Do DCI corps actively recruit HBCU's

I remember the local shows and not so far shows.  They were great for DCE, DCM and I do not know about DCW. Fairly steady income for the corps for those shows in the early part of the season.

I also remember the DCE and DCM corps participating in Football Bowl Parades, halftime shows, and even the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Great memories!

4 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Do DCI or any of the corps have a presence at Honda Battle of the Bands? Norfolk State University is my fave

don't know but with the new CEO's contacts that may happen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One issue with getting students in HBCU programs to do DCI is that their band camps often overlap with the last week or so of DCI and it is NON. NEGOTIABLE to miss band camp.

I'm all for recruiting, but let's be real, I bet many of the HBCU folks have no interesting in doing something the style of DCI, just like lots of the DCI folks hate doing "drum line battles". I feel like we often assume that everyone WANTS to do DCI, and if we just reached out (or lowered the costs etc) they would, when the reality is that plenty of people KNOW what DCI is, and just don't want to do it.

10 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

One issue with getting students in HBCU programs to do DCI is that their band camps often overlap with the last week or so of DCI and it is NON. NEGOTIABLE to miss band camp.

I'm all for recruiting, but let's be real, I bet many of the HBCU folks have no interesting in doing something the style of DCI, just like lots of the DCI folks hate doing "drum line battles". I feel like we often assume that everyone WANTS to do DCI, and if we just reached out (or lowered the costs etc) they would, when the reality is that plenty of people KNOW what DCI is, and just don't want to do it.

There’s a little more overlap than you may think. Particularly when it comes to drums. HBCU band students are well aware of the drum corps world and a good many of them do actually support the activity, even if they don’t all necessarily march. (Though, a few do.) At the Atlanta show, you’ll almost always find more than a few HBCU band kids in the lots and in the stands. I know a few of them also go to Crown’s home shows and I’m sure there are other examples of this as well. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

You mean mm's might not want to march in Drum Corps'Major League?..Sacrebleu!..lol...peace

Also, many of the instructors that teach at HBCU band programs do have drum corps experience. Back when I was in college, the percussion instructor at our neighboring school (because we didn’t have a marching band) marched with Cadets. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lowend said:

I'm wondering if an HBCU marching member would even have time for the fall/winter camps.  Seems like there is always a classic, a parade, or battle of the bands going on.  Those bands stay busy!

If a band is selected to perform in the Honda Battle of the Bands, the marching band season extends into February. Other than that though, full marching band appearances past football season are kinda rare apart from the occasional parade. And those are usually negotiable as long as you communicate with your BD. The majority of the show band showcases are from September to November. Though notably, if a student’s band is performing in the National Battle of the Bands in Houston, that show is typically held in late August so that would be a potential conflict for a student marching drum corps. Since there are usually only about 8 bands that are selected, this would not affect most of the HBCU bands. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

There’s a little more overlap than you may think. Particularly when it comes to drums. HBCU band students are well aware of the drum corps world and a good many of them do actually support the activity, even if they don’t all necessarily march. (Though, a few do.) At the Atlanta show, you’ll almost always find more than a few HBCU band kids in the lots and in the stands. I know a few of them also go to Crown’s home shows and I’m sure there are other examples of this as well. 

Absolutely, but them going as spectators and marching is different, which is the purpose of this thread...