Cadets Suspend for 2024

4 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Maybe I should ask them their opinion on them before I go off on them, 

Ok I was mistaken on being done as this caught my eye.

Are you saying you “go off” on peoples opinion before you know what that opinion is?

In my opinion, in order for drum corps to survive it will need to be a Regional plus Championship Model. When I say regional I'm not talking about building up corps in those areas in order to compete against each other. I mean maintain a regional championship in the Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Southwest and West. The corps travel to those regions to compete for that regional championship. After regionals the corps journey to championships for quarters, semi and finals. That is it! With regionals and finals you are looking at a total of 8-10 show for the entire season. Depending on interest maybe throw in another show per region prior to the regional championship.

This should reduce travel, food and housing expenses drastically. This would require corps to reduce the level of difficulty in shows due to a short season. Instead of hopping around from housing to housing, the corps will basically stay in one place and tour on the weekend. After that regional show, return to base to prepare for the next regional and so forth until championship week. Basically like open class weekend corps. The all summer long thing is over. Does not work anymore. A dead horse that keeps getting beat. I'm just throwing something out there.

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This is the average BOD, fairly lazy, looking to boost (or whitewash) their for profit resumes with the appearance of volunteerism... then giving what on paper ends up being something like 1 hr a month. Ick. Yeah, nothing comes of that and it's not what the np model was designed for.

I think Boston is a good example of the opposite here. Alum tell me that endless hours of volunteerism were put in to revitalize that org and corps. Look at their board now. It's HUGE! And yes, it takes a monster or two to manage such a large team, but if it's done well, it can be very powerful.

Agreed. 

putting in place what is needed, install a philosophy and making sure everyone get on the boat can take years when you are already doing so much to make everything happen. But it is possible. 

Ps. Did ask to assist for a few Boston board meeting to learn from. Waiting for an answer and dates. 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok I was mistaken on being done as this caught my eye.

Are you saying you “go off” on peoples opinion before you know what that opinion is?

I wouldn't say that. I have a pretty good idea through context. 

7 minutes ago, corpsman98 said:

In my opinion, in order for drum corps to survive it will need to be a Regional plus Championship Model. When I say regional I'm not talking about building up corps in those areas in order to compete against each other. I mean maintain a regional championship in the Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Southwest and West. The corps travel to those regions to compete for that regional championship. After regionals the corps journey to championships for quarters, semi and finals. That is it! With regionals and finals you are looking at a total of 8-10 show for the entire season. Depending on interest maybe throw in another show per region prior to the regional championship.

This should reduce travel, food and housing expenses drastically. This would require corps to reduce the level of difficulty in shows due to a short season. Instead of hopping around from housing to housing, the corps will basically stay in one place and tour on the weekend. After that regional show, return to base to prepare for the next regional and so forth until championship week. Basically like open class weekend corps. The all summer long thing is over. Does not work anymore. A dead horse that keeps getting beat. I'm just throwing something out there.

And again like a broken record and say that we do not have the number of corps needed to sustain a regional model. You would isolate corps like SOA and Troopers and make things worse overall competitively. We are stuck with the national model. 

12 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I say that because props and uniforms are ALWAYS the first thing mentioned. When it is pointed out that they are the smallest part of the budget it doesn't matter, they should still be cut. 

Calling BS.  I am going through this thread from the start.  Here are all the first mentions of causes, in order:

20 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

The fact that they haven’t moved to in a direction to proactively cut costs, coupled with inflation and increases in food, fuel and housing, will make it very difficult for corps to survive another five years. 

19 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

I'm not going to get in a titfortat but the price of fuel, food, insurance, housing has made the traditional tour unsustainable. 

19 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Definitely not wrong, but also so much focus on the big corps and not enough on the little ones. 

19 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Drum corps have always gotten their money in weird ways and that's proving to be unsustainable.

3 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Is there or is there not a loud vocal minority who hates modern drum corps? And is it or is it not true that that parts of modern drum corps they hate become the focal point of the discussion any time a corps folds?

I'm just calling that correlation out. That's all.

Saying something once is calling it out.  

Saying it 50 times renders the phrase “loud vocal minority” astoundingly hypocritical. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Not surprised. They buried it well

Yeah, but they had little choice. Imagine a press release that BEGAN with the news of the ED leaving the org, and then 8 paragraphs later revealing the news that the corps would not be active in 2024. Now THAT would be burying the lede

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Maybe I should ask them their opinion on them before I go off on them, but the people in question have not pushed back on my assumption. 

We most certainly have.

In particular, I have suggested numerous other cost-cutting ideas, and not for the first time.  And I have explained why those other ideas do not resonate, since other expenses are more essential and their costs less or un-controllable.

You seem totally dismissive to all this, as to acknowledge what we are actually saying would ruin your narrative.

17 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

What should we be more surprised about?

- Cadets calling off 2024

- press release saying "its not a spending problem, its a revenue problem"

- only two hours into this thread, people are defending/deflecting about non-essential expenses such as props and electronics

This you? 

You posted this before I even got into the thread and all I did was predict posts about blaming props and costumes. I was also really commenting on what I have been seeing on Facebook and Reddit.