Veterans Day Weekend & Drum Corps

Technically tomorrow, but...

All the best to all of our country's veterans and for our purposes in particular, those inside our beloved drum corps universe including the many right here on DCP who served honorably and with the utmost in courage and sacrifice to ensure us all the freedoms that we hold so dear in our nation. We honor you on this and every day we live. Thank you and God Bless you. 

Please do something nice for a veteran this weekend, be it family, friend or a complete stranger. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Technically tomorrow, but...

All the best to all of our country's veterans and for our purposes in particular, those inside our beloved drum corps universe including the many right here on DCP who served honorably and with the utmost in courage and sacrifice to ensure us all the freedoms that we hold so dear in our nation. We honor you on this and every day we live. Thank you and God Bless you. 

Please do something nice for a veteran this weekend, be it family, friend or a complete stranger. 

Today is the Marine Corps Birthday.

• Like 5

Veterans invented competitive Drum Corps in this country, following WWI. My very first bugle instructor, Jim Donnelly, served during that conflict. Already in his 70s when he showed me how to hold a single-piston G/D soprano in 1960, he had previously won several American Legion and VFW National titles teaching St. Vincent's Cadets, the Caballeros and the Skyliners, written numerous brass method books and bugle arrangements, and co-invented the French Horn bugle with Caesar LaMonica.

Carman Cluna, the famous drill instructor, served in the US Army, and most know of the legendary Col. Truman Crawford who led both the US Air Force and the Marine Corps drum corps, taught and arranged for multiple National Champions, including the  Chicago Royal Airs and Baltimore Yankee Rebels, and was the premier brass judge for both DCA and DCI for many years. There are literally hundreds of other examples.

Military veterans comprise the force that initiated and sustained drum corps for decades. When DCI corps carry the National Colors onto the field on retreat at Indy, they are honoring that history, though few probably realize it.

Did you march? Ever enjoy a parade or drum corps show? Thank a veteran.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We just had our traditional Veterans Program this week sponsored by our elementary schools.  We even had a Coast Guard veteran in the house; they're sometimes overlooked.  It was great!  I'm just wondering when they'll add the Space Force to the "Armed Forces Salute".  Guess we'll need a rewrite.  

Thank you Veterans for your sacrifice & service to the 'best country' in our little world! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

To commemorate Armistice Day, I decided to step out to the driveway with my valveless G and play "To the Colors" for our US vets and "Last Post" for our allies, the British. We are in a fairly rural area so I didn't expect anyone would hear, but after the last note, from the other side of the road, deep into a cherry orchard, a voice yelled "Thank You!"

It felt like a scene from some bugler's version of "Field of Dreams". The dream of the world on Nov.11th, 1918 (a mere 105 years ago) was that there would never be another war. Sadly, it's still a dream, albeit a worthy one. Here's hoping it comes true soon.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ironlips said:

To commemorate Armistice Day, I decided to step out to the driveway with my valveless G and play "To the Colors" for our US vets and "Last Post" for our allies, the British. We are in a fairly rural area so I didn't expect anyone would hear, but after the last note, from the other side of the road, deep into a cherry orchard, a voice yelled "Thank You!"

It felt like a scene from some bugler's version of "Field of Dreams". The dream of the world on Nov.11th, 1918 (a mere 105 years ago) was that there would never be another war. Sadly, it's still a dream, albeit a worthy one. Here's hoping it comes true soon.

Holy wow. Thank you, indeed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

A blessed Veteran’s Day to all who served.  Most of our WWII veterans (Jim’s Dad) are gone now and the Korean veterans are going fast (my Dad). The Vietnam veterans are older guys now (Jim).   It’s valuable to listen to their stories before they’re gone. 

Dad was a Korean War vet and of the generation that didn’t talk about things. Over the years picked out he was in Army Corps of Engineers and was with a formerly all Black outfit (armed forces had been recently integrated). In that group he was a minority. Then on to Fort Churchill Manitoba to work on Defense Early Warning (DEW) line. 
Yeah nothing interesting 🤦‍♂️ and now too late to ask.