Cadets and bankruptcy

50 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yes it's says historical items will be given to Marching Pageantry Arts Museum with approval of the bankruptcy trustee. I guess he/she has to determine if they have any value.  

I know my kids’ hockey trophies are doing a good job holding up the power cord to my treadmill in the basement just in case we get water down there. Otherwise their value may be $0.50 give or take. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

There's no chance anyone would be silly enough to touch anything Cadets related for the foreseeable future. The brand is dead.  Their members have hopefully all found new homes for this season. What was the most likely conclusion 6 years ago when the GH stories started breaking has come to pass, despite the best efforts of the CAE org.

Life goes on.

You're right  " life goes on "  With that said, you  are probably right BUT I would never say never about the Cadets. It's not like they haven't survived before. Yes, this is a big one hard to bounce back from and YES there are circumstances that could make it nearly impossible ( unfortunately ) but this corps on a shoe string survived the upheaval from Holy Name to Garfield Cadets and  many other times in their history. Of course this is different but this corps also survived when the murder of a drum major happened BITD. Many said they were done then . Should they survive, can they survive, deserve to survive? Others can debate that. Count them out as done forever? I wouldn't be so sure of that. Not the same of course but many thought just recently that SCV wouldn't return, let alone so fast. I'm hopeful 

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I know my kids’ hockey trophies are doing a good job holding up the power cord to my treadmill in the basement just in case we get water down there. Otherwise their value may be $0.50 give or take. 

lol...I hear ya. I gave away a lot to members. The WGI medal trophies included..lol

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

With that said, you  are probably right BUT I would never say never about the Cadets. It's not like they haven't survived before. Yes, this is a big one hard to bounce back from and YES there are circumstances that could make it nearly impossible ....

What would be the point? Anyone attempting to say that their organization shares any DNA (or tries to claim they share that DNA) will have a massive target on their backs from the day they announce. Nothing called "Cadets", nothing referencing the Garfield/BergenCounty/YEA/CAE Cadets, no uniform designed to mimic the Cadets traditional uniform, no efforts of any kind to draw a connection between the "new" corps and The Cadets would be considered safe, and you'd likely find no individuals who know anything who'd be willing to serve as Board members for a corps that is "The Cadets But Not The Cadets."

Consummatum est. May their memory be a blessing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

What would be the point? Anyone attempting to say that their organization shares any DNA (or tries to claim they share that DNA) will have a massive target on their backs from the day they announce. Nothing called "Cadets", nothing referencing the Garfield/BergenCounty/YEA/CAE Cadets, no uniform designed to mimic the Cadets traditional uniform, no efforts of any kind to draw a connection between the "new" corps and The Cadets would be considered safe, and you'd likely find no individuals who know anything who'd be willing to serve as Board members for a corps that is "The Cadets But Not The Cadets."

Consummatum est. May their memory be a blessing.

You don;t have to look far to know people have short memories. All you have to do is turn on cable news to view that from all sides. the short memories

Didn't people say when all this started with GH that they would never come out? Parents wouldn't let kids march? who would work there? well none of that happened and had pretty competitive years as well as top 5 last year.

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Should they survive, can they survive, deserve to survive? Others can debate that. Count them out as done forever? I wouldn't be so sure of that. Not the same of course but many thought just recently that SCV wouldn't return, let alone so fast. I'm hopeful 

Perhaps those alum/community members that want to revive it could consider the wishes of the survivors first?

• Like 2

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Perhaps those alum/community members that want to revive it could consider the wishes of the survivors first?

If they did and not correct things, make it better , apply today's standards to today, we literally could do away with every corps. Heck we could do away with churches, civic groups, Scouts so on and so on. Should we pay for the sins of our parents or prove it stopped with them. Just a thought.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You don;t have to look far to know people have short memories.

I wouldn't consider 40 years "a short memory." 

There are no doubt several other individuals who could be encouraged to file claims against the "Not Cadets", since the new organization would be attempting to use the reputation of the old corps to their advantage, which outside eyes could rightly see as an attempt to pretend like they're not selling the same product. 

Not sure who would be willing to put any money or effort into a risky venture when there are much safer ways to give back to the activity. Support Jersey Surf or any of the other smaller east coast corps, and help build them up. Cadets are a movie whose end credits have already rolled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

I wouldn't consider 40 years "a short memory." 

There are no doubt several other individuals who could be encouraged to file claims against the "Not Cadets", since the new organization would be attempting to use the reputation of the old corps to their advantage, which outside eyes could rightly see as an attempt to pretend like they're not selling the same product. 

Not sure who would be willing to put any money or effort into a risky venture when there are much safer ways to give back to the activity. Support Jersey Surf or any of the other smaller east coast corps, and help build them up. Cadets are a movie whose end credits have already rolled.

Well respectfully understand what you are saying.

There is actually, theoretically, the tiniest of windows possible for the corps to come back at some point.

The bankruptcy does not end the case.  Just because the judge won't let them out as a Defendant doesn't mean they have been "found liable" so to speak for the past transgressions of the corps specifically as a legal standard going forward.  CAE could still technically prevail on this particular case and incident and be found not liable for it.  If the basis of that decision, as a judicial order takes it a step further specifically on the record declaring that they are not liable for the former orgs in any way, an astronomically against the odds revival has a possibility in the future.

That said, I highly doubt that's how it would go.  Far more likely that any CAE win would just find them not liable for the incident alone (there are decent arguments to be made here outside the legacy question).  It's even less likely I think that this thing ever makes it to a trial so such a thing could even occur.

So - it's still theoretically possible, sure.  Exceedingly slim chance IMO.

Edited by FormerXyloWhiz
  • Like 1