some old corps photos

Unlike many out in the regular boards, I am absolutely NOT the kind of poster who takes ANY offense what-so-ever to someone having a different point of view than mine. NO need to apologize at all... that is what a place like DCP is for. When anyone has an opinion and insists on ramming it down everyones throat and stating that opinion as absolute fact for EVERYONE and the experience they had, well then I do speak up.

No offense taken what-so-ever!

NOW, that being said... I agree to a certain extent, and the mistake you cited is absolutely correct: St. Ritas for Boston Crusaders. The West Point-type uniform was indeed a popular one in the early 70's. HOWEVER, we had MANY more styles than we do now in my opinion, and I can give you 10 examples very easily right off the top of my head:

- Kilts

- Madison

- Belleville Black Knights

- Blue Stars (who have now moved one step closer to looking like everyone else just last year)

- 27th Lancers

- Santa Clara Vanguard

- Guardsmen

- Muchacho's

- Phantom Regiment

- Oakland Crusaders

Seeing all those corps on the field at one time was like looking at a candy machine with 10 different candy types in it! LOL

In my opinion, if Blue Devils and Bluecoats took off their headgear today, it would take many fans several minutes to know or figure out the difference! :bigsmile:

Thanks for being so understanding. I will say to help your arguement that back in those days there were tons more corps around.

Can't compete with the recent Baja photos but here are a couple of the Blue Stars from 78

bluestars.JPG

bluestars2.JPG

A couple more of Phantom from 78

78PR2.JPG

78PR5.JPG

A couple of Santa Clara from 78 as well.

78scv5.JPG

78scv7.JPG

I ask because I really do not know. Was it required for DBC's to march Parades at certain Shows.

Yep!

At the 71 Dallas VFW Nats the parade was broadcast on a delay...we had gotten back to our hotel room just in time to see us marching down the street!

I love the picture too Wendy. Thanks for your exquisite words in describing the 70’s Blue Stars guard. An excerpt from Toronto Optimists’ web site about 1976 Seneca Optimists; ‘Colour guard, which was a great strength of the Seneca corps, was instructed by…’ (you know who:-) I want to thank you for being there for the drum corps ladies I grew up with, some of whom may be in the 1969 program scan below when they, um we, were very young. 6 ladies had a small get together in 2006; Jo, Mo, Nick, Nanc, Claire and me. We had fun. btw, the snare on the end in the photo of Del on parade in 1971, page 1658 post 16578, looks like Furiano :bigsmile:

1969-firefighters.jpg

Thanks Linda... I loved those girls Nic, Mo and Claire were great anchors in the Seneca Guard - very solid. I saw them when I was in TO last Fall at a

Seneca get together.. Nic is on Facebook too along with a lot of your Princemen/Firefighter girls. I'm so diggin all these pics and posts here right now.

Here's a few shots of an old Guardsmen bus taken today:

guardsmenbus001.jpg

guardsmenbus002.jpg

I think I remember that bus. If I recall correctly in 1980, we had two buses with significant mechanical issues on the same day. Ended up buying a bus from a church to continue tour.

Brassmen - World Open - July 17, 1971 (Thanks DPEmerald)

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

That's all there is there ain't no more. Enjoy!

Wow, Baja! You did a great job of capturing some neat moments in junior corps history with that little Kodak Instamatic. These brought back a lot of memories from my days of competition. It makes me wish that my corps (Geneva Appleknockers) had gone to the World Open instead of the U.S. Open that year. I was a good year for us and I wish we had made your collection.

Thanks for taking the time to share!