Another Abused Member Experience on Reddit

Was going to say unbelievable but it is believable…. Question I have for management is 1) haven’t you “gotten” the idea to stop dangerous things happening to the members 2) don’t you care 3) as long as the corps is successful the rest doesn’t matter. 🤮

The seat mate mentioned also needs help that should have been addressed during the season.

Years back a co-workers daughter had to drop out due to asthma issues. I mentioned it on DCP at the time and a member of that corps said “well she wasn’t <corps name> material anyway” as if physical issues make you “not worthy”. That’s pales next to this ####.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was going to say unbelievable but it is believable…. Question I have for management is 1) haven’t you “gotten” the idea to stop dangerous things happening to the members 2) don’t you care 3) as long as the corps is successful the rest doesn’t matter. 🤮

The seat mate mentioned also needs help that should have been addressed during the season.

Years back a co-workers daughter had to drop out due to asthma issues. I mentioned it on DCP at the time and a member of that corps said “well she wasn’t <corps name> material anyway” as if physical issues make you “not worthy”. That’s pales next to this ####.

Pioneer got suspended for (imho) less than what is alleged to have gone on in Cascades.   Although part of that was Pioneer management refusal to make changes. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

Thinking of ye olde “one lawsuit away from going under” topics DCP had years back. If it can be proven that corps management/staff knew and ignored any of this…. And question of what was DCI told…

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking of ye olde “one lawsuit away from going under” topics DCP had years back. If it can be proven that corps management/staff knew and ignored any of this…. And question of what was DCI told…

Well, DCI has a new Executive Director.  Let’s see what he does.  

• Like 1

It’s really hard to even make this post because I’m afraid that people who recognize these events will think I’m whining.

TW: suicide

u/Plastic-Painting-193, if you or someone you know reads this, I'm really sorry this happened to you. This all could've and should've been handled differently. I'd be posting on reddit myself now, directly to you, but I've been stalked and doxxed on that platform recently by my fellow alum... in the very way you've mentioned above, so I understand. And my "poor member experience" happened two decades ago. Portions of this community are still very sick. I would also feel unsafe being around alumni and the organization of my corps.

That said, I cannot recommend enough that u/Plastic-Painting-193 ensure they have proper mental health and loved-ones support right now. Only when that is in place, and with the support of those parties, should they consider reporting their experience to the following. Without that support I mentioned, the following contacts could make things worse.

• MAASIN Whistleblower support
  • DCI Whistleblowing process
  • Seattle Cascades Whistleblower process
  • Courage First Athletes Helpline

MAASIN is first because, as an independent entity, they have less control over, or agenda regarding the outcome. Their advising will be more nuanced and reporter-centric and includes a mental health professional. The next two may lead nowhere, but at least both organizations will minimally have required documentation on record of what happened. The Courage First Athletes Helpline is purely for the reporter here, but is entirely independent of drum corps and can provide a much-needed outside perspective.

Question for the community: Do the death threats mean that SC or DCI now become mandated reporters? It's not OP's responsibility to be one if they do not have the mental health/emotional capacity, although something here is pinging me. Someone here should notify authorities right?

u/Plastic-Painting-193's disclosure confirms the worst fears I have had about the drum corps community since I came back. I see hints of this type of experience everywhere, but those get glossed over by assurances by fans, staff, and members that no no no, things are better, we swear. I never believed those assurances anyway. The culture is too entrenched.

One demolished member experience is still a failed mission statement on the part of the corps and DCI. No amount of members with excellent experiences erases that.

I hope u/Plastic-Painting-193 recovers faster than I did, but for some reason I have to keep iterating with this community that experiences like this at such a young age can be foundational, meaning that they happen while people are so young that it can crush us, and take a long time to recover from. It's entirely unacceptable.

u/Plastic-Painting-193, if you or a loved one reads this, you aren't alone. You're part of drum corps' broken legacy now. To answer your question in your original post, it can take a long time to heal. I tried to ignore my wounds for decades and that didn't work. I've had to face them head on, in community, along with all those who would diminish and humiliate me for trying to do so. But lean on your loved ones first and keep talking with them about this, latch onto your support circles and don't let go. Drum corps isn't going anywhere, and if you want to find your way back, you will, but don't push yourself to love your abuser after what they did.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Cascades marcher posts that he has received death threats … multiple death threats too . These allegations are not to be taken lightly . Did the poster alert police and parents and DCI of death threats is the natural and immediate concern here for his future safety ..  Death threats the Cascades marcher claims even took place after he returned home .  Clearly none of us here can protect this former marcher from future death threats or God forbid , the actual carrying out of the death threat . So this really becomes the realm of police and FBI ( if the alleged  death threats are coming from out of state ) and prosecutors to protect this person.  Criminal charges and arrests need to be made on those making any death threats via phone or mail and the like .

DCI secondarily needs to thoroughly vett any Corps whose marchers or staffers are making alleged multiple death threats to one of DCI’s recent summer’s participant marchers . On the other hand , I’m not entirely certain the alleged death threats made on this marcher were reported to his parents and the police as the poster makes no mention of this critically important salient point in their detailing of events  . It’s also unclear why the marcher posts he would still volunteer there again despite alleged multiple examples of abuse and apparently on going death threats on him apparently continuing  there . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking of ye olde “one lawsuit away from going under” topics DCP had years back.

On that note...

TLDR version- both Spirit and DCI are being sued over the events that led to Spirit's suspension a couple years back.

It just me or are the comments quietly locked on that reddit post? 

• Thanks 1