Cadets Suspend for 2024

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Again I say not every situation is the same. SCV was an organizational bleep show who lost compliance with the state and did not get their second bingo running. Ya maybe they made a mistake by bringing 2 corps out in 2022, but if they do come back as planned in 2024, their not touring in 2023 WAS the smart scale back. We still do not know the details of what happened with the Cadets, only speculation and rumors. Maybe there was a huge mistake made that cost them a lot of money, we do not know. 

As far as the corps trying to win at all costs. Music City had one of the largest staffs by number and tons of props. They had they same electronic rig as everyone else. They had brand new uniforms (again why people bring that up as a cost factor is beyond me because they are part of corps fees) and I think one of the longer tours. (I could be wrong on that). Are they trying to win at all costs? Or do those costs not add up to as much as people make them out to be?

Yeah and Music City is overspending! Pure and simple. What happens if you overspend - your savings gets depleted and you go into debt. What happens if your debt gets so big that you can't keep up with your payments? You go backrupt.

We're not going to see eye-to-eye here fart face (haha - you know I'll always love you because you have fart in your name). I never said props and electronics were a huge part of the problem. I said they were a part of the problem, and every single line item on an expense report is part of the problem. 

3 hours ago, craiga said:

This is a real shame.  They were excellent on the field last summer.

Agree. Their improvement from their 1st week of season to Finals Week was a testimony to both the instructional staff there at the Cadets and the marchers. The depth and the diversification of their revenue stream was apparently just not there.  it sounds sounds so familiar.  Its a day later, and I'm still no less saddened by this news of another Drum Corps having to be sidelined.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Almost invariably, when "revenue" is brought up today, it is not revenue generated by drum corps programs.  Instead, it is "revenue" from external sources.  Oh, if we could just have more of other people's money, problem solved!

There are a few examples of where a drum corps can generate revenue from related resources (like how Star of Indiana ran a bus company to put their assets to greater use; several other corps have done this too).  CrownTickets.  BD Entertainment.  USBands.  Not seeing opportunity for explosive growth in those established ventures.  What innovations are you suggesting?

Arent all non profits based on other peoples money? Thats why they become 501c3 organizations in the first place. I dont have all of the answers, if I did I would be the new DCI CEO, but I do know that focusing on the most polarizing part of the activity as the center of the problem is not the anser. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

Yeah and Music City is overspending! Pure and simple. What happens if you overspend - your savings gets depleted and you go into debt. What happens if your debt gets so big that you can't keep up with your payments? You go backrupt.

We're not going to see eye-to-eye here fart face (haha - you know I'll always love you because you have fart in your name). I never said props and electronics were a huge part of the problem. I said they were a part of the problem, and every single line item on an expense report is part of the problem. 

Are they overspending? I am pretty sure they operate in the black. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

They might not have the agency to think ahead.  You know, about how that extra truck is going to impact costs the next time fuel costs double. 

Marched when gas prices more than doubled to over a dollar in the 1970s. Corps needed higher prize money from shows to help cover. Lot of local shows went under because they no longer could make a profit. Lot of local corps went under due to higher costs and less shows nearby. 

But still read people saying “local corps went under due to bad management” and ignoring the sudden increase in costs.

59 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Focusing on props is like the inverse of the dril candles tweet

Housing: $300k

Travel: $400k

Food: $300k

Props: $20k

Someone who is good at the economy help, my drum corps is dying

"Buy less props"

As I said on the DCI CEO thread, and will repeat here... you could cut travel expense by touring less, and you could cut housing expense by recruiting locally.  These ideas have already been dismissed.  Less people will march under those circumstances, and then we WILL have a revenue problem.

We need food.

So what is left? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

am I wrong? My money is on no because electronics and props is always the first thing attacked by the dinos when financial issues are the focus. 

Actually, the first thing "attacked" in these discussions is usually "dinos".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

As I said on the DCI CEO thread, and will repeat here... you could cut travel expense by touring less, and you could cut housing expense by recruiting locally.  These ideas have already been dismissed.  Less people will march under those circumstances, and then we WILL have a revenue problem.

We need food.

So what is left? 

Housing expenses have nothing to do with recruiting locally. They need housing on the road. And the tour was already shortened by 2 weeks this past summer. 

So what is left? The member experience. 

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

If you want to have a serious conversation, telling people to "shut up" is a funny way to start it off.

I understand the issue fully.  Drum corps is wicked expensive.  Some of that expense is unavoidable.  The rest of the expenses all have their constituents who shriek the instant you suggest cutting their favorite luxury.  Deny, deflect, or just disrupt any further discussion.

Evolve?  I have been hearing the phrase "evolve or die" in defense of every costly change to drum corps.  Sorry, but when "evolve or die" becomes "evolve and die", it is not evolution.

That was beautiful. 

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Actually, the first thing "attacked" in these discussions is usually "dinos".

because the "dinos" who whine about props and electronics are wrong that they are the issue, yet they persist in thinking that if they were gone, that drum corps would magically be fixed.