You know you're "Old School" when revisited...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the Garfield Cadets color guard wearing hot pants in '77.....!!!

Watching the entire 4hr live broadcast of DCI Finals on PBS

NO TALKING ON THE FIELD!!!!

Wooden Drum Major Podiums

SCV's bedposts instead of rifles

You Know Old when.......You remember Reggie Laus never getting enough credit for how good he was because he played for the Pittsburgh(genuine German helmets) Rockets.....Not only do you remember off-the-line, but color presentation with real American Flag unit....Corps marched Black pants and White shoes.....No women marched...ever(Stupid Huh?).......You remember the rifle better be able to shoot if it went on the field....And really good rifle squads like Yankee-Rebels and Rockets....If you dropped anything too bad, so sad, ....You had to enter off-the-line and exit opposite end of field.... And yes there will never be another Pepe Nataro.....and believe it or not DCA and RCA were the only games in town.....Cream of the crop Juniors were all from New York- New Jersey(or some Blue Rock in Delaware).....Wild Bill Hooten was the coolest Drum Major in shades......Alan Smythe changing the style of drum major.....and how could anyone forget the Ballantine Brewers

• 3 weeks later...

...or the Hamm's Indians. Got to see them in 62 at Vegas AL Nats. Besides the indian costumes they had silks in various shades of blue so that down the line when you looked thru them it looked like shimmering water. Cheap but effective GE.

Ballentine's had some pretty cool headgear, too!

Two brewery sponsored corps, btw.

Maybe LaCrosse should get its favorite brewery to start a new senior corps: THE OLD STYLES.

Like it?

RON HOUSLEY

I've seen the world's

largest 6-pack in LaCrosse!

Edited by ffernbus3

17. (special for Mike B., Paul M., Mitch S., Pete S. and Rich G.) You hightailed it

when you saw "Ma" Gengler coming with the Chloraseptic spray.

Just saw this post. Thanks. I will once again have nightmares tonight thanks to you!! :bleah:

.. but Ma was a godsend. I agree with Paul M. :rolleyes:

Don't have time to go through all these replies but:

1) Inspections

2) School Buses

3) Never meeting kids from the top corps because we would be off the field from finale, on the busses and gone by the time they came off.

I guess that means I'm "old school" cause I remember "inspections" and "no talking" at retreats...

and SCV using Bedposts... :rolleyes: :P

Now I'm depressed! :bleah:

and "The gunshot"

When did that stop in 1983?

Ah yes, inspections! Anaheim Kingsmen used to actually have "shoe shining" parties in different sections. Not just shined, but spit-shined so glossy one could actually shave in the reflection. That was part of the esprit de corps of The Kingsmen and came directly from Rocco Oliverio still being in The Marines when he took over the horn line in 1966.

RON HOUSLEY

67 AK Lead Bari Squad

I guess I qualify as 'Old School'. I marched with the 'Blue Who?' starting before the tuxedo era. There was a store in Concord that sold the material we used for the shirts, and it was sold only to BD members. It was called Blue Devil Satin (honest, that was the name). I know first hand of the Blue Rock, Kingsmen, 27th, Kilties, mace walk, roto toms, Jim Ott, Argonne, DeLaSalle, Purple Lancers, Muchachoes, Bridgemen, Freelancers, Commodores, and I also got to wear the tuxedoes. Those were special years my friends.