I'm glad the the Bridgemen got DQed in 77

Nobody was going to beat BD that year I agree (77) Ive said before it looked you guys were on cruise control all season. Not as exciting as you could have been I think, but no doubt as to who had the repertoire, hornline, drumline and drill. And of course much of it was the 2nd straight year you performed it.  You pretty much had it locked at Stillwater (late June)

yup......Channel One was a carryover that we could perform on "cruise control" due to the fact that the majority of the corps performed it in '76 as well.

One "tag" that was bestowed upon us throughout '76 and '77 was most definitely "robotic", but we always took that as a compliment. :;'

Yeah, you were the Borg before they existed! :P

Yeah, you were the Borg before they existed! :P

lol....I thought we were more like the "Connors" (bad boys)............... :rolleyes:

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

Did you guys ever see the dead rise from the grave?-it just might happen-

hey, maybe Jimmy Hoffa will join us too! B)

• 7 years later...

It’s funny, I was never a big Bridgemen fan when they marched. I thought they were talented, but found most of their shows too busy. As I look back nostalgically, I have more of a soft spot for them and can be amazed at what they did on the field, but when I watch the 1977 DCI performance on DVD, I have somewhat mixed feelings. I see a bit of determination that no one will stop them, the kind of grit any drum corps fan has to admire and they will not be another Muchachos, but there is a sadness to the show and for the Bridgemen, it’s only a shell of what they could do. I also feel sorry for the 126 members who were not 22 and had to suffer the consequences of ill-advised and questionable decisions by management. To the comment at hand about why they fielded the two people who “aged out early”, the Bridgemen was one of the first corps to have all members, including returning members audition for spots, and if I remember the stories correctly, many of the returning St. Andrew’s members did not have a spot in the 1976 Bridgemen and went to march with other East Coast corps. Probably the two members who would have turned 22 were better than the two replacements. As far as politics are concerned, I’m not sure that was at play, rules are rules, but I’m also willing to bet not too many tears were shed by DCI directors or by the BD, PR, SCV, 27th, or Madison.

OK, I'm trying to piece this together:

So far, it has been said by the Bridgemen side in another post (Topic: 1977 Bridgemen, i was curious and found out about the DQ, page 2, posted by gmanbay41) that they did indeed have two members marching in the corps who would have turned 22 during the 1977 season. But (and maybe I'm reading this wrong), they never intended to have them actually march past their 22nd birthday, which I'm assuming took place sometime before DCI Finals. They had two other people with them who were ready to take their place once they turned 22. At the DCI Midwest show, those two "overaged" people were pulled from the show and the corps performed with 2 blanks.

Here's where I start getting curious...I'm not sure if those two "overaged" people remained with the corps and didn't march anymore, or if the other two people filled their spots immediately, or what. That has never been specified, and it's kind of important to the rest of the story.

Then the corps gets to Denver for Nationals and they are told they won't be allowed to perform because they marched two overaged members during the season. And somehow, DCI is the one who didn't handle this correctly? My question is...why were the Bridgemen marching two people during the season who they knew were going to turn 22 before Finals in the first place??? If that's indeed what they did, then I have no sympathy for them, no matter how much I love the corps and their show. This is sheer stupidity in action, and they would have no one to blame but themselves for putting their corps and their members in this position to be questioned.

I'm most likely going to get skewered for this, but until that question can be answered, that's my position on the matter.

..., add to that the fact that the best drumline didn't even make finals...

Yup. *sigh*

Edited by byline

OK, I'm trying to piece this together:

So far, it has been said by the Bridgemen side in another post (Topic: 1977 Bridgemen, i was curious and found out about the DQ, page 2, posted by gmanbay41) that they did indeed have two members marching in the corps who would have turned 22 during the 1977 season. But (and maybe I'm reading this wrong), they never intended to have them actually march past their 22nd birthday, which I'm assuming took place sometime before DCI Finals. They had two other people with them who were ready to take their place once they turned 22. At the DCI Midwest show, those two "overaged" people were pulled from the show and the corps performed with 2 blanks.

Here's where I start getting curious...I'm not sure if those two "overaged" people remained with the corps and didn't march anymore, or if the other two people filled their spots immediately, or what. That has never been specified, and it's kind of important to the rest of the story.

Then the corps gets to Denver for Nationals and they are told they won't be allowed to perform because they marched two overaged members during the season. And somehow, DCI is the one who didn't handle this correctly? My question is...why were the Bridgemen marching two people during the season who they knew were going to turn 22 before Finals in the first place??? If that's indeed what they did, then I have no sympathy for them, no matter how much I love the corps and their show. This is sheer stupidity in action, and they would have no one to blame but themselves for putting their corps and their members in this position to be questioned.

I'm most likely going to get skewered for this, but until that question can be answered, that's my position on the matter.

What would be interesting is if someone (anyone?) could come up with a copy of the rules that were in affect for the 1977 season. Was it that difficult to interpret?

Sounds like a nice little project for Byline :smile:

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Really people? Come on now!

Edited by Soprano Martin

For the record, the only reason I started this post was to say how much I enjoy 77 Garfield, not to bash on the Bridgemen.

1977 Garfield: Great horn line, shaky drum line, terrific show! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about the 77 Garfield Cadets. I believe that if they didnt sing amen at the end of their show,that we would have beat them and made finals. I believe from back then that they received a penalty for singing but made up for it in general effect. I also believe that had we beat them and made finals that the Kingsmen would have been around alot longer. You cant change the past and you have to live with it. Neadless to say i came so close to making finals. Ugh.

Thomas Salvatore