RIP Robert W. Smith

Bob984

24 minutes ago, musicteacher said:

I believe Michael Klesch wrote the Les Miz show, at least the bulk of it.

Michael is listed as on the brass staff for that year in the DCI program, but RWS is listed as the arranger for that show for Cadets.  I guess we need to confirm with Michael somehow…I had always heard it was RWS who arranged it.

49 minutes ago, musicteacher said:

I believe Michael Klesch wrote the Les Miz show, at least the bulk of it.

From The Cadets FB page 09/22/23:

We are deeply saddened to learn that Robert W. Smith, renowned composer and music educator, passed away yesterday. Robert made incredible contributions to the drum corps community, and The Cadets family will always cherish his arrangements in our 1989 production of Les Misérables, as well as his inspired instruction in the winter of the same year. Sending heartfelt condolences to Robert's family during this difficult time.
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

From The Cadets FB page 09/22/23:

We are deeply saddened to learn that Robert W. Smith, renowned composer and music educator, passed away yesterday. Robert made incredible contributions to the drum corps community, and The Cadets family will always cherish his arrangements in our 1989 production of Les Misérables, as well as his inspired instruction in the winter of the same year. Sending heartfelt condolences to Robert's family during this difficult time.

Arranged two finalists groups that year. I suspect that was pretty unusual back then - still not so common even today.

Some of the info from Savannah Smith's Facebook page.  See link to obituary.  Celebration of Life will be live streamed on Friday, September 29, 2023 at 2pm from the Claudia Crosby Theater, Troy University.    

----------

The livestream link will be on Troy University’s website, and will be shared on family socials and on the RWS Music Company page.

For flowers I have heard that most are using Jean’s Flowers here in Troy. https://www.jeansflowerstroy.com

Expressions of Sympathy may be made to the Troy University Music Industry Program at bit.ly/RWSmemorial.

Full obituary here: https://www.dillardfh.com/obituaries/Robert-William-Smith...

Please continue to keep our family, and especially my mother, in your thoughts and prayers. ❤️ Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your lovely posts and comments of your memories of Dad. We all miss him very much.

On 9/25/2023 at 3:51 PM, Jeff Ream said:

not what has been said publicly

There was a guy that marched 89 at Cadets when I marched Cru back around ‘00-‘01.  Said it was definitely a RWS book and Klesch did a lot of the fixing/cleaning…however you want to interpret that.

On 9/26/2023 at 12:02 PM, kdaddy said:

Arranged two finalists groups that year. I suspect that was pretty unusual back then - still not so common even today.

I recall a pre-DCI year where just about every Corps at VFW finals played at least one Truman Crawford arrangement.  

I heard a Glassmen 2005 story, can anyone involved confirm it's true?

Robert had the entire show completely written at one of the first camps (New World Symphony).

He had the brass all sit-down concert style and play through the entire book.  I just thought that was an interesting way to approach/learn the show.  

He'll be missed!