1970s Top 3

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

74 Kingsmen - my favorite corps while growing up, wish I would have seen them that year.

76 Blue Devils - Yes...they changed it all!

78 Vanguard - That lead sop line and snare line were amazing!

First alternates (could not narrow it down!) - 77 Bridgemen or 74 Vanguard

For you who are itching to see 75 Madison - yes the brass was awesome, but check out the phasing in the feet during the drum solo!! They could have hit them with a "unit penalty" on that it is so bad!

78 Vanguard - That lead sop line and snare line were amazing!

Snares, yes. Sops - I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. They fracked quite a few notes finals night. Kinda makes you wonder how they won? Opps! I didn't go there!

Rocketman - Fracks R Us

ampssuck

The fact that I don't see 73 SCV shows the power of videotape. 1st year of YPG and equal if not better than 74.

Wait a minute--wasn't that '73 SCV I saw on the McCormick's "Competitive Drum Corps" movie with Stan Kenton I saw back in '75??????? :worthy:

Snares, yes. Sops - I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. They fracked quite a few notes finals night. Kinda makes you wonder how they won?

And that's reflected accordingly in their brass scores. I couldn't access the recap the usual way (via fromthepressbox.com), but corpsreps.com has the recap, as well: 1978 finals recap

Santa Clara placed relatively low in all the brass captions (there were several ties, so I'm not messing with counting the tie, and then skipping the next place; I'm just ranking them in chronological order, ties and all):

GE Brass: third, behind Phantom and Blue Devils, who tied for first, and Madison Scouts in second place.

Brass execution: sixth overall, behind Spirit in first, Phantom second, Bridgemen third, Blue Stars fourth and Madison fifth.

If brass were the only caption, then of course Santa Clara shouldn't have won in '78. But obviously, it's not (and this isn't the first time a corps has won with a relative "weakness" in a particular area; a few Blue Devils years, and their drum lines, come to mind). The reason Santa Clara won is reflected the fact that they managed to make up the difference in their GE (first place), Percussion (first place) and M&M (second, but only .5 behind Madison) scores.

hey, I saw that video back in '76! That's what got me interested in drum corps!

Wow, same here!

Wait a minute--wasn't that '73 SCV I saw on the McCormick's "Competitive Drum Corps" movie with Stan Kenton I saw back in '75??????? :beer:

Yes! That is the only video of SCV '73 that is in exsistance (that I know of). That was the last year that we started from the end zone. '74 was the first year from the sideline. And despite the fact that DCI says we did "Dance" for the first time in '74. It was actually '73! Proof positive is in that piece meal video. Gee, I hate thinking of all that precious tape of the "whole" show that ended up on the cutting room floor :( .