A Great Article on The Cadets

Community outreach has been a problem, even at the scholastic level. I interviewed for a HS job stating clearly that I thought the program had a serious issue with this and I planned to do more concerts and appearances in the district as an appreciation for the monetary support we continuously got from it. It was clear from the administration it was going over their heads. They ended up hiring a weak supposedly talented Alumni who wrecked the program and ended up getting arrested for throwing a great Alcohol and weed party with the kids. 😼

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, BigW said:

Community outreach has been a problem, even at the scholastic level. I interviewed for a HS job stating clearly that I thought the program had a serious issue with this and I planned to do more concerts and appearances in the district as an appreciation for the monetary support we continuously got from it. It was clear from the administration it was going over their heads. They ended up hiring a weak supposedly talented Alumni who wrecked the program and ended up getting arrested for throwing a great Alcohol and weed party with the kids. 😼

It's almost like nonprofits and other community-focused programs should be run by people who have run nonprofits before. Not just folks people like who went thru the programming, but who have no proven professional skills in the thing they're doing.

Too many people think they can just take the money and run. That's strategically inefficient at best, and unethical/illegal at worst.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 11:50 AM, Richard Lesher said:

The Blue Devils for example can leverage BDB and BDC for those local connections and have other entertainment groups for just pep band stuff in the Bay Area. The BDA Corps is more or less a luxury for them as a non profit. It's sucking out just as much as any other top tier world class corps from it's community, but BD breaks even with the B and C corps in terms of community goodwill. 

On 2/29/2024 at 4:28 PM, jwillis35 said:

I have said this for many years about Blue Devils. Having the B and C corps, the Diabalo Wind Band, their music lesson program, Special Needs Guard, BD entertainment drum lines and guard stuff, and other educational clinics and projects that they run locally and around the state help them keep plenty of local/regional youth involved with the corps. That brings in local parents/volunteers who want to help with a range of things. They are well respected in their community. Years ago I was looking at one of the Concord, CA chamber of commerce websites and one of the first things you saw in the video they had posted was of Blue Devils. Yes, the A corps is a nice luxory but you are correct that it's all the other local things they do that keep them funded because they get lots of help from local people who love what they bring to the community. 

This is something many corps have not built, including The Cadets...sadly. I know they tried with YEA; and while I do not have all the answers I have heard they burned too many bridges...and of course they kept moving the corps and burning more bridges. 

I think this is backwards. Or part of it is. What makes BD unique isn't the local connections. It's the money. The bingo money makes BDB, BDC, etc., possible, which makes the local connections work. At YEA, US Bands made possible Cadets2, a Cadets drumline, a winter guard, and a significant local dance program (in addition to Cadets and an extensive US bands program). Without the money, there's no local. 

It was the new regime, not the old one, that thought running the Cadets as a solo operation was a good idea. In doing so, they abandoned the network, the connections and the money they needed. 

One last thought about "burned bridges." I know most of this site thinks only one person is responsible. I think that's wrong. In my many decades of drum corps travels, I came to realize that only Madison alumni can rival Cadets alumni for hard-headedness. No one person burned that bridge. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigW said:

But they had fun and were well fed. That’s all that matters right?  🫠

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I think this is backwards. Or part of it is. What makes BD unique isn't the local connections. It's the money. The bingo money makes BDB, BDC, etc., possible, which makes the local connections work. At YEA, US Bands made possible Cadets2, a Cadets drumline, a winter guard, and a significant local dance program (in addition to Cadets and an extensive US bands program). Without the money, there's no local. 

It was the new regime, not the old one, that thought running the Cadets as a solo operation was a good idea. In doing so, they abandoned the network, the connections and the money they needed. 

One last thought about "burned bridges." I know most of this site thinks only one person is responsible. I think that's wrong. In my many decades of drum corps travels, I came to realize that only Madison alumni can rival Cadets alumni for hard-headedness. No one person burned that bridge. 

Your ear worm for tonight…

5 hours ago, BigW said:

if it's who I think it was....well he didn't do well elsewhere

3 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

well the old regime killed off the indoor programs because they weren't "Cadet" enough. C2 survived as long as it did because of incredibly dedicated staff

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

and i agree on burned bridges. the rush to take over only made things worse, and led to some bad hires. I feel so bad for Scott....given time...man what he could have done

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if it's who I think it was....well he didn't do well elsewhere

Another person familiar with the situation said they were the "least deserving" of the 70 applicants. It's been literally a lifelong frustration for me, Jeff.  I might not have been the most charismatic or pretty candidate. But at least I have ethics, and it makes me bitter so see a lot of these folks who got hired over me getting arrested.

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well the old regime killed off the indoor programs because they weren't "Cadet" enough. C2 survived as long as it did because of incredibly dedicated staff

My perception was that they were nothing more them paying lip service to being "part of the community at large" from the get-go.