You know you're "Old School" when revisited...

You are all old school.

I was called old school in '99 when I was on staff with a corps. It made me laugh. I can't even say I got to perform with a two valve sop. I did, however, play a 2 valve flugle my first two camps.

:silly: I didn't even play a 3-v until senior corps in '00.

I played v/r my entire junior corps career.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you're old school when you know what "Off-the-Line" really means...

You know you're old school when you know what that gunshot was on the tape...

You know you're old school when you know that a "tick" isn't something that bites your leg.

Regards,

Dan J

"Olde School":

Remember when:

The Madison & Racine Scouts wore actual Boy Scout uniforms (this is late 1950s early 1960s). Also, both corps carried marching glockenspiels.

The Chicago Royal Airs were the "Alamo Rangers".

The Santa Clara Vanguard was the "Sunnyvale Sparks".

The Anahiem Scouts were the 'seedbed' for both the Anahiem Kingsmen & the Velvet Knights.

Boston Massachusetts had a TON of great junior corps and most of them were beating the Boston/Hyde Park Crusaders. Their numbers included:

St Kevins Emerald Knights

Cambridge Caballeros

IC Reveries

St Marys Cardinals

St Marys Majestic Knights

St Rose Scarlet Lancers

St Thomas Moore Cadets

Braintree Warriors

Boston Gatesmen

Malden Cavaliers

The state of New Jersey was the drum corps capital of the nation with both junior National Champions (Blessed Sacrament & Garfield Cadets) and the senior Legion Champion (Hawthorne Caballeros) all within a couple of miles of each other.

The Hawthorne Caballeros winning seven American Legion National Championships (1958 through 1964) in a row.

The first contra bass bugles were introduced (1962) and the corps that carried them: St Raphaels Buccaneers, Garfield Cadets, Hawthorne Caballeros & the USAF "Blue Eagles" from Bolling AFB DC.

All of the great juniors that were lost in 1962, St Vincents Cadets, Cambridge Caballeros, Our Lady of Loretto, St Catherines Queensmen & Marionettes, and Floyd Bennet Golden Eagles. This was the greatest pre DCI "crash & burn" until 1968 when the Viet Nam War "draft" wiped out: Bridgeport PAL Cadets, St Raphaels Buccaneers, Chicago Royal Airs, St Roccos Cadets, NY Kingsmen, Pittsfield Cavaliers, and the St Kevins Emerald Knights.

There are many more "moments" from this time period, but the above listed come to mind.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Z,, big thanks for remembering the unis. I go back even further than that though LOL their first three years the unis were black. I actually designed the green unis myself and of course they morphed after that.

Thanks for the list as well. I now know that I'm not the only dinosaur out here.

Do you remember when most towns in America had at least one drum and bugle corps? My town, Pittsfield Mass. had 7 at one time. GOOD TIMES, GOOD TIMES.

Do you guys remember what happens to feathered plumes when they got wet? Are they still made with feathers?

Do you remember that the Xmen were the result of a merger between the Keystone Regiment and the 507 Hornets?

The Avant Garde were also a merger result between the Spiegleairs and the Bethesda Emerald Knights.

Do you remember ever going to shows that had both JR corps and senior corps?

Do you remember Drum Corps. News?

Do you remember when your biggest finacial worry was dues and money for the weekend trip ( Parade and show usually)

Do remember when making the top 25 at DCI, was actually a compitition, because there were thirty to forty other corps below that were scratching and clawing to get to the top and they were all in open class as well.

Do you remember the sprinklers going off during the Kilties show at The World Open?

Edited by BariBrian

Do you guys remember what happens to feathered plumes when they got wet? Are they still made with feathers?

Ours used to look like palm trees, the outside feathers playing the role of the leaves.

Do you remember ever going to shows that had both JR corps and senior corps?

Outside of the Dream in Jersey City and Wildwood VFW/AL states, few if any of our shows had a mix.

Mike

Evening With the Corps. The Barnum Festival, The World Open even had both at one time

HMMM--

I remember being at a show in West Chester, PA on my birthday in 1979.

Reading Buccaneers must have been putting on an exhibition, 'cuz i DO recall

George Parks whippin' that mace WAAAAAAAAY up in the air :silly:

Evening With the Corps. The Barnum Festival, The World Open even had both at one time

Evening with the Corps...yes, I had forgotten about that indoor exhibition show.

World Open was only Junior when I marched...may have had a senior show either before or after.

I didn't know Barnum had a junior show and a senior show... I judged it once (1990), but never marched it.

Still...it wasn't all that common.

Mike

Grand Prix also Mike. Agreed not that common , but it was an event worth paying for