Why did VK fold?

I heard that theory a few times...but the Bridgemen started to slide afer the 1980 season...before VK went the comedy route.

If that theory were true, there'd only be one corps for each idiom...

Frankly, I'd love to get a time machine and take Surf and Impulse back to VK/Bridgemen's heyday and have a comedy corps smackdown!!!

I could die happy then!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that theory a few times...but the Bridgemen started to slide afer the 1980 season...before VK went the comedy route.

If that theory were true, there'd only be one corps for each idiom...

Frankly, I'd love to get a time machine and take Surf and Impulse back to VK/Bridgemen's heyday and have a comedy corps smackdown!!!

I could die happy then!

True-DAT!

I've seen Jersey Surf a few times, both live and on DVD.

They are NOT Bridgemen OR VK.  They are not trying to be, nor should they be.

Surf, while performing crowd-pleasing shows, like Bridgemen and VK did in the past, have their own identity and style.  It's very fun to watch plus they're great at what they do.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm quite the Surf fan.  b**bs

I've noticed, throughout your various posts, and it's awesome. :grouphug:

I've noticed, throughout your various posts, and it's awesome. :grouphug:

I just can't help lovin' that corps. :P

It's easy to compare and criticize a new corps who does the "entertainment first" route.  There were plenty of people who complained that VK was copying Bridgemen when they switched from their more traditional cadet to the Hawaiian shirt wearing crowd pleasing style.**  Well, shouldn't that be flattering to Bridgemen to have a corps who loves your style and wants to spread that style to more fans?  Not saying that was VK's intent.  Nor is it Impulse or Surf's intent to copy these corps.  But so what if it is? I mean, afterall, if we only had one sitcom on TV to watch time and time again, life would be boring.  I say the more fun corps the better!!! 

**I've heard that some have even blamed VK for the demise of Bridgemen, stating that DCI only had room for one corps with that style (we got boo'd at the Bayonne show in 1992).  Don't know the truth behind that.  Just what I heard back in '92.  I'm hoping that's completely false :(  Please confirm if anyone knows the facts.

you touched a couple of very good points.

first VK was not the demise of the Bridgemen.. mismanagement was

and if you got booed it was probably just Bayonne's way of saying they miss there own. The Bridgemen were more than just fun they were an elite DCI corps and thats a hard thing to lose.

and as for VK copying us?? if they did..who cares!! we were happy to finally have another corps validate what we were doing. they were our west coast brothers. I know that a lot of their staff marched/taught in the Bridgemen and that made it even better for us! they were a part of us then. we loved VK. we looked forward to being at shows with them and yeah there was a sense of "who's better right now" but that was just the competative aspect of DC.

and as for surf? it is great to see them!! is it the Bridgemen?...no!! VK?...no!!.. Its surf!!! and thats cool!

(and as a side note... I see a lot of Bridgemen in every corps out there these days. If you look at DC from 1976 to 1983 and look at it now? the Bridgemen IMHO are the beginning of the modern day DC. maybe not the same "style" but the performance aspect is there)

John....GREAT points...and thanks for clarifying some of the "feelings" Bridgemen had. Yes, with Greg Clarke, Matt Savage, Eddie Drayton, Mike Mercandante, and the legendary Bobby Hoffman being part of the VK family, there was certainly alot of, how should we say, shared "roots" between the two powerhouses.

To be honest, when I joined in 1985, all I heard were the normal "trash and smack talk" that Bridgemen hated VK. Apparently some of my cohorts in VK missed the point that Bridgemen actually liked them. But I do think that 84 was that pivotal time, and I think there were some hard feelings--and feelings I could DEFINITELY understand.

And as a side note--if there was EVER a dream that I had, it would be to do what YOU are doing right now....and bringing back the Bridgemen Alumni and DOING IT!! Man...what I would do to be able to do that with VK....

I could only imagine the crowds going nuts to see a combo Bridgemen and VK Alumni SUPERCORPS walking into a DCI finals (UNINVITED OF COURSE--because that's just how we would do things!!!), and perform together. Those kids wouldn't know what hit 'em!!

Thanks John...

Yes Ryan I loved VK as was not a happy camper when you folded. While you were around it seemed to me that the BMEN were still alive.Becaus you picked up where we left off. That would be great if you could get a VK alumni corps and we could both crash a DCI show togeather that would be something.Just think a little Jaws here a beach ball flying around the stands a NY cop directing traffic and the South winning the war good times.

Edited by lp1955

NOW LEO!!! See what you did??

You got the show designer in me thinking...how would I put a full sized VK/Bridgemen (or Bridgemen/VK--depending on your perspective!) super corps on the field...and how would we program it...I know we'd have to do "All Night Long" from us, and "Get Your Boogie Down" from you guys...and then the Civil War Suite of course...and then, JAWS interrupting everything...with a tradeoff between "Shaft" and "Peter Gunn", and then we'd end the show with a combo of "William Tell" going back into "Hungarian Rhapsody" and BRINGING BACK THE SHARK who would SAVE THE BMEN CHICKEN from the FAT LADY!!!!

Holy ####!!! We'd WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!