A Cost-Cutting Proposal

On 10/14/2023 at 9:51 AM, drumcorpsfever said:

I’m not sure there’s enough scale remaining for a regional model. Perhaps it’s time to scrap the whole DCI model altogether. 

I wonder if there’s a way to tap into local school districts by creating DCI district bands - district drum corps. These corps would compete during the summer, march in parades, appear in community events and festivals. If successful, the activity may be able to grow and prosper. 

Or, maybe, encourage HS bands to march DCI competitions, with the following limitations:

1 - Brass, percussion and guard - no woodwinds.  Most big HS music programs have selective ensembles already (i.e., winter drumline, wind ensemble, etc.) this would be another. 

2 - They can enter as many shows as they want or their travel budget allows.  

3  - They will be scored on Open class sheets their first year; after that they can choose World or Open class. 

4 - They have to meet all DCI size (165 max) and member safety requirements.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Not necessarily- if it fits in the allowed logistical footprint you can use it.  Let the designers make the choice- do we go w/ 2each marimbas & vibes and 10 tubas to open up truck space for the prop?  Or do we go no prop & max out size of musical ensemble?   Lets the creators be creative.   

I would be interested to see the d.c.i. rule book that defines which vehicles are defined as trucks and (to be fair) the square footage would have to be equal for each corps so Tony DiCarlo could fly out to each corps spring training with tape measure in hand.

Edited by denverjohn

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

I would be interested to see the d.c.i. rule book that defines which vehicles are defined as trucks and (to be fair) the square footage would have to be equal for each corps so Tony DiCarlo could fly out to each corps spring training with tape measure in hand.

Gonna need a bigger truck.  I’m guessing there isn’t anything in the DCI rule book governing the definition of a truck.

On 10/14/2023 at 6:17 PM, Mello Dude said:

I would limit it to one semi.  Every rig you add is huge money.

1 EQ truck and 1 food truck makes the 2.  No way to avoid that.

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Gonna need a bigger truck.  I’m guessing there isn’t anything in the DCI rule book governing the definition of a truck.

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

Yes - If the rule is adopted there would need to be definitions of what a semi-trailer is. I see enough of them on the road to know that there is a standard size; it just would need to be codified.  There are also the 2-trailer semis pulled by one cab and that would need to be addressed as well- I’m not sure they are legal in all states.  

On 10/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, Mello Dude said:

No, a semi and a food truck (which could be a semi).  Food trucks tend to be semi trailers but they don't need to be.  I mean, cutting down to less vehicles will save a lot of money.  Seriously, if you are going to drum corps shows because of massive props you are missing the point. 

To feed them properly they do need to be a semi.  Not a brand new professionally done food truck for $450,000. A shell being decked out in house works just as well.

Edited by cage

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

3  - They will be scored on Open class sheets their first year; after that they can choose World or Open class. 

World Class and Open Class sheets have been the same for more than 10 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

We were sold a lie !!!!!!

Ok, actually, everyone knew at the time the - we can reduce pit size - was a load of B.S.  In drum corps as in the government, a thing once introduced can never be taken away.

You can look at the front ensemble in the same way that you look at a bloated government program.

Or you can look at the modern front ensemble as the kind of performance group that young people audition by the thousands to participate in. Where else but DCI can a young person who isn't pursuing first chair in the NY Met get the opportunity to perform to such a level of professional musicianship in such a powerful percussion ensemble? There are a lot of young people in the FE because there are a lot of young people who like what the FE is. The USS Front Ensemble can't be seen only as a fever dream of some undisciplined show designer; it meets a demand.

Maybe FEs need to be scaled back for the financial health of the activity. Fine. But let's not delude ourselves that the FE has become some kind of external burden that's been foisted upon us by a nameless bureaucracy.