What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

I'm interested in hearing what everyone's favorite horn lick, rip, riff, show-off...whatever you want to call it.  Post it here and see if there's some the others never noticed.

My single favorite is from the end of Regiment's 1989 show when the sopranos restate the theme from the beginning of the finale.  They're standing in a diagonal line with the low brass marching directly toward them.  Then the full hornline blows the stadium apart.  I love that.

Michael Oldemeyer

BOOOOIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG! :huh: b**bs

Hearing ya loud and clear Ern...dont forget about the sop feature in the closer in 96 either B)

My favorites

90 Star... I got two... The low brass hit at the end of the opener, and the mello runs after the drum feature building into that cool drill move.

79 Spirit (I think) - The melo solo in Higher and Higher, dang that was loud.

84 Spirit(Again, I think) - Hunters solo in Blues in the Night.

97 Blue Devils- The soprano feature right after the sop quartet, that added the rest of the corps..... I went "Uhhh, god D_M!" ,the first time I saw it.

98 Colts - The Closer.

99 Colts - The Closer...... Chuck writes some cool s###.

All for now,

Shannon Jeffreys

Blue Stars 97

heres some more of my favorites....

BD 91...the mello licks that go on for about the last 20 seconds or so are great!

SCV 91...the mello runs at the end of the opener, i love the way they fit in with the rest of the horn book

Star 90...at the end of the opener, and at the end of the show, there are similar mellophone licks that both just kick ###!

• 4 years later...

super bump.

05 Cavaliers. The mello runs on top of the ladders were sick. Top that off with the high, unison vii to I resolution and ya, sweetness.

04 Cavaliers. The Live and Let Die tag was sweet. Then that trill at the very end was crazy. What was it? Like high D/Eb trill for like 6-8 counts? That's on hell of a thing to finish a show on, or even that very demaning final section of drill.

1977 (or was it 1978?) Reading Buccaneers end of show, playing "Firebird" finale. Corps coming to the stands in a front and the lead sops hit a 20 count double high F, while the rest of the hornline plays the chromatic lines underneath.

Goosebumps!!

• 3 months later...
Does all of Russian Christmas Music (SCV 87) count?

Yes.