Vintage DCI at 2023 BOA Grand Nationals

1 hour ago, TOC said:

With so many head staff and techs working both the DCI and band circuits, have there been any shady characters that have had issues in both organizations?

I am sure there have been. I am in NJ, and I can think of several over time, mostly long ago. The newish law passed that requires districts to report on people being let go for bad behavior (no more “passing the trash”) instead of just being forced to resign has helped a lot. It used to be that unless there was a legal case a district was not permitted to  say anything about a teacher leaving, or the teacher could have sued!!!

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

I noticed Matt (drop the hammer) Harloff getting excited in front of his Avon H.S. to the left of the pit. Matt in a suit is a rarity. 

Search the "tube".

Matt in a suit - lol!

Was very happy to see him become the head director at Avon (after all of the years as an assistant director).  If they won BOA Grand Nationals with him taking the job at the beginning of the Summer when he was knee deep in Crown stuff, can’t wait to see what happens next with a full year of planning.

If you caught Matt in a suit, you may have also seen the interview Dan Potter did with him and his daughter (one of the Avon drum majors, I think) after their performance - nice moment for the two of them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

As seen/heard over the weekend in Indy at BOA Grand Nationals:

Carmel H.S., IN (2nd place), show title “Prophecy”.  They did Bernstein’s Jeremiah Symphony, as was used in Cadets 1985.  Carmel’s entire show came from this symphony.  As an interesting side note, Carmel had no props in their show.

The Woodlands H.S., TX (5th place), show title “Day Danse”.  They had Chick Corea’s “Spanish Fantasy”, “Day Danse”, and “My Spanish Heart” as their rep, as was used in Blue Devils 1994.  They were easily one of the crowd favorites and brought the house down every time with each of their three performances over the weekend.

Both of these bands were truly amazing, and were very faithful to the source material.  

As soon as I saw that Carmel was doing the Jeremiah Symphony, I knew it was going to be incredible, and once I saw that “Day Danse” was The Woodlands’ show title, it immediately became the show that I was most looking forward to seeing.

It was great reminiscing about these old DCI shows while watching two of the best bands in the country this weekend.  

Vintage DCI? Maybe from a rep standpoint. But the park n play, movement, props... that is all DCI of today.

Edited by CAtenhut

12 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

As seen/heard over the weekend in Indy at BOA Grand Nationals:

Carmel H.S., IN (2nd place), show title “Prophecy”.  They did Bernstein’s Jeremiah Symphony, as was used in Cadets 1985.  Carmel’s entire show came from this symphony.  As an interesting side note, Carmel had no props in their show.

The Woodlands H.S., TX (5th place), show title “Day Danse”.  They had Chick Corea’s “Spanish Fantasy”, “Day Danse”, and “My Spanish Heart” as their rep, as was used in Blue Devils 1994.  They were easily one of the crowd favorites and brought the house down every time with each of their three performances over the weekend.

Both of these bands were truly amazing, and were very faithful to the source material.  

As soon as I saw that Carmel was doing the Jeremiah Symphony, I knew it was going to be incredible, and once I saw that “Day Danse” was The Woodlands’ show title, it immediately became the show that I was most looking forward to seeing.

It was great reminiscing about these old DCI shows while watching two of the best bands in the country this weekend.  

woodlands was my favorite show of the weekend, followed by Carmel. a nod also to Avon doing 87 SCV ending....with a company front that broke apart ala Cadets 87

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes to all your questions...Success breeds success..and $$$$$$$$$$ and often the $ don't come from the school but a great parent organization  raising necessary funds

and in many cases an educational system that has things set up from elementary on up

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TOC said:

With so many head staff and techs working both the DCI and band circuits, have there been any shady characters that have had issues in both organizations?

before reporting probably. back in the days of "hey leave and we won't say anything" I'm sure there were.

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

Vintage DCI? Maybe from a rep standpoint. But the park n play, movement, props... that is all DCI of today.

Carmel had none

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't know why I don't follow bands much. I should. They look like drum corps, sound like drum corps, have all of the pageantry and precision of drum corps minus much of the scandals and controversy of drum corps (from what little I do know anyway). 

Some things I do not know about competitive bands that maybe someone can fill me in on.

Where do they get all these kids? My high school had 2500 students we'd be lucky to get 40-50 even remotely interested in band and marching band was the lowlife of the HS music world. Do they rehearse one show or do they have football game type shows and competitive shows? Are the staffs for these super large bands as large as corps? Where do they come from? All volunteer? 

Most of the top marching bands in the country share the same talent pool for design and instructional staff with drum corps. Often staff members recruit their high school students to eventually march the corp they teacher during the summer. Which is extremely beneficial to have new members joining with a familiarity of technique, and fundamental exercises before the summer even begins.

My highschool had around 2500 students, but well over 200 in band and guard. Those numbers definitely made us the most dominant group on campus. Band and guard was the "it"  thing to do. We had a great band director (who actually was the founder of a drum corp from back in the 80s), and a ton of really supportive and dedicated parents. Our design and caption heads were paid staff members funded by our parent booster organization, and the techs were volunteers. 

• Thanks 1