Troopers guard

"Yelling works to motivate me," is still not strong enough evidence to convince most here that it is an effective educational strategy for youth. I pointed out why a few comments back.

And literally no one is arguing that yelling to be heard over distances is abuse.

To misuse the TAOS resource like it has been here means that posters didn't read the intro provided at that link about power imbalances. That's a key ingredient.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I've found that with the best instructors I've ever had, it's when they start talking quietly that they're at their most intense.  You REALLY listen to what they have to say then.  That was true for me even at boot camp which is mostly just screaming all the time.  When DI's got quiet...those were the most "oh s###" moments, lol.   

i was told when i got quiet and had a certain look on my face...then it was time to know #### was getting real.

43 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

How does one teach a guard of 30+ people without a microphone and not yell?

I don't know that yelling in and of itself is abusive, sometimes it's necessary so that your voice can carry to both sides of the field.

It's what is being yelled that makes it abuse or not. Even when corrective, yelling at the whole guard is one thing, singling individuals out and yelling at them in front of others is a WHOLE other thing.

thanks. this fits into my previous post a lot.

The point of a microphone is to not have to yell, actually.  And of course you have to raise your voice when talking to a large group spread out over a large space without amplification.  

Good instructors have it built in to where you automatically stfu (with your voice or your instrument) when they start talking.   Yelling/screaming to get attention of your students or to drive a point home means you're a bad instructor, period.

The boot camp thing I brought up earlier is a different discussion.  They're loud and scary to prepare you to immediately pay attention to your superiors and obey their instructions during the chaos of combat, or else you literally die.   

Edited by Lance
was being a jerk
  • Thanks 2