SCV Decades Project: 2003, Pathways

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Welcome to what we call the World of Dinos. Your membership card is in the mail along with a $1 off coupon for a bottle of Prevagen. 

43 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yeah, but there are dinos and there are Dinos.   She is in the Tyrannosaurus era, while some of us are in the Stegosaurus era.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Welcome to what we call the World of Dinos. Your membership card is in the mail along with a $1 off coupon for a bottle of Prevagen. 

At my retirement ceremony, My Sailors and Marines got me some Sea Bond, package of Depends, and the number for Colonial Penn. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

I was at Stanford in 2018. I was at that show sitting in the Vanguard section. It was wonderful seeing all the happy alumni after them beating BD for the first time since 2007. Such a long draught. I knew that night they were going to be champions. That show was unbeatable. 

I happened to be staying in what I think was the SCV hotel, unofficial or official, in 2018, and happy doesn’t begin to describe the alum in the hotel bar after finals. They had made such a strong charge in 2017, and it was wonderful to see that corps and the show in 2018 recognized with a gold medal. It was pretty undeniable out of the gate at Stanford, even if BD won a few early season matchups. I got to see them twice in Texas that summer and it was pretty clear by then no one was catching SCV.

I really appreciate this thread. I hadn’t known “Pathways”, and it is great to discover it belatedly and hear and read the perspectives of those inside and outside of the show. Thanks to all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

The amount of money these corps spend to stay at the top is not sustainable, and Vanguard and Cadets are proof of that. This is just the beginning.

While I don't disagree that revenues are not keeping up with expenses as much as they need to for sustainability, the examples of those two specific corps don't underscore your point. Vanguard got into trouble not because they ran out of money,  but because they had absolutely no internal financial controls or experienced managers running the operation. The stories they were self-reporting of how they overspent in 2022 were just plain weird. Financially they could have put a corps out in 2023 and not broken a sweat.

Cadets are fighting a lawsuit which was sucking up all of their available funding. Spirit is also battling a suit, but doesn't appear to be having problems recruiting and putting a corps on the field.  Surprisingly, the majority of WC corps are in acceptable financial condition, if you look thru financials.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I happened to be staying in what I think was the SCV hotel, unofficial or official, in 2018, and happy doesn’t begin to describe the alum in the hotel bar after finals. They had made such a strong charge in 2017, and it was wonderful to see that corps and the show in 2018 recognized with a gold medal. It was pretty undeniable out of the gate at Stanford, even if BD won a few early season matchups. I got to see them twice in Texas that summer and it was pretty clear by then no one was catching SCV.

I really appreciate this thread. I hadn’t known “Pathways”, and it is great to discover it belatedly and hear and read the perspectives of those inside and outside of the show. Thanks to all!

Saw Babylon in San Bernardino. I knew they were winning it all at that moment. Right after the show, my mindset shifted to rooting on SCV for the gold and keeping the DCI Champion in California, and rooting on BD to keep their top two placement intact. 

• Like 1

This little ghost has stories of both 03 and 18. As well as seasons in between, before, and after.

All of them weave a very complicated narrative of my beloved corps that many alum seem to refuse to listen to at this point, at least without making it worse.

I genuinely believe that the new CEO is doing what he can to mend fences that never should've been necessary between alum, but now very much are. Godspeed to him. He's only one man.

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

While I don't disagree that revenues are not keeping up with expenses as much as they need to for sustainability, the examples of those two specific corps don't underscore your point. Vanguard got into trouble not because they ran out of money,  but because they had absolutely no internal financial controls or experienced managers running the operation. The stories they were self-reporting of how they overspent in 2022 were just plain weird. Financially they could have put a corps out in 2023 and not broken a sweat.

Cadets are fighting a lawsuit which was sucking up all of their available funding. Spirit is also battling a suit, but doesn't appear to be having problems recruiting and putting a corps on the field.  Surprisingly, the majority of WC corps are in acceptable financial condition, if you look thru financials.

Cadets lawsuit is way farther along in process than SoA/DCI lawsuit - many billable hours have been spent.  

20 hours ago, lawdn said:

Pathways, Scheherazade, and Babylon are getting major love in this thread as they should. 

But can we take a second to give some love to Ouroboros? My goodness what a show! And that ballad!!!!!!!!

After 1988 SCV, Ouroboros might be my favorite SCV show of all time.

• Like 1

Ouroboros' ballad was a masterpiece in ephemeral 

• Like 2

Ok.  Just rewatched that show and heck yes. A few other things my eye and ear sees in retrospect.

1. They were carrying through some of the musical things they'd done in previous shows such as the theremin from 2015.

2. They were testing some of the things they'd do with great effect the next year, soloists listening clear across the field to form a duet. 

3. That. Flag. Feature.   

• Like 4