Why did VK fold?

Fortunately, while Surf may get comparisons to VK, they don't have the same baggage as Impulse having so many VK alums on staff...a lot of people still insist Impulse is really VK reborn with a new name...

Argh. The early years of Impulse were marred by comparisons to VK. Yes, we have many VK alum and (former) staff on our Board and staff. Yes, we primarily seek to entertain. Yes, our fans often compare us to VK, and appreciate our entertaining shows.

Thank you Sam. We have indeed been inspired by the Velvet Knights, and seek to return their legacy to DCI.

But we have evolved. We play advanced literature, and play it well. We now seek to take modern "corps-style" repertoire and make it our own. We will indeed win over the judging community and show them that a combination of our signature entertainment style and quality execution can be competitive and pleasing to the audience at the same time. We took Sixth place this past season not because we were "funny" but because we executed our show well.

VK is always near and dear to our hearts, and we will always bear the responsibility and values that they themselves represented. Impulse also represents "modern" drum corps values and we will stand on our own.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a call Ryan! A few days after you posted this thread, someone asked the question, once again. Too funny!

I wish there was a way to keep all the speculation and accusations about the demise of both our corps from being such a hot topic.

'89 VK was the first big corps I ever saw live. I still love that show.

Edited by ravedodger

w/Stp:

I've seen Bridgemen and VK live...they were both great to see.

I haven't seen Impulse or Jersey Surf and just wonder if they are shadows of these corps.

I've seen Jersey Surf a few times, both live and on DVD.

They are NOT Bridgemen OR VK. They are not trying to be, nor should they be.

Surf, while performing crowd-pleasing shows, like Bridgemen and VK did in the past, have their own identity and style. It's very fun to watch plus they're great at what they do.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm quite the Surf fan. b**bs

It's easy to compare and criticize a new corps who does the "entertainment first" route. There were plenty of people who complained that VK was copying Bridgemen when they switched from their more traditional cadet to the Hawaiian shirt wearing crowd pleasing style.** Well, shouldn't that be flattering to Bridgemen to have a corps who loves your style and wants to spread that style to more fans? Not saying that was VK's intent. Nor is it Impulse or Surf's intent to copy these corps. But so what if it is? I mean, afterall, if we only had one sitcom on TV to watch time and time again, life would be boring. I say the more fun corps the better!!!

**I've heard that some have even blamed VK for the demise of Bridgemen, stating that DCI only had room for one corps with that style (we got boo'd at the Bayonne show in 1992). Don't know the truth behind that. Just what I heard back in '92. I'm hoping that's completely false :( Please confirm if anyone knows the facts.