Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

48 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

1 Transportation

2 Transportation

3 Transportation

4 Transportation (depending on the suitability of ST location for actually hosting a clinic)

5 Transportation

Still cheaper than driving show-to-show across multiple state borders of course, but not as cut and dried as your first post example.

To take the transportation issue to its logical conclusion, if a Corps doesn’t travel anywhere, it will have no transportation costs.  So, the best way to minimize cost is to not have a Corps.   Seems like all the Corps that have folded since the activity began were actually on to something.  

21 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Continuing the debate on whether it is better to shorten or not is/was not the question.  The question is about discussing real ideas about GENERATING REVENUE.  That is what might HELP a corps. What achievable efforts can a corps do, to create real revenue; sustainable revenue?  Give them realistic feasible ideas.

We always hear « it’s with money that you make money ». The young me didn’t understand the level of truth of that phrase until much later in life. Until I experience it myself at many levels (no saving, 50 000$ saving, 250 000$ saving and on and on). 

People wouldn’t believe how easy the doors  open in front of you when you get richer. 

Being rich is not how big your budget is. It’s how much is left in your pocket after you paid everything  

It may look silly but I’d say to corps: save 10% every year. For a world class corps, it’s 170k out of a 1,7M budget. 

After 5-6-7 years, you would have enough to get in the real-estate market, obligations market, buy a McDonald, a gaz station, ect. 

A few corps are there already. Other should apply the discipline they ask their members to have to their own admin. 

Not believing?  Some corps tour 6 weeks for half the cost of other corps!  Savings are possible. 

Edited by Old Guy

8 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

1 Transportation

2 Transportation

3 Transportation

4 Transportation (depending on the suitability of ST location for actually hosting a clinic)

5 Transportation

Still cheaper than driving show-to-show across multiple state borders of course, but not as cut and dried as your first post example.

Buy your own bus!! 

More work. Some unknown. But even with paying someone 80k to maintain fleet you would still save money. 

At 2000$/day x 60 days is 120 000$ renting. 

Buying for 40 000$ (start small and conservative). Gaz: 20 000$. Insurance 10 000$. Maintenance 40 000$ = 110 000$. 

Numbers are out of nowhere because I am not familiar with coach busses. But I am with school bus: 

Buy after 11 years of service 5 000$ 

Maintenance: 8000$ On a bad year

Gaz (4 weeks) open class tour: 5 000$

Insurance: 2000$

Drivers: volunteers! Or 700$/week 

Total: 20 000$.  
Rental: 30 days x 1500$ = 45 000$

+ you can use your vehicle all year long for other purpose (camp, audition, spring training, trading services with others- like private school) 

Cost of buying divide by 5 years. 

Credible governance is probably the single best thing a corps can do to increase revenue. With that in place, you can raise a meaningful endowment and have a not insignificant portion of your operating expenses covered each year. 

Running a corps is quite labor intensive. Credibly running multiple side hustles seems like too great a strain on already limited resources.

My corps (Pioneer) is a hot mess and I wouldn’t waste a single dollar on the current ‘leadership.’ Fix the governance and I wouldn’t be the only alumni willing to make a meaningful contribution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Suggestion for sustainability:  DFTK.  

the first rule yet most ignored rule

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

1 Transportation

2 Transportation

3 Transportation

5 Transportation

Except. Locals gigs can be done with cheaper busses and a daily rental than the tour cost.  If you use small ensembles , it becomes a van rental from budget and not a tour bus. 

On 11/6/2023 at 10:33 AM, Jeff Ream said:

from what i have seen and heard, not cheaper than high schools. sure no busses.

so a 7 week spring training for a 6 week tour. lets look at baseball, and yeah i know, pro athletes. 6 weeks of spring training for a 6 month season. 

College housing where you can use the cafeteria. Versus the internal costs of touring a cook truck.  High schools are costing more each season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Buy your own bus!! 

More work. Some unknown. But even with paying someone 80k to maintain fleet you would still save money. 

At 2000$/day x 60 days is 120 000$ renting. 

Buying for 40 000$ (start small and conservative). Gaz: 20 000$. Insurance 10 000$. Maintenance 40 000$ = 110 000$. 

Numbers are out of nowhere because I am not familiar with coach busses. But I am with school bus: 

Buy after 11 years of service 5 000$ 

Maintenance: 8000$ On a bad year

Gaz (4 weeks) open class tour: 5 000$

Insurance: 2000$

Drivers: volunteers! Or 700$/week 

Total: 20 000$.  
Rental: 30 days x 1500$ = 45 000$

+ you can use your vehicle all year long for other purpose (camp, audition, spring training, trading services with others- like private school) 

Cost of buying divide by 5 years. 

Throw out the volunteers for maintenance. It’s hard enough to get them to help sit and check in students at camp or to even to stand around gudining people at an already organized 5k.   

cost to store, cost to maintain, and then cost to service when they break.  When you rent everything else is covered. And if you break it, they bring you a new one.