Troopers guard

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

After '76 we had 4 go to the Kilts, 3 go the Cavaliers, 1 oddball go Troopers (I kid, he was a life long Troopers fanatic). I stayed and instructed my last two years of marching eligibility. If I had it to do all over again, I would have probably gone to Phantom Regiment. Their upward trajectory was stronger than the others where friends went, plus they had Marty Hurley on Percussion. A hero of mine since his time with the New Orleans corps, so yeah, I would have been influenced by both the staff and chasing a ring. 

I don’t really have any regrets except i probably should have marched 1979.

I do know that there were a few brass players who I marched with that followed Tim Salzman out to SCV in 1981.  So it has been happening for a very long time. 

• Like 5

On 2/2/2024 at 1:52 PM, olddrummer34 said:

Also noticed that they Hired Jason Rob as a program coordinator who was, if Im not mistaken, at Madison Scouts last year. 

Revisiting this...

Screenshot-20230813-193519-Facebook.jpg

22 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

No, I really don't follow modern Drum Corps enough to pay much attention to staff moves.  I marched with and remained friends with both Ralph Hardimon and the late Tom Float, so I'm aware instructors can influence a young person's decision where to march.  I'm referring to people bouncing from corps to corps in chase of a particular instructor(s).  I don't think it serves a young person's best interest in the long run, and I didn't let any of mine do it (sports/schools) when I held decision making power.  I also believe there is value in loyalty and commitment and if times have changed that it is not a factor - that's a shame. 

Our son is returning to his corp specifically because he enjoys the staff which makes the marching experience way better.  He would follow them to a new corp because he would know they would instill the same values as they are instilling in his current corp.  The leaders you respect are ones you will follow as there are reasons they gained your respect.

For the part where you say " I didn't let any of mine do it (sports/schools) when I held decision making power".  If you are saying your children then I understand as that is within your right as a parent. 

If you are talking students that aren't your children then to say you wouldn't allow your students to do it when you held decision making power would be a problem.  If his High School directors even tried to interfere without any justified reason then they would have a very long talk with me and my wife about what level of influence and power they do and do not have over our child's choices and decisions, especially outside the commitments to the school.  We value their insight, but they DO NOT have the power to demand/dictate his choices.  It costs over $6K for most corps nowadays so kids have a right to make decisions they think will give them the most enjoyable experience.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, spacewill said:

Our son is returning to his corp specifically because he enjoys the staff which makes the marching experience way better.  He would follow them to a new corp because he would know they would instill the same values as they are instilling in his current corp.  The leaders you respect are ones you will follow as there are reasons they gained your respect.

For the part where you say " I didn't let any of mine do it (sports/schools) when I held decision making power".  If you are saying your children then I understand as that is within your right as a parent. 

If you are talking students that aren't your children then to say you wouldn't allow your students to do it when you held decision making power would be a problem.  If his High School directors even tried to interfere without any justified reason then they would have a very long talk with me and my wife about what level of influence and power they do and do not have over our child's choices and decisions, especially outside the commitments to the school.  We value their insight, but they DO NOT have the power to demand/dictate his choices.  It costs over $6K for most corps nowadays so kids have a right to make decisions they think will give them the most enjoyable experience.

Glad to hear your son is returning for another year - I bet it is going to be a great one!

15 hours ago, spacewill said:

Private school and club/team sports are expensive too. Even if I was a teacher or instructor, I would not think to place my values and edicts on other people's kids.  I'm speaking of my four kids.  They had no "rights" in terms of changing schools/teams to chase after a particular coach.  None of them liked it at the time, but as adults 3 out of 4 now understand why.  

On 2/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, olddrummer34 said:

Looks like Michael Lentz (from onyx) and his team are out at Troopers. This was an exciting off-season development for them and is quite the bummer. I wonder why it happened?

Also noticed that they Hired Jason Rob as a program coordinator who was, if Im not mistaken, at Madison Scouts last year. 

To be honest, it was kinda hard to imagine the Onyx style working on a football field anyway… And even harder to imagine their extremely organic design approach having to adjust and contend with the greater design needs of an entire corps. I think it’s probably better off this way. One doesn’t exactly sense from Lentz that he plays well with others — I say this as a fan of his work. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

To be honest, it was kinda hard to imagine the Onyx style working on a football field anyway… And even harder to imagine their extremely organic design approach having to adjust and contend with the greater design needs of an entire corps. I think it’s probably better off this way. One doesn’t exactly sense from Lentz that he plays well with others — I say this as a fan of his work. 

i had heard this as well, though i am not well versed enough in the guard world to know for sure. and LOL kinda glad i'm not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Private school and club/team sports are expensive too. Even if I was a teacher or instructor, I would not think to place my values and edicts on other people's kids.  I'm speaking of my four kids.  They had no "rights" in terms of changing schools/teams to chase after a particular coach.  None of them liked it at the time, but as adults 3 out of 4 now understand why.  

I can see that. 

I guess it just all depends on the coach/instructor and what values they are teaching.  I would have said 24 years ago when I started my career that I would not have allowed my kids to follow the staff, but now I have a more pragmatic approach and ask the "why"?  What or why do they want to follow them and if their convictions and thought process is well thought out then I would probably be okay with it.  There's a lesson to be learned both ways.  But at his age (under 18), I think him being around the right influence (especially instructors) is just as important as what the organization may define as their values.  So many variables given today's influences.

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

Glad to hear your son is returning for another year - I bet it is going to be a great one!

Thanks!  I think this year in DCI is going to be special all around. So many organizations had good years last year that they can really build on and many of them seem to be going in the right direction during the off season.  Gonna be another nail biter at the top and on the finals bubble!

• Like 1

The original news about Troop's guard prompted me to watch Onyx 2023, which was my winterguard show in at least 15 years.  Unreal design and performance to my ignorant eyes.  I was really looking forward to how it would look with Troopers, and I felt like it was a good stylistic matchup with what the Troopers did in 2023.  Did Lentz and his team provide any design, does anybody know?  Or would whoever takes over demand to start from scratch?