Cadets Suspend for 2024

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

In 70-71 era Blue Rock had their own lousy busses. One of them had no reverse, so they had to be careful where they parked. Another one could not start unless a bunch of members got behind it and pushed it.

We (Garfield) had to get out of one of our busses on the way to Miami, as the full bus could not drive up a steep hill. We walked in front of the bus, just in case!  😀

SOA use to have a fleet of old GMC (I think) buses.  On one of them, the rear wheels tracked about a foot to the right of the front wheels so it looked like a running puppy.  A couple of them had bad air bags on one side so they 'listed' like a sailboat. 😂  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

You are asking me to solve the finances of DCI and give solutions to things that DCI cannot legislate. 

No.  Actually, I was not asking anything from you until you started categorically rejecting every single idea of mine.  Then, I asked you for better suggestions.

My entire argument is not about how to solve the issue,

That explains a lot.

but its about why half measures are not the answer and when a corps folds its usually not the small stuff that causes it. 

It is the sum total that causes it.  The "small stuff" is part of that.  Pile on enough "small stuff", and it can be a big part of the whole.

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And since we apparently need a reminder, "the product" is a competitive league of 39 corps.  Or that is what it was last week... now, it is a competitive league of 37 corps.  Soon to be 36, if rumor proves out.

I contend that "the product" has already been bastardized.  It used to be "marching music's major league", a sampling from among hundreds of corps in local/regional/national circuits.  Now, there are too few corps (by your admission) to even modify any portion of the season to be more region-centric.  That was the real "thousand cuts".

All I am asking about is cost control.  Can we have a dozen little cuts?  Or maybe start with one?

I honestly believe that those asking for cuts believe that corps do not have agency to know what is going to put them under. 

35 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Do you think every WC drum corps is frozen in indecision? There are organizations that struggle in this system and others that thrive. 

And only the ones that thrive can vote... and only while they are thriving.

The system is challenging, but it is not broken. 

The DCI system was broken from inception.

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No.  Actually, I was not asking anything from you until you started categorically rejecting every single idea of mine.  Then, I asked you for better suggestions.

That explains a lot.

It is the sum total that causes it.  The "small stuff" is part of that.  Pile on enough "small stuff", and it can be a big part of the whole.

I will ask this question again. Are Cadets not touring this year because of the 5% of the budget they could have saved, or because of bigger reasons? 

Just now, cixelsyd said:

The DCI system was broken from inception.

That tells me everything I need to know about your intentions

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

And only the ones that thrive can vote... and only while they are thriving.

Can Spartans Vote? They seem to be doing pretty well along with a few other open class corps.

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

I will ask this question again. Are Cadets not touring this year because of the 5% of the budget they could have saved, or because of bigger reasons? 

Well, there is a rumor going around that this may be a 'coup' attempt by GH to regain control of The Cadets. It's on social media so you know it's got to be true. 🧐🫢😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mod hat here:

Posters need to stop making personal attacks and badgering other posters. We do not want to close down this thread but it is moving in that direction right now. I think everyone here has been around long enough to know the guidelines.

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And since we apparently need a reminder, "the product" is a competitive league of 39 corps.  Or that is what it was last week... now, it is a competitive league of 37 corps.  Soon to be 36, if rumor proves out.

I contend that "the product" has already been bastardized.  It used to be "marching music's major league", a sampling from among hundreds of corps in local/regional/national circuits.  Now, there are too few corps (by your admission) to even modify any portion of the season to be more region-centric.  That was the real "thousand cuts".

All I am asking about is cost control.  Can we have a dozen little cuts?  Or maybe start with one?

Rumor?