A history of DCI judging and scoring, and the movement away from music emphasis

Irony seeing the posts about 1960s AL and VFW shows and discussion about changes in scoring priorities. Today discussion is going from musical to visual. In the 1960s it was trying to go from marching to more musical.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m almost at the top of 139 now. A couple of rows behind @Jurassic Lancer last year. I can’t sit down there anymore. I’d like to keep what hearing I still have left. 😂 

Huh?

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m almost at the top of 139 now. A couple of rows behind @Jurassic Lancer last year. I can’t sit down there anymore. I’d like to keep what hearing I still have left. 😂 

The Blast Zone won't be the same without you and Jim.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have to sit down there to cover up the ringing in my ears from years of drumming without protection. 🤷‍♂️😁 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 6:53 PM, Terri Schehr said:

We’ll be 244 this year, just for semis, cheering for BC.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 7:41 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Irony seeing the posts about 1960s AL and VFW shows and discussion about changes in scoring priorities. Today discussion is going from musical to visual. In the 1960s it was trying to go from marching to more musical.

There was some serious pushback and struggles on those issues, for those not familiar. It's even beyond the music versus visual tussle when it comes to the inspections. I know the one story told to me from one of the posters on this thread about the AL people trying to deduct over haircuts worn by guys on currently active service in the Army- if their hair length was passing muster by the actual army... what's the beef? Seen other posters who went through it feeling the deductions were rather arbitrary and smacked of favoritism.

Then you had the issue with the rules where all music had to be performed within a specific range of beats per minute or get penalized. The problem was that a lot of the arrangers wanted to actually try and create more musical performances. It's no wonder that the Senior/All-Age community split from the Legion, and that the Combine/DCI split from the VFW. I know there were other more serious issues at hand but things like that pushed the split.

Even in the 50s and 60s, people were trying to expand musical boundaries and conventions in the activity. Whether some folks like it or not, it's been an institutional progression because of that ethos.

I've been meaning to bring this up as well, and Jeff might have answers and clarification:

IIRC when DCI released the new placemats pre-covid, they had them up for public viewing, and I remember the one very strong implication on those placemats was that innovation was to be rewarded as a priority. If someone was pushing the envelope, coming up with new ideas, and it was good material, it was to be rewarded higher than someone less innovative. If the judge is being asked to do that- there you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

There was some serious pushback and struggles on those issues, for those not familiar. It's even beyond the music versus visual tussle when it comes to the inspections. I know the one story told to me from one of the posters on this thread about the AL people trying to deduct over haircuts worn by guys on currently active service in the Army- if their hair length was passing muster by the actual army... what's the beef? Seen other posters who went through it feeling the deductions were rather arbitrary and smacked of favoritism.

Then you had the issue with the rules where all music had to be performed within a specific range of beats per minute or get penalized. The problem was that a lot of the arrangers wanted to actually try and create more musical performances. It's no wonder that the Senior/All-Age community split from the Legion, and that the Combine/DCI split from the VFW. I know there were other more serious issues at hand but things like that pushed the split.

Even in the 50s and 60s, people were trying to expand musical boundaries and conventions in the activity. Whether some folks like it or not, it's been an institutional progression because of that ethos.

I've been meaning to bring this up as well, and Jeff might have answers and clarification:

IIRC when DCI released the new placemats pre-covid, they had them up for public viewing, and I remember the one very strong implication on those placemats was that innovation was to be rewarded as a priority. If someone was pushing the envelope, coming up with new ideas, and it was good material, it was to be rewarded higher than someone less innovative. If the judge is being asked to do that- there you go.

i don't remember that being an emphasis at all. 

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't remember that being an emphasis at all. 

I swear that there were repeated statements that innovation was to be taken under heavy consideration in the evaluation. To hit the top box, there had to be State of the Art, cutting edge elements in the program.

I've been thinking about that whole concept and how it's affected the activity as a whole in one way, but work calls.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

I swear that there were repeated statements that innovation was to be taken under heavy consideration in the evaluation. To hit the top box, there had to be State of the Art, cutting edge elements in the program.

I've been thinking about that whole concept and how it's affected the activity as a whole in one way, but work calls.

sets new standards was on the WGI sheets for years. i can see why it would be on there...if you're getting 9.8 or above in book, yeah it should be consideration. but not the sole determining factor

On 4/4/2024 at 4:59 PM, Jeff Ream said:

sets new standards was on the WGI sheets for years. i can see why it would be on there...if you're getting 9.8 or above in book, yeah it should be consideration. but not the sole determining factor

Nothing should be a sole determining factor. Definitely agreed. With certain groups- it's a Seperator, especially at the sharp end of the stick in DCI.

That whole thing can also be risky. Trying to set new standards can also fail in a really miserable way, This I Believe. :innocent: