Biggest Downer

I'm surprised that the BD fire of 85 hasn't been brought up. It really wasn't a bright moment. Especially when we finished the tour eating like the Troopers.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was bummed when my beloved Freelancers went inactive the first time, but was crushed when they went inactive the final time.  Such a proud tradition.  I know they still have a drumline and colorguard that performs at WGI but it is not the same as 128 of us out on the field together striving to do the best we can.

I have to agree...

But since you said while marching- it's have to be at a show in 1988 when I was playing drum for a small corps called Sunset Regiment. The guy behind me fell while we were marching backwards...do NOT ask me how I managed not to end up on my rear end b**bs , but it was still a rather harrowing thing and probably would have been better had I just bit it then.

Edited by KristeyK

I'm surprised that the BD fire of 85 hasn't been brought up. It really wasn't a bright moment. Especially when we finished the tour eating like the Troopers.

Cymbals waiting to be cleaned after the Blue Devils fire and the lower picture of Steve Campbell putting together his brand new drum (the drum line spent the day assembling their drums)

burn.jpg

"Biggest Downer(s)":

Watching all the lights go out on the great Bridgeport Connecticut junior corps in 1967 & 1968. Lost in 68 were both the St Raphaels Buccaneers & Marionettes and the cross town rival Bridgeport PAL Cadets.

The preceeding year had seen two other Bridgeport juniors fold, the St Anns Loyalairs and Connecticut Royal Lancers, as well as the St Raphaels 'cadets" corps, the Muskateers.

The best of luck to the "Park City Pride" Bridgeport Reunion Corps that has been formed to include former members of ALL the areas 1960s junior corps and will do a "One Time Performance" at the Barnum Festivals parade and 'Parade of Champions' DCA show. I understand they have over 200 members on board at this time.

Elphaba

• 2 weeks later...

Memphis, July, 1980:

We were waiting that ####-hot day to find out if we could wash our clothes when the staff came crying into that sweltering gym. Ralph Pace told us that Jim Ott did not make it following the wreck the night before.

We all grew up that day. So many other things are simply relative.

Drum Corps can suck sometimes...

Man, I remember that. I believe they used VK's drums for a bit because I seem to remember the blue color of the drums and the unis not quite matching. B)

Although it probably isn't considered a bright spot, it's events like this that tend to bring the drum corps community a bit closer.

Another bummer I just remembered was being awakened one morning by my mother asking if I knew anybody in the Los Angeles Chinese Drum Corps? It would have been in the early 60s and there was a terrible bus accident in which members of the corps were killed on the way to that year's state AL drum corps competition. I had been corresponding with a girl in the corps and knew a few other guys and it was a very ugly way to wake up that particular morning.

I remember the funerals were covered on the local LA tv station and I particularly remember learning from that the Chinese custom of giving a candy to people as the left the church to lessen the "bad taste" of the funeral.

I'll research to see if I can find exactly what year that was, or some of the locals might remember.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

I was a member of the Royal Coachmen (NY) in the 70's. In 1976, we purchased uniforms from the Seneca Princemen, won a few shows for the first time, had a successful season, won "A" Class NT Open and then our director resigns the day we leave for Philly for our first DCI. We finished 16th or something and that was that. Director returns a week or two later then resigns in May 1977 and so we "merge" with this corps called the Frontiersmen. Not a good summer at all and most of the kids from the Royal Coachmen go on to 27th, Seneca Optimist, Oakland Crusaders. I went into the Army.

I always wondered what would've happened if we stuck it out. We had 32 horns, 20 perc and 20 in guard. I miss all the friends and the chance for my kids to march in that corps.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE A STORY?

Keith, do you remember some of the names of people that came to us?

Just wondering...maybe I thought they were from some where else, or maybe I turned 45 last month and I'm kind of old.... :P