Drum Corps Rumble?

DOH!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the good old days of drum corps...

Only brawl related story I have was from '01, with that little scrum in Huskie stadium between Cap Reg and the NIU football team. And we all know who REALLY won that one. ^0^

Edited by Galen

Here's a biker-drum corps story for you. I know this one to be true because I was there, and I never tell stories. :wall:

It was either '76 or'77 and we were at a show in Huntington, PA. A few miles away in the hills was some kind of bluegrass festival. :wall: A large portion of the Pagans MC :lol: were at the bluegrass festival. (Pagans main base is Altoona PA) Seems some of the bikers decided to let their dogs fight each other. ^0^ Some redneck local didn't like it and shot one the main leaders of the Pagans. :(

The whole town was shutdown and we were told to hold-up at the Mickey D's right on US22.

First came the bikers down the highway, at least 200 plus. Then came the cops, 4 to a car, maybe 100 cars.

Needless to say, the show was cancelled. <**>

Oh we had run-ins with the Bountiful Utah high school football team--culminating with the 1230 in the morning running down the middle of a street in the quiet peaceful Mormon community of Bountiful chasing cars full of football players yelling some very profane and community-standard rule breaking phrases and epitaphs. Smaller incidents occured as well but nothing serious...

HOWEVER--there seems to be a rumor in the VK lexicon that states that after the 1984 prelims when VK edged out the Bridgemen, that the Bridgemen were "waiting in the parking lot" for VK. Some kind of brawl occurred?? Don't know...anyone there that year?

In 1981 we were practicing in West Chester U.'s stadium......same place where the Phil. Eagles happen to be practicing too. Talking about "cat calls" to us guard members! I remember doing our morning stretches outside the stadium and seeing "them" on the top row of the stadium whistling at us!

I've heard stories from some Blue Stars alums from "back in the day" that Crossmen's drumline used to wait in the parking lot for Blue Stars after shows; not too much love lost there, apparently.

The closest thing that I experienced was in 2002. I think it may have been at the Cavaliers homeshow. Anyway, the Royal Air Alumni corps had been placed between Cavaliers and Colts during retreat because the Cavaliers were going to do a presentation to them. This was one of their first shows out I think. (I was on the far left of our block nearest theirs) So we got all lined up on the field and we notice that the Royal Airs guard has formed an arc that spans not only their 10 yards but also went into both our 10 yards and Cavaliers. Now this greatly amused us all - I mean the sanctity of our "lines" must have come from somewhere, and surely wasn't THAT new. So Jared, our horn sergeant, goes over and politely explains the "line" and would they please move to the other side. They moved, but not completely out of our block, but I don't think Jared pursued it. Then we hear from one of the Royal Air horn guys (? maybe drum) say something to the effect of "You want to take it up with me?" in a vaguely threatening tone - which of course reduced us all to trying to contain our laughter since we were all at parade rest and not supposed to react to anything in retreat.

So we say that was the day the Colts nearly got into it with a bunch of old school corps alums.

Nothing but love for the Royal Airs...but that was one of the most amusing things I've ever heard.

At a show in Dallas in 1987 i was on the Cooking staff for BD.

Our biggest bass drummer had passed out from the heat.

Lloyd Peterson went running to find a phone to call for help.

he broke ranks right through the Cavalier Drumline.

They all jumped him.  ######!!!

Well, maybe if your bass drummer wasn't such a candy ###, Lloyd wouldn't have gotten beat... b**bs

he didn't know about breaking ranks all he knew was he was trying to help someone.

Doug any thoughts on this? (it's your brother )

Late 60's, early 70's. Rumbles and fights were always talked about, because a few had occured (mostly brought on by staff). We heard about fights and scuffles, saw very few,...but on one East Coast swing, we were lectured on what could happen if push came to shove.

We were simply told that if you had to defend yourself or your corps honor, go ahead,....but if you got into it with the Boston Crusaders guard,...you were on your own,...cause they could whoop up on anyone!!!!!!