Ten Year Anniversary Of Felliniesque

On 3/22/2024 at 11:04 AM, lawdn said:

You weren’t in Indy in 2013 IIRC. My first finals experience. I was pretty stunned by the dislike for BD, but I guess it was manifested by silence instead of booing so that’s a win for civility? Of course, a dark, edgy, jazz-based show performed at a high level was right up my alley even if it had some clear design flaws.There were a number of shows I didn’t care for that year but I was jazzed to be there and stood and cheered after every show. To each their own. I do geek out on trying to understand and embrace the concept of each show on its own terms. I almost always get there but not always.

And both you and @Chief Guns are cool 😎, but he is a phenomenon of cool 😂 

no i wasn't. the dome left me very displeased with the sound, plus we had a baby in 2012, so hopping off to finals wasn't a way to keep family tensions in check. thought about it during teething tho LOL!

however my take in 13 seeing them in Allentown was more people pulling for Crown and honestly just wanting someone new. 

and i'm 90 BD cool. 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 8:27 PM, Jeff Ream said:

however my take in 13 seeing them in Allentown was more people pulling for Crown and honestly just wanting someone new. 

BD fatigue is probably top five biggest reasons for the hatred they receive. 

And it's not a BD thing, it's anyone who has figured out the championship formula to consistently stay on top. 

Society in general doesn't like dynasties...........unless it's the team/corps/player you root for lol. 

I remember after the 2006 season, and hearing some people groaning about the Cavies winning again and wanting to see a new winner. Now it was nowhere near BD level of hate, not even in the same realm, but some were talking. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

BD fatigue is probably top five biggest reasons for the hatred they receive. 

And it's not a BD thing, it's anyone who has figured out the championship formula to consistently stay on top. 

Society in general doesn't like dynasties...........unless it's the team/corps/player you root for lol. 

I remember after the 2006 season, and hearing some people groaning about the Cavies winning again and wanting to see a new winner. Now it was nowhere near BD level of hate, not even in the same realm, but some were talking. 

that and from 08-13 the shows were generally unpopular

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that and from 08-13 the shows were generally unpopular

That's fair. But let me ask you this. Do you think BD fatigue at the very least plays a factor in the hatred they receive?

Example..........

In an alternate universe, let's say BD has zero titles. Then going into 2010 they are in the running to win their first title ever, and they do the "Thru A Glass Darkly" show.

With no titles or BD dominance to speak of, do you think the 2010 show would be better received? Or do you think it gets the same exact response?

• Like 1

Fellinieque is without doubt the best performed show I've ever seen. It's pretty darn entertaining too. It may not be my most favorite entertaining show but in terms of overall performance it is the BEST I've ever seen from a drum corps. From the wicked opening fanfare to the gorgeous ballad, the carnival-like music, to the grand closer the entire music book was a masterpiece by Wayne Downey in his final year arranging for the A corps. The percussion writing to Wayne's arrangements is just stellar. The visual program and the guard design...I mean it's all just brilliantly done and performed. 

With DCI continuing to move toward shortened seasons I am not sure we will ever see something this polished again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

That's fair. But let me ask you this. Do you think BD fatigue at the very least plays a factor in the hatred they receive?

Example..........

In an alternate universe, let's say BD has zero titles. Then going into 2010 they are in the running to win their first title ever, and they do the "Thru A Glass Darkly" show.

With no titles or BD dominance to speak of, do you think the 2010 show would be better received? Or do you think it gets the same exact response?

Not sure it would have been better received, but probably less talked about at the time. I also wouldn’t lump all of 08-13 into one basket, some were better received than others from what I experienced being around the corps a lot some of those seasons.

But as they say, some things do get better with age. A few of those shows are looked at much more favorably now than they were then.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Example..........

some. but Cavies fatigue in the 00's and even Cadets fatigue in the 80's were tempered by the shows mostly well received.

and no i dont think 2010 would have been better received in any shape or form as at that point, BD only had their 3rd in 4 years

26 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Not sure it would have been better received, but probably less talked about at the time. I also wouldn’t lump all of 08-13 into one basket, some were better received than others from what I experienced being around the corps a lot some of those seasons.

But as they say, some things do get better with age. A few of those shows are looked at much more favorably now than they were then.

That is a fact. 2011 is gets a lot of love on this forum over the last several years. But during that 2011 season.......wow, the hatred was real.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

That is a fact. 2011 is gets a lot of love on this forum over the last several years. But during that 2011 season.......wow, the hatred was real.

i thought it always got musical love. not so much visual

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i thought it always got musical love. not so much visual

I don't remember it getting any love LMAO. 

Besides during that 2011 season, I was too busy protecting the western front for us BD fans ensuring we didn't get out-flanked by the ABBD crowd lol. So you may be correct. 

• Haha 1