Spirit hornline, 1979, 1980

The first Drum Corps show I ever saw was 1980 Finals in B'ham. Two things really stuck with me over the years:

1) The Bridgemen were having more fun than humans should be allowed (and I wanted to help!) ^0^ b**bs

2) Spirit was UNBELIEVABLE! Definitely a palpable wall of sound. Like, if sound were water, and I was in a giant wave pool! At the end, when they turned back towards the pressbox in a company front and belted out "Let It Be Me" - Man, I'm getting goosebumps just remembering it! :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMAGINE THIS:

You're sitting in fron of your home theater system, turn ALL the speakers towards you and CRANK IT UP!!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

Oh, one more thing, don't where any ear plugs. Sit back and enjoy!!!! b**bs

Remember, they didn't NEED ampifiers back then like some corps do NOW!!!!

:lol:

I was able to see Spirit in 79 & 80 at the Drum Beauty shows in Stillwater, MN. After seeing them for the 1st time in '78, and having them nearly blow the stands down, I couldn't wait for their shows.

'79 had the traditional "Georgia" intro, and I can not describe what pure sound is, considering that this was the first year that they had a full line of 2 valve KING horns.  Suffice it to say they had by far the biggest sound I had heard.  Intonation and pitch were unlike other lines except BD and maybe Madison (FYI - Madison's '79 show was the one that nobody gave real credit to-new sound, and incredibly technical, "not typical Madison")

Pat

They also staged themselves close to the front sideline for max effect! They were ear bleedingly loud tho, no doubt about it. You are completely correct about Madison that year as well. Cause of the placing drop from 78 (4th) to 79 (8th), that show, Ray Baumgarts last has often been overlooked. The book was great! And the hornline was pretty close to Spirits in power!

First and foremost, I am not trying to belittle you, or the memory of that emotional night on July 19th, 1980 at our home show Precision West, but PLEASE can we get the facts right? This is the 2nd time I have seen you reference to this, and you have two different scenarios within 45 min of one another, here are excerpt from these posts:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there two different people posting under this name? Maybe you can enlighten me how you could changes the facts within 45 min of each post. Being that I was there that night, and also having the video that BD sold "Blue Devils 1974-1980" which in fact recorded the ENTIRE tribute from beginning to end, I don't recall any mention of any members from Spirit being there.

More clarification from the Spirit website (http://www.spiritdrumcorps.org/1980/)

If I am out of line here, then I apologize, but I find it hard to believe that your memory could change in 45 min, maybe just enough to gain some personal notoriety?

personal notoriety.....?????

Sorry Legend. It's been a long while since I've thought about that event and I did get the year wrong. I wasn't sure myself and looked up the info.

I thought that Spirit had played with us, but I think you're right. They were not there. It amazes me that you guys can remember everything with such clarity. I can't. Megaprops, though.  :lol:

I feel I have the same problem....I just cannot pinpoint certain events. What I do remember is a show in Iowa (could be Nebraska, or even Hollywood) after the Sprit hoenline beat us in horns, we applauded them as they left the field during retreat...or maybe as they passed the stands,...or maybe in a dream,..or maybe in another life...LOL!

Um, Phil, I think he means an arc...you know...an arched line?

I don't know, though, from the stories I read about some of the corps buses, some of them were as old as an ark...Noah's Ark!

:lol:

Well true, But we did have a very old bus. :)

I marched Baritone for The Blue Devils in 1979, but I have never forgotten the rich, distinctively Southern sound of the Spirit hornline, and how it sent goose bumps down my back whenever we marched by your warm-ups and the immense wall of sound you blew our way. The competition to me was secondary to the excitement of seeing an up and coming corps, send tremors through the ranks and files of the usual heavies in the summer of 79. It was amazing to me how quickly the news of Spirit's victory at the Jacksonville, Alabama show spread through the Blue Devils camp. We knew we had strong competition ahead, and not from Santa Clara or Madison. I was one of the many Blue Devil horns who cheered for the Spirit hornline the night they beat our hornline in Sioux City, Iowa. After all, it was a pleasure to hear your shows always. You cats were the heaviest that summer of 1979, and it would not have surprised me if ya'll would have took home the title that night in Birmingham, where we met and partyed with Maynard Ferguson!!!

I marched Baritone for The Blue Devils in 1979, but I have never forgotten the rich, distinctively Southern sound of the Spirit hornline, and how it sent goose bumps down my back whenever we marched by your warm-ups and the immense wall of sound you blew our way. The competition to me was secondary to the excitement of seeing an up and coming corps, send tremors through the ranks and files of the usual heavies in the summer of 79. It was amazing to me how quickly the news of Spirit's victory at the Jacksonville, Alabama show spread through the Blue Devils camp. We knew we had strong competition ahead, and not from Santa Clara or Madison. I was one of the many Blue Devil horns who cheered for the Spirit hornline the night they beat our hornline in Sioux City, Iowa. After all, it was a pleasure to hear your shows always. You cats were the heaviest that summer of 1979, and it would not have surprised me if ya'll would have took home the title that night in Birmingham, where we met and partyed with Maynard Ferguson!!!

That was very nice of you. We loved the Blue Devils as well. The Horns for both were amazing. I always loved hearing your show. I still download B.D today to get a listen to 79. BRAVO

• 2 years later...
rumor has it they broke a window in a judges booth with that wall of sound of theirs.

Urban Myth? stated fact? anyone know?

I've heard some varying stories on it. For sure, I do know (from the mouth of Jim Clark) that the story as we hear it today and on this thread ("press box"..etc) is in fact an "urban myth".

But...there is another story out there that I was told by a contra player from 1979 Spirit...that does sound realistic or at least possible. That story being that at one point in 79 when they were rehearsing "IN DOORS"...the vibrations of the hornline's sound caused a SMALL LOOSE window going from the kitchen to the cafatiera to rattle itself out of it's socket and fall to the ground...obviously "shattering". Perhaps not as impressive of a story as the sound waves themselves actually causing the window itself to "shatter" but still, for even something like that to happen is pretty cool.

I can't confirm that even THAT story is true because I was not there personally, though a contra player from that year is a pretty good source if he is not actually LYING about it. Though again, that particular story is not exactly far fetched and could in fact happen even if a vaccum cleaner was too close to such a window. Certainly more possible than "a press box window shattering".

Who knows for sure? Probably nobody ever will unless someone happens to have a home video...which as we know was not very common in that day. (shrug)

Jim clark DID confirm though that they did NOT actually "shatter a pressbox window with their sound" and even called it an "urban myth".

But, if there was ever a hornline that could, it would be that one. Specifically 79.

BUT HEY!!!! Even if BOTH stories are fabrications (and I have a feeling they are...even the one I mentioned), perhaps it's TIME to actually MAKE it a reality with this year's Spirit hornline. Ya know? You would have to have a pretty well in tune hornline with some SERIOUS overtones to make it happen. Overblowing would not do it.

Hmmm...new goal for 07 maybe? :ph34r:

Edited by torn8o

Hmmm...new goal for 07 maybe? :doh:

Hey torn8o, ever see that cover for Maynard's 'New Vintage' album? The back side shows a cork being shot out of the bell. Would a solid ammunition void the accomplishment? HA :doh: