Cadets Suspend for 2024

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Which was also tongue in cheek to some degree.   But frankly I'm a big fan of what Surf does from keeping it at a scale that's doable during the summer with some great instructional efforts based on what I saw in the lot at Annapolis to things like their mobile music lab going out into the neighborhoods to bring music education into areas in new ways where the schools have long axed such things.   People dog them for being small and non-competitive and snark out with "demote them to Open Class" and such.  But... they're still here and they're still doing their thing and doing it well.

Yup, I knew it was.  Surf was so much fun this year & I love their community outreach in music education! 

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well if you meant it as a compliment then i was mistaken 

I use the term "dino" for any person that uses a tragedy like this as an excuse to blame what they don't like about the modern activity regardless of age.

I have not specifically referred to anyone as a dino.

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

Starbucks is a publicly traded company beholden to its shareholders. They have a fiduciary responsibility to cut the 2.6% to get maximum return. But they are already operating at a profit. 

If you think that there is nothing corps can do to increase revenue, then we have already lost the war and should just wait for the activity to die. 

Corps did increase revenues. From 50 000$ to 150 000$, then to 500 000$ and now close to 2 000 000$ Yearly. 

they are at a point where they don’t know or don’t have the time to find another million. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

Again I say not every situation is the same. SCV was an organizational bleep show who lost compliance with the state and did not get their second bingo running. Ya maybe they made a mistake by bringing 2 corps out in 2022, but if they do come back as planned in 2024, their not touring in 2023 WAS the smart scale back. We still do not know the details of what happened with the Cadets, only speculation and rumors. Maybe there was a huge mistake made that cost them a lot of money, we do not know. 

As far as the corps trying to win at all costs. Music City had one of the largest staffs by number and tons of props. They had they same electronic rig as everyone else. They had brand new uniforms (again why people bring that up as a cost factor is beyond me because they are part of corps fees) and I think one of the longer tours. (I could be wrong on that). Are they trying to win at all costs? Or do those costs not add up to as much as people make them out to be?

Uniform are not part of the tuition. 

Tuition is as high as it can be. If a corps does not buy new uniforms, the amount previously labeled as « uniform » will be labeled differently but the tuition will not go down. 

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

They also need housing for 3-4 weeks of spring training... because many of the corps members are not local.

They also do that in a controlled environment, they aren't going to do spring training all scattered around. BD does their spring training in Wyoming. BAC in New Hampshire. Local recruiting has nothing to do with housing costs

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Uniform are not part of the tuition. 

Tuition is as high as it can be. If a corps does not buy new uniforms, the amount previously labeled as « uniform » will be labeled differently but the tuition will not go down. 

Uniforms are also only about $150-$300 a member retail. Not to mention sponsorships which can bring that cost down to $0

Those who think uniforms are an issue only say that because they don't like modern uniforms 

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Almost invariably, when "revenue" is brought up today, it is not revenue generated by drum corps programs.  Instead, it is "revenue" from external sources.  Oh, if we could just have more of other people's money, problem solved!

There are a few examples of where a drum corps can generate revenue from related resources (like how Star of Indiana ran a bus company to put their assets to greater use; several other corps have done this too).  CrownTickets.  BD Entertainment.  USBands.  Not seeing opportunity for explosive growth in those established ventures.  What innovations are you suggesting?

And to me, our business (drum corps) loses money every time we have a new customer (members). 

ie. Tuition is 5 000$ / cost per member is 10 000$. 

as we have to find external revenues to cover the difference, there a limit to how much we can find in a year. 

165 members is far more difficult to finance than it was at 128 members. Notwithstanding the supposedly fill the bus, scale discount, ect. 

• Thanks 1