New Zealand Girl and Drum Corps Alumni React to the MANDARINS 2023!!!

I think old corps people should do their own podcast. Maybe call it "Get off my field! - An old person's guide to Drum Corps."

I just know I just watched Bloo 2022 again and sweet baby James that show is sickengly good. I know my reactions would have definitely been R rated. I don't get how anyone can NOT appreciate modern drum corps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Heck, for two Benjamin’s, I will do a reaction video of Michael Cesario taking a bath in chocolate 

that will not swash my buckle

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think old corps people should do their own podcast. Maybe call it "Get off my field! - An old person's guide to Drum Corps."

I just know I just watched Bloo 2022 again and sweet baby James that show is sickengly good. I know my reactions would have definitely been R rated. I don't get how anyone can NOT appreciate modern drum corps.

the thing is...and not just corps...when people get attached to an activity and actively participate, THEIR time is what made it for them. look for interviews with retired athletes complaining about the current product in their sport. it's there, just like it is here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the thing is...and not just corps...when people get attached to an activity and actively participate, THEIR time is what made it for them. look for interviews with retired athletes complaining about the current product in their sport. it's there, just like it is here.

I think that makes perfect sense. I never really thought of it like that. I look back fondly on my memories as well. I guess I also am 1. A big fan of evolution in the activity and 2. Smart enough to realize that I know I could not have done what they do now. Our definition of body movement in the battery was when you vigorously shook your shako. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Oddly enough, many of the icons of our activity , ( many still around and active ) , do not have that mentality and it's one main reason they weathered through decades and some very much relevant still.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Oddly enough, many of the icons of our activity , ( many still around and active ) , do not have that mentality and it's one main reason they weathered through decades and some very much relevant still.

I feel like it's a very specific fan base. I don't know if there's anything specific data wise that would show trending but it's definitely interesting. The people who want to stay relevant manage to find a way to do just that. Even guys like Scott Johnson have adapted their arranging to fit into the times and that's been over what, nearly 4 decades probably?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I feel like it's a very specific fan base. I don't know if there's anything specific data wise that would show trending but it's definitely interesting. The people who want to stay relevant manage to find a way to do just that. Even guys like Scott Johnson have adapted their arranging to fit into the times and that's been over what, nearly 4 decades probably?

It is how to have longevity in this activity. It's a bit funny how some will mention the icons no longer with us and their style of the past but seem to never think or believe that in 2023 that those same people wouldn't have been a driving force or adapted to trends or evolution of the activity. IMO not only they would have , they would have pushed hard to explore, challenge and certainly push the envelope, just as they did in the 70s 80s 90s  and so on.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 12:00 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think that makes perfect sense. I never really thought of it like that. I look back fondly on my memories as well. I guess I also am 1. A big fan of evolution in the activity and 2. Smart enough to realize that I know I could not have done what they do now. Our definition of body movement in the battery was when you vigorously shook your shako. 

i had a bout with this when amps first came in. i'd seen SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many examples of what was to come in band land. it took a few years and i grew to tolerate it, but even today i feel corps that have super noticable issues get off easy. but adding the electronics in, was IMO what should have happened from the start

23 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Mmmmyyyy  ppppprreeeciiiooooouuuusssss........

tonight's the night....