A follow up message from CA&E's Board Chairperson

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

If DCI goes away people will find other fun things to do instead and that probably won't be some new summer marching band circuit, which is what the post I was originally responding to was proposing. There is no fundamental void that DCI is filling that will be filled by some other similar activity if DCI goes away.

If the plot of One Second After ever happens, we're screwed with no online videos or using DVD's.

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

It's probably a little late for my dance career.

381 Chris Farley Comedy Stock Photos, High-Res Pictures, and Images - Getty  Images

work it

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, don’t sell yourself short. Maybe drum corps taught us things such as:  How to be on time, how to keep going when you want to quit, how to help a teammate, how to deal with people who are jerks, how to lead, how Not to lead, etc.  I think these are all skills that help in all professions. 

I have a nuanced take on this that I won't bore everyone with.

Suffice to say, yes, in most cases these skills help most professions and should be hyped to bolster the value of any educational activity. I'd venture to say most of the others I mentioned also teach these skills, but as they directly relate to a sustainable career, unlike drum corps.

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And respectfully, my point, as someone who pursued the professional dance career route, is that finding a successful career in dance is just as bleak for most. Precious few make it to a professional dance company, and those that do find that such roles don't include benefits that even remotely cover damage done to the body. The vast majority of us have side gigs. And the vast majority of us don't last in the field. It's not a viable career direction for most, especially if you don't come from money or pedigree. Drum corps, if anything, would hold most back because the dance training in drum corps is far less developed than college programs; it's a big reason for so many injuries actually. I had to unlearn so many bad drum corps dance habits and Isee it every season when I watch shows.

Thus, my experience might disprove your theory that becoming a pro dancer is more straightforward than either athlete or musician via drum corps or otherwise. It's simply not, and arguably more difficult because the underlying dancer industry infrastructure is so flimsy. And in turn, it's not often the best route for young people to rely on. Again, all based in the lived experiences of myself and others in my career cohort.

If the chance of becoming a professional dancer is less than .023% then ok as that is the percentage of a high school athlete becoming a pro.

3 hours ago, dbc03 said:

My original point is that nobody is doing drum corps to become a professional marcher. DCI is not filling the nonexistent niche of creating professional marchers.

You said "DC was just a fun thing to do and helped them with their future endeavors"

This is my point! It's a fun thing to do, not a professional development program. Yes, for band directors or musicians or dancers it's somewhat related and they can learn things that they apply to their profession, but that is not the point of the activity. If DCI goes away people will still be successful musicians, band directors, and dancers, it is not a requirement for any profession.

If DCI goes away people will find other fun things to do instead and that probably won't be some new summer marching band circuit, which is what the post I was originally responding to was proposing. There is no fundamental void that DCI is filling that will be filled by some other similar activity if DCI goes away.

Maybe you did get my point.  I never said anyone would be a professional marcher.  I said professional musician.  Or dancer.  Being in dc could help them achieve that more readily that being in high school sports and becoming a pro athlete.

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

thats why i said a ton of stories. i made sure to preface it.

i'll ask...what the hell suddenly popped up that put the corps in this shape. this had to be seen coming weeks ago. 

More will be forthcoming Jeff.  Please reread John's note to answer your question.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

If the chance of becoming a professional dancer is less than .023% then ok as that is the percentage of a high school athlete becoming a pro.

Respectfully,  we're arguing over which is more rare when both are. BLS statistics say there were approximately 14k pro athlete jobs in 2022 with 9% job growth rate for the next 10 yrs vs 18k pro dance jobs (not just performer, but educator, choreographer and other non performer roles) with 5% growth rate. So young people who want to be on the stage may have to settle for other roles, and still probably not get decent benefits cause those are incredibly rare. Also, only one of these jobs averages at $22/hr wages. I'm guessing you all know which one. The other averages over $90k/yr.

And this is my concern, if drum corps is a pathway to professional dance, then it's not a solid one and it doesn't lead to a sustainable career with benefits for aging bodies for most marchers. These are statistics and my own qualitative experience. But sure, you can ignore this if you want to continue to lead young people on a wild goose chase. I'm just here with a little dose of reality, having lived it.

The value for colorguard performers needs a serious look. Has for a while.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Respectfully,  we're arguing over which is more rare when both are. BLS statistics say there were approximately 14k pro athlete jobs in 2022 with 9% job growth rate for the next 10 yrs vs 18k pro dance jobs (not just performer, but educator, choreographer and other non performer roles) with 5% growth rate. So young people who want to be on the stage may have to settle for other roles, and still probably not get decent benefits cause those are incredibly rare. Also, only one of these jobs averages at $22/hr wages. I'm guessing you all know which one. The other averages over $90k/yr.

And this is my concern, if drum corps is a pathway to professional dance, then it's not a solid one and it doesn't lead to a sustainable career with benefits for aging bodies for most marchers. These are statistics and my own qualitative experience. But sure, you can ignore this if you want to continue to lead young people on a wild goose chase. I'm just here with a little dose of reality, having lived it.

The value for colorguard performers needs a serious look. Has for a while.

I’m not arguing I’m only pointing out one simple comparison.  That’s it.  That it is statistically a much lower percentage of athletes making it to the pro level than other drum corps people become professional musicians, band directors and the like.  I only mentioned guard to include other dc members.  Not to specifically to make a point about becoming professional dancers no more than the pro athlete percentage comparison I referenced.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’m not arguing I’m only pointing out one simple comparison.  That’s it.  That it is statistically a much lower percentage of athletes making it to the pro level than other drum corps people become professional musicians, band directors and the like.  I only mentioned guard to include other dc members.  Not to specifically to make a point about becoming professional dancers no more than the pro athlete percentage comparison I referenced.

My apologies then. I just think the statistics show that pro dancers are equally as rare.

And I guess I just fear young guard alum falling into the same trap I did.