2023 Blue Stars - High Cam Semifinals Video

1 minute ago, corps8294 said:

Hopefully they can rebound from that 11th place finish. However, it's going to be tough. If they get their s**t together, I could see them beating the Troopers and Colts and that would put them back up to 9th. Aside from that, I can't imagine them climbing much higher. I don't think they will fall out of the Top 12, either. It would take quite a bit for the corps beneath them to knock them out. I'm going to guess 9th place, tops, or 11th place as the very least. 

One thing I really liked about olden days was that current year scores and placement didn’t seem to depend on previous years results (consider 27 from 73-75 — 7th, 20th, 4th).  IDK if it was the judges calling it as they saw it, or the construction of the sheets.  Or something else 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

One thing I really liked about olden days was that current year scores and placement didn’t seem to depend on previous years results (consider 27 from 73-75 — 7th, 20th, 4th).  IDK if it was the judges calling it as they saw it, or the construction of the sheets.  Or something else 

Has something changed in judging?  Are you saying in modern Drum Corps that previous years placement/scoring can be tied to the current year placement/scoring?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Has something changed in judging?  Are you saying in modern Drum Corps that previous years placement/scoring can be tied to the current year placement/scoring?  

IDK.  But you certainly don’t see the big placement fluctuations season to season as in the old days.  In 1980-81 SCV went from 7th to 1st.   Does anyone think that in 2024 Phantom can move to 1st (they were 7th in 2023)?   

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Better word
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’m not sure which, if any, of the shows that scored higher that I would place it above.   Perhaps Colts - I thought the concept was meh, but the visual & music was well written & executed. 

I'm a sucker for shows like this, celebrating the members and the activity. 

IDK.  But you certainly don’t see the big placement fluctuations season to season as in the old days.  In 1980-81 SCV went from 7th to 1st.   Does anyone think that in 2024 Phantom can move to 1st (they were 7th in 2023)?   

I think that's more because the skill level of the corps are much more evenly spread out with membership not restricted to locality like it used to be. 

Well if talent is evenly spread, why haven’t BD been beaten since 2018?   

More evenly, not totally even. BD's track record does attract a high level of experience and skill. 

16 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Hopefully they can rebound from that 11th place finish. However, it's going to be tough. If they get their s**t together, I could see them beating the Troopers and Colts and that would put them back up to 9th. Aside from that, I can't imagine them climbing much higher. I don't think they will fall out of the Top 12, either. It would take quite a bit for the corps beneath them to knock them out. I'm going to guess 9th place, tops, or 11th place at the very least. 

It is all about the show design. The talent level this year is high enough to take them 4-5 places higher than last year. I’m looking forward to a significant rebound in 2024. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

It is all about the show design. The talent level this year is high enough to take them 4-5 places higher than last year. I’m looking forward to a significant rebound in 2024. 

I've experienced that first hand. '96 Glassmen placed 13th with a popular but very flawed show. We placed 8th in '95 and '97, so the skill level was pretty consistent on the field throughout. 

• Like 1