You know you're "Old School" when revisited...

1)....You were IN the KFC commercial

2) You know what "Feet up" means on the girls bus

3) You had a girls bus

4) You hoped that your corps would own their own busses some day

5) You still have a "Baritone pinkie" from the V/R days

6) You remember your Dad complaining about "modern corps"

7) You remember your Granfather complaining about "modern corps"

And the list goes on!

Michael

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1)....You were IN the KFC commercial

2) You know what "Feet up" means on the girls bus

3) You had a girls bus

4) You hoped that your corps would own their own busses some day

5) You still have a "Baritone pinkie" from the V/R days

6) You remember your Dad complaining about "modern corps"

7) You remember your Granfather complaining about "modern corps"

And the list goes on!

Michael

You were in a KFC commercial? That's cool!

You know your old school when you remember:

- the last practise with your fellow corps members in your ageout year

- the pride you have for your brand new G bugle your holding or the new

drum your have slinged around you back.

- your very last retreat of your drum corps career and you don't want it to end.

- the very last retreat without one corps owning any ampifiers

THese are just a few of the things most kids of today will never expereince because DCI has done away with them. Too bad.

What's next DCI, Getting rid of the judges and just have a summer of exhibitions

with one big exhibition with the Kazoo Band from Kalamazoo.

Now I know how Reptevia felt in Fiddler On The Roof, the TRADITIONS of drum corps are fading away faster then any one realizes and faster than anyone can do anything about, NOW THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!

T R A D I T I O N !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

When you had a vintage early 60s Rogers DynaSonic snare drum to play, and complained because everyone else had TDR's (the Rogers, fwiw, is worth a helluva lot more now than the TDR...)

When you could get in your car and have four, count 'em FOUR, DCI finalist corps to march with within a 2-hour drive of your house. Five if you wanted to drive an additional 90 minutes...

When a snare drummer would walk back to the bass line and play them like concert tympani for passages considered too intricate for the bass line to play themselves. Most of these passages consisted of 8th notes....:P

One word - VistaLites...

When every drum and mallet instrument on the field was made in the US.

When the season really seemed like it was months long rather than a couple of weeks in the middle of the summer...

School busses for cross country tours. Yeah, THAT was smart....B)

Tours across Ohio meant that you'd be eating breakfast and dinner in a Big Boy. No idea why...

Lots of standstills in fairs, lots of parades.

Heavy satin Cavaliers-style blouses in the middle of 90 degree heat. Chagrined to find out that when i went to Cavaliers, I STILL had to wear a heavy satin blouse in the middle of the summer - with a vest on top of it...(last year of those old tops, come to think of it..)

I guess I'm old school because one of my earliest memories is seeing the old Doremus Post "Jersey Skeeters" from Hackensack, NJ.

The really cool thing was that I spent my Junior High and High School years with the same corps and same people. We grew up together year around. And what's even cooler, I play now with the surviving baritone line from the 1957 PAL Cadets (and, of course, with a lot of other great people from all the corps we used to compete against). :)

I should add that I remember the first time the PAL went on the field to do an exhibition in Bridgeport. We dressed in the high with Blessed Sacrament, Holy Name, Hyde Park, St. Vinnies and the BonBons. Wow, for a 13 year old kid who was just starting out,what an impression they made. :)

HMMM--

I remember being at a show in West Chester, PA on my birthday in 1979.

Reading Buccaneers must have been putting on an exhibition, 'cuz i DO recall

George Parks whippin' that mace WAAAAAAAAY up in the air :worthy:

unc, I remember competing in a show in 80 where I believe the seniors were also in competition that night. It was either New York, or maybe PA??? It was one of those rare times I was cornered to stand in line with the drum majors while the scores were being announced.

It all depended on how good I hid just prior to retreat whether I went or not, or if the corps was especially pyched or rowdy that night.... :angry: who us?? Like I could control 127 other people. Oh wait, I did! ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^