Drum Corps Rumble?

Is it just me, or is there is something... I don't know... FUNNY about all of these church based drum corps getting into fights with one another?

Don't forget that a lot of the early church based DCs were from the worst section of town. Back then a lot (most?) of the corps were created to give the kids something to do and help them straighten their lives out. That's another reason why some people from that era have problems with the big business that DCI has become. (Not bashing anyone just pointing out the difference in purpose.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Drum Corps Brawls:

1961, VFW Nationals,

The Orange Bowl,

Miami Florida

Retreat for the Finals of the 1961 VFW "Million Dollar Pagent of Drums" saw two of the junior finalists "Go at it" RIGHT ON THE FIELD.

St Marys Majestic Knights of Charlestown Ma and the St Vincents Cadets of Bayonne NJ had been placed next to each other by VFW contest officials without those officials having knowledge of the "Bad Blood" between the two units, and the fact that they had been involved in an earlier altercation.

All it took was a few "Dirty Looks" and passed remaks to reignite the fued. The corps memberships battled on the field, at retreat until seperated by the contest staff and instructors.

The VFW Nationals contest Chairman, Tony Schlecta ran through the scores of all the Finalists, in all categories, oblivious of the brawl going on right in front of him.

Fleetwood Records had recorded the 1961 Finals and announcement of scores, (as they had in 1960, and would in 1962) and planned on including the announcement of scores in the albums. The microphones picked up "Sounds of Battle" comming from the field, and led to the scores announcements being deleted from the albums.

Elphaba

Who's going to talk about Boston in Miami in 1983?

1961, VFW Nationals,

The Orange Bowl,

Miami Florida

< snipped but very interesting >

Elphaba

Wonder if this should be posted in the Senior, ooops DCA area also. Remember hearing some Reilly Raider/Archer Epler Musketeer stories when I marched. For the younger folks Reilly and Archie were cross town (Philly area) Sr rivals.

PS - Liked the story, when and where did you march?

• 2 weeks later...

I've reported this "tragedy narrowly averted" story before. 1967 Lakewood, CA, Ambassadors mini-corps and individuals contest. I, an Anaheim Kingsmen, was entered in 2 categories: tenor baritone and bass baritone. I was up against my VK rival and beat him.

Since AK and VK were both step-brothers emerging from The Anaheim Scouts days, pretty much everybody knew everybody else. I was "the new guy," having joined a few years after the split.

My VK baritone rival was know in both corps (he'd marched in both) for his signature laugh: something like WAAAA-HAHHAHHAHAH!

So my Kingsmen buddies, at the announcement of the score, let out with this laugh....kinda funny, I thought.

Evidently VK though this was "poor sportsmanship" or the like and there was a "Sharks vs. Jets" moment in the parking lot of the old Lakewood American Legion Post after the gig.

I was standing there with my Kingsmen running buddies and look up to see a bunch of angry Velvet Knights coming towards us with mayhem in their eyes....led by this one HUGE contra player.

Well, we talked it out and the necessary apologies were made so the tragedy, like I said, was narrowly averted.

That contra player! Charlie Groh...and that was my first meeting with a guy whom I know , call a friend, and have respected for almost 38 years now.

(I still have my medals for that show, too, and fortunately, my teeth.)

RON HOUSLEY

• 3 weeks later...

I can verify that Paul Milano story....when I aged out of Cavies I got a belt buckle plaque in which the belt buckle had been scraped on the edges to make it a little bit "sharper"

IN 95 the loveable Boston Crusaders snareline had some issues. One of them removed a mouth piece from one of our contras on the way out to retreat. After a whole retreat filled w/ taunts and lots of nasty words, a few of us went to thier busses to "handle the siuation". Thier director claimed his kids would NEVER do anything like that. It was pretty odd that someone from Crusaders brought it back.

I think there are LOTS of Skyliners, Sunriser, Caballero stories out there!