After a problem is reported… what?

Lot of information on the threads about abuse and reporting. But what I haven’t seen is a definitive answer to: After an issue is reported to a corps or DCI, then what should happen according to policy? I’ve seen that DCI is connected to a group (MAASN??) that handles reports. But nothing on what is done with those reports by anyone.

Does DCI really have such a huge hole in protection or am I just missing info? Just looks like “ok problem has been reported so that’s all we need to do”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Back when I was working in Open Class, after the Hopkins dismissal DCI required all corps to have a policy addressing allegations and investigations, and I think they also gave us required elements.  I wrote the one for our group, but I had a good template to work with based on hospital compliance.  I think DCI also has one they use internally, but I don't remember specifically after all of these years.

Mike

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Back when I was working in Open Class, after the Hopkins dismissal DCI required all corps to have a policy addressing allegations and investigations, and I think they also gave us required elements.  I wrote the one for our group, but I had a good template to work with based on hospital compliance.  I think DCI also has one they use internally, but I don't remember specifically after all of these years.

Mike

Thanks, I was in DoD before they had a policy (IOW before Project Tailhook abuse scandal hit) until few years ago. What strikes me is how the policy and training kept changing to keep up with the times or to cover something that was missed. Originally only male harassing female was covered, then oh yeah females can harass men so put that in. Finally same sex harassing and adding prevention of sexual assault (do not take this training after lunch).

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks, I was in DoD before they had a policy (IOW before Project Tailhook abuse scandal hit) until few years ago. What strikes me is how the policy and training kept changing to keep up with the times or to cover something that was missed. Originally only male harassing female was covered, then oh yeah females can harass men so put that in. Finally same sex harassing and adding prevention of sexual assault (do not take this training after lunch).

New rules always have a story/incident behind them. Starting with ‘Thou shalt not kill’.  

• Like 1

In my line of work we (the entire industry, nationwide) use a database of persons granted access to our facilities plus those denied access.   When a new employee is hired and requests access, the company checks this database. 
So, to answer the OP’s question, DCI could mandate reporting to DCI. Any corps “denying access” of a person to that corps (marching member, staff) is required to report it to DCI. DCI enters into their compliance database (to be developed) and it is tracked that way. So, the offender’s name isn’t dragged through the mud but can still be checked and denied access at any corps. Each corps is required to check the database to make sure any new members have not been previously denied access at another corps. 

Don’t say it can’t be done because it is being done in my industry. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

is MAASIn officially linked with DCI?

i mean given the sensitivity of the *issue, nothing public would be made known no matter what happens....unless someone felt it wasn't handled correctly and it ends up here, Reddit, Instagram, Twitter etc

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

is MAASIn officially linked with DCI?

i mean given the sensitivity of the *issue, nothing public would be made known no matter what happens....unless someone felt it wasn't handled correctly and it ends up here, Reddit, Instagram, Twitter etc

Agree MAAS wouldn’t release info to general public. But brings up the question if someone applies for a job with a corps, how would that corps find out if that person had problems elsewhere? Other than background check how could a corps find out? 
And if the corps where problems occurred keeps their mouth shut about it.🤔

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree MAAS wouldn’t release info to general public. But brings up the question if someone applies for a job with a corps, how would that corps find out if that person had problems elsewhere? Other than background check how could a corps find out? 
And if the corps where problems occurred keeps their mouth shut about it.🤔

yeah i have no idea what kind of database DCI keeps if at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

SoA lawsuit may shed some light.  But I suspect that is some ways out 

if it can even become public. HR policies and all.