The Cavaliers Welcomes Daniel Belcher as New Drum Corps Director

The Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps proudly announces the appointment of Daniel Belcher as their next Drum Corps Director. As previously announced, Dr. Michael Vaughn, retiring corps director, will continue with the organization through the end of the 2024 drum corps season working with Daniel to ensure a smooth transition. Read the rest of the […]

View the full article

I'm happy Dr. Michael Vaughn will be with Daniel Belcher during the 2024 Drumcorps season. Mike is the best corps director I have ever worked with. I wish Daniel all the success in the world. 

• Like 1

Wondering if @Paul Milano can add anything about this announcement. 

I do like that Daniel is young and new blood. Also wishing him much success. 

• Like 1

thats the kid from BK right?

4 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Wondering if @Paul Milano can add anything about this announcement. 

I do like that Daniel is young and new blood. Also wishing him much success. 

I was not part of this search process, in an official capacity.  I did the last three or four executive searches for the Cavaliers, as that is part of my professional background, and since I didn't charge them for my services, it saved them a decent chunk of change each time.
Anyway, I gave the new search committee leaders all my prior notes and search process information (time for younger blood to get these experiences!), and they kept me apprised as things progressed, though I truly did not have any real impact on the effort they undertook or the decisions they reached.  The search committee leadership and members also have excellent professional background in these matters. 
There were a number of excellent candidates and Daniel continued to rise through the ranks until ultimately being offered the job.  
He is young(ish), all things considered, but has ample experience, especially since he will be coming into a situation with a strong support staff in place, and six months with the current Corps Director (and the current Executive Director) to help with the transition.  He should be well-prepared to take it from there and have success.
I've already talked with him and shared my experience being a new, young (24 years old at the time) Corps Manager for Spirit of Atlanta when I started with them in the fall of 1977.  That was pretty much a brand new organization, and I, too, had the former Corps Director still involved to help with my transition.  Spirit, at the time, did not have the infrastructure then that Cavaliers (or most corps nowadays) have now.  Back in the 70s, for all corps, it was a couple volunteers helping to manage finances, tour logistics, food, insurance, etc., etc., etc.  
Daniel is set up for success with an excellent, engaged (but not meddlesome) Board of Directors, great office support staff (with continuity), strong parent and alumni support, a very solid financial situation, and plenty of people ready and willing to assist him. 
I have high hopes.
P.S.  The search for the Executive Director is still continuing, without any issues, and some creative solutions to that should be forthcoming soon.  I also anticipate great hiring for that situation, based on current candidates, and all the aforementioned support and structure that the new hire(s) will be able to avail themselves of when they start.  

Edited by Paul Milano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

thats the kid from BK right?

Yes, he's from BK.

Thank you, Paul for checking in and the feedback. That's so great to hear. I'd forgotten about your time with SOA, so I'm sure the talk you had with Daniel was very informative for him. This storied drum corps looks to be in the best hands.

• Like 1

According to this forum, this same person resigned his position as director at Blue Knights because career plans in another line of work would not allow such a time commitment.  Anyone want to update, clarify or correct that?

• Haha 1