SoA/DCI Lawsuit Update

7 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

A couple of questions:

1. Where can you find DCI's 990's ?

2.Do the 990's "itemize" the sources for $14 M revenues ?

Did this ever bring me back to my reality: my early days in newspapers, hollering across the room of desks of fellow journalists, trying to find some information for a story I was working on. Which is one problem in the pageantry industry: there is no active media covering it.

Easiest example: there is no Sports Illustrated for the activities everyone here loves and craves actual information on and reporting about. Being a niche market helps the organizations involved; there is simply not enough general interest for anyone to cover the marching arts like sports columnists cover figure skating, for example.

Trish Navolny was never going to be given drum corps as a "beat," even though she broke the biggest scandal of the century. Being slap dab in the middle of "Me Too" accusations helped. But unless there had been a domino effect of further accusations across the industry for her to cover -- i.e. women and men coming forward -- she had a single, sensational story. And moved from Philly to USA Today.

I first wrote for "Contest Guild" in 1978, about DCI's lead-up show to World Championships in Birmingham, AL. Continued writing for the various tabloids of the times through the early 90s. But it was PR language, intended to applaud performers, shows, and organizations, all in the hope of attracting audiences. Problem was, no one but the already faithful read "Guild," "Drum Corps World," and the now the ever-smaller, niche, online offerings.

Some glowing stories I penned were edited because, "that might be misread by the corps. Can't offend them."

There were no deep pockets then, and even fewer today, in the marching arts and the media in general, so hoping for an active media remains a pipe dream I have had for more than 50 years.

Fellow DCPer's: thank you for often filling in as that dream of mine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well that’s certainly convenient.   I didn’t know Indianapolis was a water sports destination. 

it's close to the NCAA which probably enticed the company to move HQ there

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, David Hill said:

Did this ever bring me back to my reality: my early days in newspapers, hollering across the room of desks of fellow journalists, trying to find some information for a story I was working on. Which is one problem in the pageantry industry: there is no active media covering it.

Easiest example: there is no Sports Illustrated for the activities everyone here loves and craves actual information on and reporting about. Being a niche market helps the organizations involved; there is simply not enough general interest for anyone to cover the marching arts like sports columnists cover figure skating, for example.

Trish Navolny was never going to be given drum corps as a "beat," even though she broke the biggest scandal of the century. Being slap dab in the middle of "Me Too" accusations helped. But unless there had been a domino effect of further accusations across the industry for her to cover -- i.e. women and men coming forward -- she had a single, sensational story. And moved from Philly to USA Today.

I first wrote for "Contest Guild" in 1978, about DCI's lead-up show to World Championships in Birmingham, AL. Continued writing for the various tabloids of the times through the early 90s. But it was PR language, intended to applaud performers, shows, and organizations, all in the hope of attracting audiences. Problem was, no one but the already faithful read "Guild," "Drum Corps World," and the now the ever-smaller, niche, online offerings.

Some glowing stories I penned were edited because, "that might be misread by the corps. Can't offend them."

There were no deep pockets then, and even fewer today, in the marching arts and the media in general, so hoping for an active media remains a pipe dream I have had for more than 50 years.

Fellow DCPer's: thank you for often filling in as that dream of mine.

as a writer for DCW, i too felt the need to not "offend". i was not officially edited that i ever noticed, but i was encouraged to maybe soften the tone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Shiny, happy people holding hands.  

thats why the unfiltered versions ended up on here

• Like 1

ProPublica also has the ability to look up non-profit information. Here is DCI, for example.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/362754480

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well that’s certainly convenient.   I didn’t know Indianapolis was a water sports destination. 

For those who follow the sports-ball worlds as well, there is a certain Pat McAfee story of which this should remind us...

• 3 weeks later...