A history of DCI judging and scoring, and the movement away from music emphasis

46 minutes ago, BG984 said:

I actually caused a bit of a stir at a judge's conference.  The visual "guru" running things stated, "the judge must discern and determine what is "truly effective"".   My hand went up..."yes"......"truly effective.....to WHOM.....to me as a judge, or to the thousands of paid fans in the stands".  There was silence in the room, and the "guru" changed the subject within seconds.......

So if I pay money to attend to a drum corps show, I should have a say in the outcome of the competition?

brb.  Getting my movie stub collection to go collect some Oscars.

I mean, I get that the creative collective is motivated by who buys tickets to be entertained by their productions.  But never have I had illusions that that I had a say in the 'outcome' of what determines 'excellence' in film beyond a right to spout my own 2¢ for people to ignore.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

brb.  Getting my movie stub collection to go collect some Oscars.

I mean, I get that the creative collective is motivated by who buys tickets to be entertained by their productions.  But never have I had illusions that that I had a say in the 'outcome' of what determines 'excellence' in film beyond a right to spout my own 2¢ for people to ignore.

As a paying customer, I nominate the coolest, yet most ridiculous and chessiest 80s movie of all time "Iron Eagle" for an Oscar. 

8 hours ago, BG984 said:

I actually caused a bit of a stir at a judge's conference.  The visual "guru" running things stated, "the judge must discern and determine what is "truly effective"".   My hand went up..."yes"......"truly effective.....to WHOM.....to me as a judge, or to the thousands of paid fans in the stands".  There was silence in the room, and the "guru" changed the subject within seconds.......

i asked that at a cinic Cesario was running. his reply was "the judge needs to react like a fan"

8 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

So if I pay money to attend to a drum corps show, I should have a say in the outcome of the competition?

That seems a bit of a stretch. Would you expect that for a baseball game?

I understand the notion though, and there have been "applause meter" shows in the past. The corps, for the most part, found these rather unsatisfying.

33 minutes ago, ironlips said:

That seems a bit of a stretch. Would you expect that for a baseball game?

I understand the notion though, and there have been "applause meter" shows in the past. The corps, for the most part, found these rather unsatisfying.

That's the point. I think it's stupid for fans to have a say in the outcome.  

12 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Not exactly, but I do feel that audience response (and it is on the current sheets as "engagement") should be considered when judging effect...........I think that if a corps "brings the house down" at the end, with multiple standing ovations during their program, and another gets "golf applause", and a politely forced standing ovation only at the end, that perhaps the second group should not win effect..............

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

That's the point. I think it's stupid for fans to have a say in the outcome.  

Then there should not be an effect caption, or it should be called "judge effect", as the audience reaction to the program is meaningless.....

1 hour ago, BG984 said:

Not exactly, but I do feel that audience response (and it is on the current sheets as "engagement") should be considered when judging effect...........I think that if a corps "brings the house down" at the end, with multiple standing ovations during their program, and another gets "golf applause", and a politely forced standing ovation only at the end, that perhaps the second group should not win effect..............

And over the last ten years dating back to 2014, what corps won with a "golf applause", because I can't think of one.