What Corps Sparked Your Interest

Jim I also was one of those who never saw a corps until I went to a rehersal.

Me too...my dad just signed me up with the corps his VFW post sponsored...I was 10 1/2 at the time....1964. Played snare in the kiddie feeder corps in 64 as I had started drum lessons the year before in grade school.

Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the post said first corps you saw, and for me it would be SCV in 68. The corps that got us all hooked and inspired us to join SCV had to be the Kiltes 68 & 69! Although we didn't see them our band director would play their recordings all the time. Imagine the thrill I had the first time I saw them live in Racine in 1970. Now imagine standing at retreat at your first show in the mid-west and beating your gods! Phew!

Same here.....I heard all those old senior corps recordings from the early 60s so I was already hooked on the "concept". Can't remember the first live corps, but it might have been Hawthorne Cabs at 62 Las Vegas AL.

I know for local SoCal corps I was all about the old Lakewood Ambassadors back around the same time but maybe didn't see them until 63?

Memories of "first-time" drum corps are truly dim......maybe the first corps I saw on TV was The Antlers, a Van Nuys, CA based drum, bell, handfull of bugles playing Grand Old Flag and a color guard......I remember seeing myself on TV on the re-run of some local SoCal weekend parade and that must have been back around then, too.

Be bizarre if my first drum corps memory was watching myself on TV!

I should add to the props for 72 Kingsmen, especially the guard. I was watching that show just last night and the guard always brings a tear of joy to my eye. The rifle line was nothing but tight! Too many examples to list.

RON HOUSLEY

"Be nice to me or I'll

play it the way you wrote it!"

Edited by ffernbus3

Surprisingly enough, Chops Inc 2000. looked like they were having so much fun, even though their bus broke down on the way to the show in Menomonie.

27th Lancers - Culumbus Day Parade, Revere, October 1969. I was addicted.

I grew up in Boston - where there was a drum corps everywhere. Every church, America Legion or VFW post sponsored a drum corps, a drill team, or marching band. My church sponsored 3 bands, 2 drill teams and 2 color guards.

The Boston Crusaders were originally a church sponsored corps - the Most Precious Blood Crusaders from Hyde Park, Boston, MA.

The better corps - St. Kevin's Dorcester, Crusaders, Majestic Knights, Reveries, Cardinals, Cambridge Caballeros, etc., were legal street gangs and sometimes they literally fought for a win.

There was something about the look of the 27th Lancers that day (unique to say the least) and their style that set them apart from BAC and the others.

I was a high school kid when I went to the CYO Nationals at Boston College in 1978. It was a great line-up of corps, but I was there to check out the corps that some of my high school intructors marched with....the Boston Crusaders.

I think they finished somewhere in the middle of the pack, but they had this "thing" about them that blew my mind. I knew then I would march with them one day.

They had no buses...just alot of junky cars with stickers on them...and an old red utility van with a hand-painted Waldo (the lion) on the side.

All that red and black, an in-your-face hornline, those incredible rifles, that color guard feature on the fifty, and the audience rising to their feet and screaming for Conquest.....I'll never forget that night!

I've never been normal since! B)

1986 Blue Devils

27th Lancers - Culumbus Day Parade, Revere, October 1969. I was addicted.

The better corps - St. Kevin's Dorcester, Crusaders, Majestic Knights, Reveries, Cardinals, Cambridge Caballeros, etc., were legal street gangs and sometimes they literally fought for a win.

They all used to fight back in the day, didn't they. those were the legends I was told. flipping buses and the like. How did the bumper sticker go? "If they beat a drum, they won't beat their mother"

They all used to fight back in the day, didn't they. those were the legends I was told. flipping buses and the like.

Like a bunch of liberal Boston politicians, we didn't call it fighting. We called it, "pressing the flesh."

Hey legend. Cold 'nuff for ya?

Edited by drmr27

To have grown up in Kenosha WI during the mid to late sixties and to have been blessed with seeing the likes of the Kilties, Cavaliers, Racine, Madison, & St. Paul Scouts, Des Plaines Vanguard, Royal Airs, and occasionally Troopers when in the area, man, you had to have been there! You'd have been instantly hooked for life!