Another Abused Member Experience on Reddit

Thanks- saw this thread first but I'll focus on that one.

1 hour ago, AlexL said:

It just me or are the comments quietly locked on that reddit post? 

As a mod of that subreddit. Neither posts should have comments locked. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

As a mod of that subreddit. Neither posts should have comments locked. 

When I got on this morning thought I saw it was locked for comments. Someone (mod?) posted locked until verified or something like that. 

edit: looked and see recent posts, including OP saying he/she wasn’t sure if what happened was reportable or how to report.

Let that last sentence sink in for a moment as this is a 2023 incident 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

When I got on this morning thought I saw it was locked for comments. Someone (mod?) posted locked until verified or something like that. Not a Reddit user so no idea if still locked but see some comments deleted.

I had to double check the history of that thread because it was open when I checked, but you are correct. 
Someone reported it to reddit for self harm comments and they auto lock posts like that for a little bit. 
Should be accessible to everyone now. 
Only deleted comments were from those who posted them, not us.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, fighterkit said:

I had to double check the history of that thread because it was open when I checked, but you are correct. 
Someone reported it to reddit for self harm comments and they auto lock posts like that for a little bit. 
Should be accessible to everyone now. 
Only deleted comments were from those who posted them, not us.

Thanks for the information: glad Reddit has a way to deal with comments like that. 

• Like 1

OP recalls undergoing SafeSport training but is asking around fellow members for clarity.

Shouldn't reporting channels for situations like this be covered and clear as a bell for all members? If that's what's happening, then there shouldn't be a question whether this type of behavior should be reported, how to do it, and how to remain safe while doing it. OP doesn't seem to know what steps to take and it's not their fault. It's infuriating that this wasn't made clear for them. Where is the break in info here and who is to blame? (Hint: it's not the members.)

More indicators here that SafeSport isn't nearly robust enough. OP reports caption heads being informed of the behavior and nothing being done.

I'm gravely concerned that if SC staff aren't technically, legally mandated reporters in a case reports of threats of self-harm-as-emotional-abuse from members to members, they should be acting as mandated reporters through proper channels nonetheless. Otherwise they risk member safety on several fronts.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Shouldn't reporting channels for situations like this be covered and clear as a bell for all members? If that's what's happening, then there shouldn't be a question whether this type of behavior should be reported, how to do it, and how to remain safe while doing it. OP doesn't seem to know what steps to take and it's not their fault. It's infuriating that this wasn't made clear for them. Where is the break in info here and who is to blame? (Hint: it's not the members.

Not pointing the finger at the victim but he/she posted they were physically with the corps but not marching. So he/she wasn’t sure about being able to report. Big failure in training there.

Then there is the seatmate who reportedly talked about doing themselves in. Supposedly corps was informed and 🤷🏻. That’s the scariest #### I’ve read about a corps yet

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not pointing the finger at the victim but he/she posted they were physically with the corps but not marching. So he/she wasn’t sure about being able to report. Big failure in training there.

I saw that too. A paying member, marching or not, unsure if they have the right to report? Words aren't strong enough for how furious I am that they were left feeling that way. Unacceptable. We have to stop assuming that SafeSport is working as a community. Some of us have been trying to say that now for a while.

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And did anyone report that another member talked about doing themselves in. And if reported what was done? That’s the scariest #### I’ve read about a corps yet

I...am sad to say it ranks up there with some of the worst that've been disclosed to me. Really want to re-re-re-reiterate that OP should be in the care of loved ones as well as culturally-responsive, trauma-responsive mental health support ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

I saw that too. A paying member, marching or not, unsure if they have the right to report? Words aren't strong enough for how furious I am that they were left feeling that way. Unacceptable. We have to stop assuming that SafeSport is working as a community. Some of us have been trying to say that now for a while.

I...am sad to say it ranks up there with some of the worst that've been disclosed to me. Really want to re-re-re-reiterate that OP should be in the care of loved ones as well as culturally-responsive, trauma-responsive mental health support ASAP.

Didn’t think about the paying part. I was just thinking that if a person is physically with the corps then the corps is responsible for their safety. 

As for the second part of my post I had to change it after rereading the reddit post. But what you responded with I agree 100%