DCI Januals 2024

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

But they are inextricably related.  And as a result, sustainability is a product of the relative availability and skill of corps managers, and the changing external demands of the society and economy.  You cannot ignore those links and just assign blanket blame on "incompetent management" every time a corps ceases to operate.

By extension, a quick look at finances and member treatment in the past would suggest that ALL corps had incompetent management BITD.  That would be a stretch... oh, look - that IS basically what you are saying:

Then I guess they should have all folded back in the 19_0s.  (Fill in whichever decade you wish.)

I do not think Cadets have folded.  They are just taking a year off.  Why the hyperbole?

Two thoughts on that:

1.  I think the rising bar of a society that takes a more proactive interest in member health and safety is part of the sustainability equation.

2.  Contrast Cadets with Shadow.  As I understand it, as soon as Shadow discovered one of their staffers was grooming - fired.  I cringe to even hint at how long Cadets management dithered (or worse yet, defended) in their case.  Which corps had the better management?

if the Cadets are selling assets to cover the debt plus whatever legal fees they are incurring, as well as the insinuation their paperwork in PA isn't as up to snuff as some have claimed.....i see coming back very hard to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Just looked at docket website w/ Cadets lawsuit.  The New Guy was served w/ the official paperwork listing DCI as a defendant.  Somehow I think that updating the 2018 Strat Plan isn’t first priority.  

well they could change it to 2024 at least

6 hours ago, GBugler said:

At least four of the corps on this list don't count towards the "sustainability" argument. One was eliminated by utter incompetence from organizational management...

If SCV folds it will be for utter incompetence from organizational management...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

If SCV folds it will be for utter incompetence from organizational management...

... which will have ultimately, tragically resulted in numerous reports of egregious member treatment prior to said folding.

Again, because all of these things are inextricably linked to sustainability.

(None of this comment is directed at you, MM.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Some folks here like to argue for arguments sake.  To be clear, as a instructor/educator/mentor of students for more than 45 years, there is NOTHING more critical to me than member safety. Having said that, it is disingenuous to lump actual legal wrong doing into the catch basin of "sustainability".  Legal wrong doing should be fully prosecuted and the guilty should be sent to prison.  It is looking more and more like many of these corps who are folding are being rightfully pushed that way because of that wrong doing.

Speaking of folding, if anyone thinks Cadets are simply taking a year off, either you haven't been paying attention or you are simply in denial.   They have sold off their assets, disbanded their staff, and the lawyer who is currently suing them has stated that once he wins the current case, he has a long line of other plaintiffs waiting to also bring action and there apparently are so many this may well go on for years. Remember,  criminal prosecution is about justice but civil suits are about money.  Even if the victims aren't in it for the money, you can be sure their lawyers are.

So no...the Cadets are done and I take no pleasure in saying so.  There were a great drum corps,  including 2023. I wish last year's kids and staff the very best going forward. Hope they all find a new home.

if he wins this case, there won't be enough to cover what they want for this, let alone any future cases.

where was it he said this? in an article somewhere?

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

... which will have ultimately, tragically resulted in numerous reports of egregious member treatment prior to said folding.

Oh yeah I agree. Sustainability applies to more than just financial stability. There are many aspects to it. There is sustainability of culture (a toxic culture will die out and not perpetuate), sustainability of operational processes (poor processes lead to issues that will sink the ship), sustainability of ideology (an ideology/mission statement that is too narrow to resonate with subsequent cohorts will not attract talent). 

It's not just talking about finances.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

It is kind of like the Titanic.  It sank because too much water got into the ship.   But water got into the ship because it ran into an iceberg which tore a hole down the side.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is kind of like the Titanic.  It sank because too much water got into the ship.   But water got into the ship because it ran into an iceberg which tore a hole down the side.  

MOVIE SPOILERS!  

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

MOVIE SPOILERS!  

i've been gone so long....

• Haha 1