What is wrong with US?

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Mmm, that's $1000 per violation and possibly $100 per day of noncompliance. If donations make up more than half of their revenue as previously indicated, that may not be a nothingburger. Cause every little bit counts right?

But that's just the legal side. Loss of trust and faith in the donor pool, which many in drum corps seem to disregard, is also problematic to most healthy nonprofits.

Not sure where you're getting this $100 per day thing, but organizations making hundreds of millions of dollars were fined $1k per year. Smaller organizations with $1 million budgets were also fined $1k per year They aren't going to throw the book at a tiny musical group.

It's making a mountain out of a molehill

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Not sure where you're getting this $100 per day thing, but organizations making hundreds of millions of dollars were fined $1k per year. Smaller organizations with $1 million budgets were also fined $1k per year They aren't going to throw the book at a tiny musical group.

It's making a mountain out of a molehill

I edited my statement. The $1000 per violation and $100 per day is regarding professional solicitors. My bad.

I'd prefer what you say is true honestly. But that still doesn't address the donor trust problem I brought up. I wouldn't risk my np on those odds, especially when compliance is np 101.

We’ve watched the same mistakes made, repeatedly, and the governing body does nothing except just almost enough to quiet the uproar that should actually happen. 

Sexual assault? Yup. Repeat offenses. 

Financial scandals? Yup. Repeat offenses. 

The only similarity is that both are never brought to light until the laundry gets aired by someone else. So there’s no actual internal accountability.

Just now, C.Holland said:

The only similarity is that both are never brought to light until the laundry gets aired by someone else. So there’s no actual internal accountability.

I mean, there is a very recent example of a corps announcing their financial issues publicly without having to have their dirty laundry aired by someone else

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbc03 said:

I mean, there is a very recent example of a corps announcing their financial issues publicly without having to have their dirty laundry aired by someone else

This is an anomaly. 

14 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I edited my statement. The $1000 per violation and $100 per day is regarding professional solicitors. My bad.

I'd prefer what you say is true honestly. But that still doesn't address the donor trust problem I brought up. I wouldn't risk my np on those odds, especially when compliance is np 101.

The issue should be fixed if they aren't in compliance and they should figure out who dropped the ball, but come on, is this what DCP has become? Digging through state bureaucracy to find any little gotcha we can?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

The issue should be fixed if they aren't in compliance and they should figure out who dropped the ball, but come on, is this what DCP has become? Digging through state bureaucracy to find any little gotcha we can?

Okay, so there is common ground here.

What you dismiss as gotcha, others call public scrutiny. Those providing public scrutiny have likely been legitimately harmed in some way by these orgs in the past. Some can call it axes to grind, but most whistleblowers acting in his faith do so with intent of protecting others from enduring what they did. If people don't like it here they can not engage or convince the mods it's ban worthy.

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Are these problems considered dirty laundry? Are they problems that were caused directly by the organizations actions (or lack thereof)? Did the pandemic contribute to their inability to meet costs? Were there other factors in play? 

Those are the kind of questions that arise.  And forums like this one are a reasonable place to get feedback that points toward the answers.

13 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

And uh, that was after a serious restructuring, after their dirty laundry was aired big time... not just out of the kindness of their hearts alone.

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I completely agree with the idea that if no other avenues have worked, then try another one. It's the same way things (mostly) work in the Navy. I am not here to "tell anyone how to report things" that have happened to THEM. That should rightfully left up to the victim. 

well....lets take Richard Lesher. as has been documented, SCV has hardly been transparent. so he came here and other places when people with the organization did all they could to freeze him out. good right?

then the Cadets post...well, according to those with the corps, no not so good. granted PA is run differently than CA....in sooooo many ways....he could be wrong since the state..err commonwealths website doesnt give the specifics CA does. but he could be right too.

• Like 3