A history of DCI judging and scoring, and the movement away from music emphasis

Well as long as a visual judge doesn't give a max score after someone falls down, I'm happy. 

7 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Well as long as a visual judge doesn't give a max score after someone falls down, I'm happy. 

See Cavies 02

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BigW said:

Nothing should be a sole determining factor. Definitely agreed. With certain groups- it's a Seperator, especially at the sharp end of the stick in DCI.

That whole thing can also be risky. Trying to set new standards can also fail in a really miserable way, This I Believe. :innocent:

And I believe that it really hasn’t called a show

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And I believe that it really hasn’t called a show

The hunch here is you're right. I don't know if anyone's ever did a statistical analysis of, say, that if Crown's percussions scores would be more in line with their other captions, what difference might that have made at Finals. Even though Effect has a lot of weight, if there are no real large gaps and spreads and other captions have them...

4 minutes ago, TOC said:

GE Visual and Visual Guard had 20 in finals.  So, who fell or dropped equipment?  

I don't remember anyone falling. But I do remember during the "Fight Club" drum break, the Guard was lifting a guy into the air, and I don't think they had a good grip, there was a little slip as they didn't get him fully extended into the air. 

But personally I don't think they should have been dinged in score, because it was a good recovery. And multiple people on this site have told me it's not about the mistake, it's how you recover. 

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

But personally I don't think they should have been dinged in score, because it was a good recovery. And multiple people on this site have told me it's not about the mistake, it's how you recover. 

During a Cadets closer one year, two brass members on the left side went down and recovered quickly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

See Cavies 02

I saw someone from that corp fall in Buffalo because we were in a baseball stadium and they still had the mound up

12 hours ago, TOC said:

GE Visual and Visual Guard had 20 in finals.  So, who fell or dropped equipment?  

They dropped a weapons member trying to hold them 

10 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I saw someone from that corp fall in Buffalo because we were in a baseball stadium and they still had the mound up

I see no record of 2002 Cavaliers competing in Buffalo.