minimize violations and increase the safety of young marching members in drum corps.

I teach a 3 week class twice a year (this year it's three times) on adult learning theory and delivery design for adult learners. All of our corporate trainers have to go through it. I want to say there are about 15 of us on the North Amerca staff who are certified to teach it and we all have to be master certified through ASD. It's not hard...just expensive. Then the trainers go through a week of training on effective coaching and feedback. At that point they're certified to train for a program (client) which is it's own certification. 

Adults learn differently. It's a fact that effectiveness and retention are tied to delivery method. It's the single reason why I HATE PowerPoint (the Walmart of Instructional Design.) Well intentioned people all over the world use it as a delivery method for important learning when it's not built for that. Last year I actually had to do an e-learning on how to actually build presentations in PowerPoint that met the accessibility standards for design when someone actually had a seizure which was possibly brought on by flashing animations in a presentation. 

A LOT of thought goes into effective presentation. It took me 20+ years to get to where I feel 110% confident in writing curriculum. Even now I question design choices in my own writing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

A LOT of thought goes into effective presentation. It took me 20+ years to get to where I feel 110% confident in writing curriculum. Even now I question design choices in my own writing.

Pedagogical praxis is a rabbit hole. And I love it. Grateful to be in dialogue with you and everyone else in this thread.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fighterkit said:

To answer these questions.

Safesport walks you through a few scenarios of what would be considered harassment, whether sexual or physical (hazing). There are quizzes at the end of each module. 
They also walked you through what the steps for reporting would be and who you could contact as well as each step of the way what to do if you are uncomfortable. 

I cannot speak to how comprehensive it is. Personally I felt like it was pretty comprehensive and useful, but I am not a professional in this scenario, and others may think it is not enough. 

Safesport/DCI tracked completion. I cannot speak to the consequences of not doing it and getting the certificate. 

I can speak for Boston though. If you showed up to spring training in 22 and did not do safesport you were not allowed to rehearse until the training was complete. 

I just want to take a moment to say that your continued input on this conversation is greatly appreciated. It's great to have someone who can speak to the here and now from an MM perspective and show the openness in the dialog.

That really goes for everyone in this thread but I wanted to call it and say thank you.

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I just want to take a moment to say that your continued input on this conversation is greatly appreciated. It's great to have someone who can speak to the here and now from an MM perspective and show the openness in the dialog.

That really goes for everyone in this thread but I wanted to call it and say thank you.

Of course.

I think it is an important conversation to have. 

As an aside and to speak more towards this and with Safesport. The membership took the training exceptionally seriously, as well as the enforcement. 

I remember one day in spring training, probably day two or three, we missed a rep and a kid went on. Our VCH (someone I respect a lot and treats us well) decides to use this time to enlighten us about his philosophy of teaching and educating. Despite his background, he explains to us how very anti punishment he is about mistakes. We don't run or do pushups or anything for mistakes. Instead its a personal accountability.  

At the very end he cracks a quick joke and says "I couldnt make you run anyways because thats against safe sport."

A first year member walks up to him post rehearsal and expresses that he does not feel that Safesport should have been used in a joking manner, no matter how obvious the joke is.
Very next rehearsal the VCH apologizes for the quip in front of all of the corps.

I know that a few orgs did make these kind of jokes, but I know that at least where I marched we did not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I teach a 3 week class twice a year (this year it's three times) on adult learning theory and delivery design for adult learners. All of our corporate trainers have to go through it. I want to say there are about 15 of us on the North Amerca staff who are certified to teach it and we all have to be master certified through ASD. It's not hard...just expensive. Then the trainers go through a week of training on effective coaching and feedback. At that point they're certified to train for a program (client) which is it's own certification. 

Adults learn differently. It's a fact that effectiveness and retention are tied to delivery method. It's the single reason why I HATE PowerPoint (the Walmart of Instructional Design.) Well intentioned people all over the world use it as a delivery method for important learning when it's not built for that. Last year I actually had to do an e-learning on how to actually build presentations in PowerPoint that met the accessibility standards for design when someone actually had a seizure which was possibly brought on by flashing animations in a presentation. 

So pleased to see Gardner's work tailored for adult learning...Multiple Intelligences was used in an  experiment done in N.Y.C. in the early 1990's produced by the "Soup to Nuts" company for the NYC board of education...MI was successfully implemented in an elementary school where reading and math scores rose significantly after the students were introduced to this new way of learning. Funding and teacher resistance prevented wide spread use of MI at the time but it's viability was unquestioned..I did the narration on a series of VHS tapes that documented the experiment, eventually shown on PBS..I personally adopted MI to help my children use the  " more than one way of being smart" approach...Thankfully, it worked..peace

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

Let's not date ourselves. There are so many other more recent examples. But yes, Tailhook. Go Navy. 

In regard to the military (Dept of Def) the process is designed to protect the system, and then when working correctly the system can take swift action (if everyone has current training, to include the offender, then action is largely indisputable and a matter of process and corrective action). 

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that the full force of the military tackling this problem continuously since Tailhook didn't fix it permanently?

So weird.