Serenade and Brass Show REVIEW

Here's the review,

1st Corps Hitmen: The 2003 DCA Mini-Corps defending champions. The story this year is that the Hitmen are telling is quite interesting….and entertaining. They are prisoners meeting before the parole board and were given an opportunity to play to the crowd for their freedom. The parole board had an applause meter to aid them in deciding if the corps deserved to be placed on parole. Well this corps presented an exciting and funny show (They are very creative). This corps only consists of 8 horns and 1 drummer...very impressive....there is no hiding here. All players play well and especially the soprano player (Actually he plays a trumpet). A mix of music that everyone can enjoy got things rolling……and yes….they made parole….congrats Hitmen….the crowd loved ya.

The next corps to perform was the Westshoremen Alumni. Very few people would probably guess that this corps only got together 3 times as a full ensemble to run through the music before tonight’s performance. 40 plus horns and full drumline and pretty good-sized pit made for an exciting presentation. The corps played 3 selections, America the Beautiful, Explosion and ofcoarse Blues in the Night. Some really nice solo work and some incredible drumming (Including all kinds of stick tricks).

The Buccaneers Alumni were the next to perform. The Bucs alumni brought us a nice show of classic tunes…a lot of them patriotic. This corps is not as big as some of the other of alumni corps but the quality is great ! They take a real controlled approach and gave the crowd a nice show…..good job.

Introduced as the oldest Drum and Bulge corps in existence (Started in 1914) the US Naval Academy drum and bugle corps took the stage with a commanding presence. They stand at attention and bring their horns up with incredible accuracy….I love that stuff. The corps played American Salute and Malaguena and few other patriotic tunes. Considering that these members participate in corps as an extracurricular activity I am always impressed with what they present. Great Job !

The next corps to take the stage was the Mass Brass DCA Mini-Corps. 18 horns and 2 drummers brought the house of close to 3,000 people to their feet a couple of times. This corps is amazing…..if you get the chance…definitely check them out. A couple of tunes they played were Niner 2 and Malaguena. This corps soprano players are INSANE. Incredible.

Yankee Rebels from Baltimore Maryland……we all know what kind of show were are going to get from this fine drum corps. Their drumline seemed to be a bit bigger and better than previous viewings. Soloists did a fine job and I really enjoyed their show. I always look forward to them playing Battle Hymn….GREAT job !

The next group to perform did not need any introduction at all……because it was the Hip Pickles. Here is another great group that you can always count on to present something fun and creative. The speed and accuracy in which these 3 percussionists play with is nothing short of amazing.

The Caballeros Alumni corps was the next to perform and man did they rock the house. A nice slow classic RUMP intro got things off to a great start. This corps really performed well and the strong soloists that we come to expect did great. The corps is playing a couple of new songs this year and they brought back Enchano. Great job !

Introduced as the corps from the snowy north….the St. Joe’s Alumni corps from Batavia NY took the stage. This corps makes me jealous…..they will be traveling down to Florida to perform in a parade in the coming days. Tonight….they did an awesome job and really brought the crowd to its feet. A couple of the tunes they played were Bully, Legend of the One Eye Sailor and Santana Medley/Everybody's Everything. Outstanding job.

The defending DCA World Champion Hawthorne Caballeros were the final corps to take the stage and presented their 2004 field show Titled “Pamplona: - Fiesta de San Fermin” – “The Running of the Bulls” The corps is presenting a totally original book (Music, Visual, Guard) written by Key Paulan, Gary Gill, Mitch Rogers and Greg King. This show really cooks and I love their ballad titled “San Fermin” I feel that the corps is stronger now then they were last year at this point. In my humble opinion they are going to be the corps to beat coming “out of the gates” in June. Great job Cabs….keep working.

The finale of the show bought use the Caballeros and Caballeros Alumni corps massing together playing the classic “Flamenco Cha Cha” Approx. 108 horns…….what a sound.

I really enjoyed this years show……thank you 5 Star Brass for a great show.

:) :) :)

Triple Forte

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the kind words on Shore!

FYI, we had 62 brass on stage....almost double last year!

i have one of Shore if i can figure out out how to get it on here. unless you tell me to send it to you and you post it :P

WOW. Great show. Kay......it was nice meeting you. Hawthorne's alumni was smokin'....that is the cleanest I have ever heard their hornline. Great music selection also. The competing corps is obviously off to a fast start. Going to be interesting, but it looks to me like for it only being the first weekend in April they are poised to repeat.

Westshore sounded good and was big.

Mass Brass was great. Maybe I am just getting older, but I don't remember as many great soloists being around back in the 80's as are there are today. Must be the chops are getting better with age because there were screamers all throughout the night in every corps.

However........the weather and the snowstorm I drove through on the way back to Erie reminded me of why I moved to Atlanta:)

It was my pleasure Eric!

Glad you enjoyed it.

I thought the entire night was great. Mass Brass was awesome!

Must be the chops are getting better with age because there were screamers all throughout the night in every corps.

My pleasure, indeed from the Rebels Screamer. B)

The defending DCA World Champion Hawthorne Caballeros were the final corps to take the stage and presented their 2004 field show Titled “Pamplona: - Fiesta de San Fermin” – “The Running of the Bulls” The corps is presenting a totally original book (Music, Visual, Guard) written by Key Paulan, Gary Gill, Mitch Rogers and Greg King. This show really cooks and I love their ballad titled “San Fermin” I feel that the corps is stronger now then they were last year at this point. In my humble opinion they are going to be the corps to beat coming “out of the gates” in June. Great job Cabs….keep working.

Just For Clarification,

Our Design Staff this year is

Key Poulan (Brass)

Gary Gill (Battery)

David Pasquarella (Pit) (and One #### of a Conductor Saturday Night... Thanks Dave)

Michael Gaines (not Mitch Rodgers)

Greg King

A Special Thank you also to Sean Glennon for the Warm-up and Cliff Bielken for Taking over this weekend..

And another Big Thanks to the Great Gordini.. For Stepping up and Hvaing the Cajones to Cover Curts Solo's! (and Feel Better Curt.. Godito's Body is big enough.. don't need his head getting that way too!)